collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 165
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lewis Hamilton Going Vegan  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Jericoke

Lewis Hamilton Going Vegan
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:10:26 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4892966/Lewis-Hamilton-mission-vegan.html

I'm very much a meat an potatoes (and chocolate) kind of girl, but more and more people going vegan is hard to ignore.

I suspect that in another generation or so, veganism will be normal and eating meat will be seen with some disdain.  I'm not looking forward to those days at all, but I am aware of the environmental costs of raising meat, so I do get it.

Offline Ian

Re: Lewis Hamilton Going Vegan
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »
Veganism ain't for me either Jeri, I like me veggies but sharing a plate with roast tatties and roast lamb(my favourite Sunday joint)is the way for me.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
I don't think people will stop eating meat (at least, not on Earth - space missions will probably be all-vegan until colonies on other planets are developed), though I suspect in 100 years' time, it will typically be eaten as an occasional treat rather than something expected every day.

Part of the reason for that is that more health benefits for eating fish, particularly oily fish, get discovered each year (the same is true for eating vegetables, so expect vegetarianism and veganism to become more popular with time regardless).

Another is that vegetarianism, let alone veganism, is tricky to balance nutritionally for a child. People are apt to eat similar diets as adults as they do as children, which will slow down the rate at which meat exits diets - and the forms that replace it (for example, expect battery-bred chicken to give way to a mixture of free-range chicken, lamb (which is difficult to breed in a "battery" fashion", fish and vegetable-based alternatives).

Finally, meat has traditionally been seen as a rich person's status symbol - some meats still are. (Certainly, 400 years ago, British working-class people were vegetarian for most of the year, because they couldn't afford meat once it was out of season). If meat production drops, especially the cheaper methods most under pressure, that situation will recur.

For myself, I am open to eating meat, although for a number of reasons* I avoid non-offal beef when other options are available, and I've never eaten veal or foie gras. I eat between 2 and 6 portions of oily fish a week (it'll be the higher end this week because I have a cold), but I also enjoy eating lots and lots of vegetables. Even the occasional soya portion or Quorn fillet.

* - The reasons, for anyone interested, are:

Cows have been scientifically demonstrated to have particular friends within their herd. This is not the case with sheep, pigs or (to the best of my knowledge) any other animal that is offered for sale as food in my local shops - at least, not consistently across the lifespan of a typical animal grown for food.

Beef is by far the most polluting type of meat there is. Pretty much every other option (even veal) can, under certain circumstances, either be less ecologically damaging than the vegetarian alternative or complement it (for example, by providing sufficient rich fertiliser to allow more plants to be grown than are consumed by the animals involved, which offsets the artificial fertiliser otherwise needed). This is not the case for beef, because by the time a cow has finished processing grass, there isn't much in the way of nutrients left in its manure. (I'm OK with eating beef offal because, given how much less popular beef offal is than beef steaks, consuming offal creates no more pollution than throwing it away).

Finally, I find it very difficult to cook right. Granted that this isn't really an issue when I'm eating away from home, but surely it's better for me to pick food I'm less likely to waste by burning or turning into gristle?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
Speaking as a Restaurateur, I can vouch that Vegans are an annoying bunch.  Any kitchen can put together a delicious vegetarian dish, but Vegan cooking with flavour and with something typically found on our shelves or in our fridge, is an art most of us can't get near.  And Vegans are for the most part really picky and demanding.  When we get a request for Vegan - typically while we are serving the main course to a group - it throws the kitchen into chaos.  Message to Vegans dining out...order your meal days in advance, be very specific about your preferences and maybe just pack along your own food.  |-( |-(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
The word "vegan" comes from an ancient word meaning "incompetent hunter."  (Somebody had to say it  ;)   )

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
The word "vegan" comes from an ancient word meaning "incompetent hunter."  (Somebody had to say it  ;)   )

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle