collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: US Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Scott

Re: US Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
Though I'm a bit nervous about race control having any control of car functions, I think it could be applied carefully and made to work.  I like the asphalt runoff's, I think they are far safer than other options - gravel and grass, but if drivers continue to not pay attention to the track boundaries, then bring in some system. 

As for if the penalties are evenly applied, like Jeri said, many infractions were simply errors when no advantage was gained.  In those cases it is pointless to apply a penalty, but when it's an obvious attempt to overtake out of the track boundaries - sorry - yank him off the podium, but explain very clearly to all the fans what the problem was...even run the replay above the podium so people can understand why Kimi is there instead of Max.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
and maybe just shouldn't be allowed near a microphone until they've seen the replay.
^^^ so true  :D

We have discussed track limits before. We seem to be stuck with tracks that allow run-off areas due to safety concerns, I therefore still favour the use of technology. Have sensors in the car so that if they register the car exceeding track limits they set the engine into a low power mode for the next 20seconds (obviously not a dramatic loss of power, just enough to penalise the the car's current position). Then if a car goes off deliberately, accidentally or is even forced off - there is a penalty but not a draconian one (when I used to race, if you went off you either went into the kitty litter or a barrier - either way it tended to be terminal!).

I like the idea, but for cars racing wheel to wheel in a heated battle, one of them suddenly losing power can be very dangerous. Further, if a car simply avoids a crash by getting out of the way of a reckless driver then the wrong car would be penalized.  Finally, in this specific case (Max passing on (or more accurately:  inside) the second last corner), I don't think it would have had any effect on the finishing order.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »
No advantage gained keeps raising it head but if you leave the confines of the circuit there should be a penalty such as a 5 second penalty during the race or the lap not allowed in Quali until that come into force and the stewards continue to allow it in some places and not other the drivers will push the boundaries.
Set the rules that if tyres go over the track limits line a penalty will apply the drivers will very quickly comply and the fan will know what is going on.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 01:29:31 AM »
Sounds good, but you would have to have official observers for every corner, maybe more than one.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 04:25:57 AM »
Sounds good, but you would have to have official observers for every corner, maybe more than one.

We're in the age of electronics so I would expect there to be something out there that would do the job and remember every inch of every circuit is already covered by multiple cameras. Look at what is achieved with Tennis and Cricket and no doubt other sports do as well.
But saying all that is it realistically going to happen?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
The penalty is for gaining advantage from exceeding track limits and Max is banged to rights for that. Just being off track does not always give advantage but in Max' case advantage was enormous, most cases of outside track limits are not so clear cut.

I personally think he should have been penalised for his pass on Bottas, he forced the Merc off the track, Bottas rejoined but his momentum was compromised and Max took an unfair advantage.

Lewis got a penalty, a few years Back, for conceding back a place then using better speed from momentum to overtake again immediately.

I'm not in favour of penalties for every car outside track limits I prefer the Touring car system giving a flag warning to offenders that continuing to transgress will result in penalty. This also makes other drivers pay attention more.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:34:56 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle