collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spa...the best reason to end summer  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Scott

Spa...the best reason to end summer
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Robem64

Re: Spa...the best reason to end summer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
Really looking forward to the second half of this season.....let battle commence. :yahoo:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
It's always been a favorite of mine. Here are a few numbers:

61 – The number of official Belgian Grands Prix (49 at Spa Francorchamps)
1950 – The year of the first Belgian Grand Prix
6 – Michael Schumacher has the most victories in Belgium (1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001 and 2002)
16 – Ferrari has the most wins among manufacturers in Belgium
44 – Number of Laps in the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix
4.4 miles - Length of the Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, the longest of the season
8.8 miles - The Spa F1 lap length from 1950 to 1978
1:47.263 – Fastest Lap – Sebastian Vettel (2009)
335.3 feet – Elevation change

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:27:34 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
Hamilton looks fast on any tyre.
Palmer staying in the top 10 but still over 2tenths slower than Hulkenberg.
Alonso safely mid-pack.
Kimi ahead of Vettel (despite looking like he is in a rally car on some corners).

Actually an interesting FP

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Massa had a heavy hit in FP1. Damaged the tub enough that he won't be ready for FP2.

59 minutes into FP2 - and it just started to rain! I love Spa!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »
trying to sneakily watch on my i-pad but staff keep walking into my office and bothering me with work stuff!  :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
A note to my fellow Yanks - Quali will be on CNBC, not the usual NBCsn. They just announced it at the end of the FP2 broadcast. TVracer.com still has it listed as NBCsn.
8:00 am Eastern.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Watching practice this morning makes me feel sad to be honest.  The sea of tarmac run off on what is supposed to be one of the most challenging tracks on the calendar is depressing.  This track should not be so easy to drive.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
Watching practice this morning makes me feel sad to be honest.  The sea of tarmac run off on what is supposed to be one of the most challenging tracks on the calendar is depressing.  This track should not be so easy to drive.

Anything to avoid a safety car.  Sure, it would be ideal of the drivers could actually stay between the lines, but any time a car touches a barrier or spins into a gravel trap everything crawls to a halt and the races become a throw of the dice instead of a test of skill.

Maybe in the next revision of the formula they can design the cars so they're tougher than tissue.  Even if the suspension systems were twice as heavy, it's not like the cars would suddenly become unwieldy beasts.  I remember races in the 90s with drivers putting in heroic efforts to bring home damaged cars.  I'm sure it was even more common in the past.  Now it's a 'heroic' drive to finish missing a winglet or with a slight vibration from a flatspot.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
I'm ok with the runoff areas.  I would lean towards safety anyway, and especially at the top of Eau Rouge, it is just too crazy to leave it as grass or gravel.  As long as the stewards punish 4 wheels off the track infractions, pave the heck out of it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
I got a smile from this week's edition of FIA Grid Penalty Mania. Massa got a ding for running through a yellow flag. Once all of the many other penalties were sorted out, Fellipe ended up in his original grid spot!  :confused:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
Anything to avoid a safety car.  Sure, it would be ideal of the drivers could actually stay between the lines, but any time a car touches a barrier or spins into a gravel trap everything crawls to a halt and the races become a throw of the dice instead of a test of skill.

Because they use the safety car when they should not.  This is another problem with modern formula 1.  They've become paranoid since the tragic death of Bianchi and use the virtual and actual safety cars far too often as a result.

I'm ok with the runoff areas.  I would lean towards safety anyway, and especially at the top of Eau Rouge, it is just too crazy to leave it as grass or gravel.  As long as the stewards punish 4 wheels off the track infractions, pave the heck out of it.

Hardly anyone crashes at Spa any more because it's too easy to drive.  They go flat out through Eau Rouge because they know there are no consequences if they do.  In the past, drivers would often lift slightly.  Villeneuve and Zonta tried not lifting in their BARs in the 1999 qualifying session and had huge accidents accordingly.  Now the drivers just go through it as though it were a straight line.  It's too easy.  Pouhon is another example.  Yes, most drivers were lifting a touch this year, but again, it's too easy without the gravel because they know that if they go off, they'll just sail gently over the tarmac and rejoin.  It's depressing.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
F1 now has too much downforce to do Spa the way it was meant to be done. They careen through not because they no longer fear it going wrong, but because they know the only plausible way of it going wrong in the first place is if you are in a pink car and are near another pink car...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 04:07:06 PM »
Well said, Ali!   :DD  :DD  :good:
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle