collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 528
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes "half way to signing" Verstappen for 2019  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Robem64

Mercedes "half way to signing" Verstappen for 2019
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05j20xg

Not quite sure how you get halfway to signing someone but what do I know.

I can't see Max being as compliant as Bottas though - Mercedes could be in danger of having the same driver cauldron they had when Rosberg was there. No way would Max play a supporting role.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

Re: Mercedes "half way to signing" Verstappen for 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05j20xg

Not quite sure how you get halfway to signing someone but what do I know.

I can't see Max being as compliant as Bottas though - Mercedes could be in danger of having the same driver cauldron they had when Rosberg was there. No way would Max play a supporting role.

Lest we forget that before Mercedes had Hamilton they had Schumacher and Rosberg.  While neither was vying for the championship, neither was playing a 'supporting' role either.  I don't think Mercedes wants a #2 driver.  They want the two best drivers they can get, period.  If it causes fireworks great; just so long as they aren't knocking each other out.

I think most teams take this approach now.  Usually one driver is better than the other, but gone are the days of hiring a driver who is going to 'settle' for number 2.  True, it's nice to have drivers who will understand that maximizing the team strategy is a good thing, but nobody wants to arrive at Australia knowing they're there to help their teammate win.

Hopefully Max is mellowing.  He's hardly the first driver to enter the sport on a wave of arrogance and then settle down.  (There's plenty of drivers who entered the sport humbly have have grown into a wave of arrogance)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
My guess is Hamilton will be gone if Verstappen is signed.  Just a hunch.  They will never play well together.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
Maybe that's what the "halfway" is - trying to find a deal that Lewis will be agreeable to.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 02:41:13 AM »
My guess is Hamilton will be gone if Verstappen is signed.  Just a hunch.  They will never play well together.

Hamilton and Rosberg were supposedly best buds, don't you think he'd love to have a teammate he has no problem pushing around?

I also don't think that Hamilton would back down from taking on a skilled teammate.  That would require admitting he may not be the best.  That doesn't square with the Hamilton I know.

If Mercedes is going to continue to dominate the sport, then intra team drama is going to be the key for F1 to continue providing entertainment.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
And just to add this into the mix we have a story saying Red Bull have selected Max as their lead driver!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/red-bull-daniel-ricciardo-already-on-the-market/news-story/30cf802b8c1a5c1e449f686d631dbd05

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
Wow! Marko is really slapping Danny Ric around. I hope Daniel ends up at a team where he can kick Max's backside on a regular basis.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
Wow! Marko is really slapping Danny Ric around. I hope Daniel ends up at a team where he can kick Max's backside on a regular basis.

Couldn't agree more......big DanRic fan I am  :good:

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
Marko is such an idiot.  Riccardo would and probably has done more for the RB brand (outside Holland) than MV ever will.

Such a shame.  I hope DR moves to Ferrari.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle