collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Max won't apologize  (Read 2447 times)

Online Dare

Max won't apologize
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
Just when I was sorta started to not dislike him. Says he didn't
gain any advantage cutting the corner on Kimi. Does anyone
else think Max was treated unfairly in his podium removal?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11099577/max-verstappen-cuts-a-corner-to-avoid-apology-to-us-gp-stewards

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

Re: Max won't apologize
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
As I have said previously I'm very much in favour of track limits but it has to be consistent and understandable to the paying public which at present it is not!
If they are to enforce track limits do so for the track not just the bits they think an advantage can be gained as if they are not gaining an advantage why go out there?
Max's pass was exceptional and a highlight of the race so without any consultation or explanation they embarrassed themselves by removing him from the podium, they delayed the start because it suited them so delay the podium to sort that!
Rant over.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »
It happened on the last lap of the race so it didn't give them
much time to beat the podium. Right decision and maybe but I
doubt it Max has to learn other don't have to get out of his way just
because he's Mad Max. Rant maybe over ;)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
It seems he is sorry and maybe he was afraid that if he wasn't it would go further.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
I think it's time for the FIA to pull everyone into a room and read the riot act to them...drivers, team principals and hangers-on, like Lauda who get mic's pressed in their faces.  Ragging on the officials decisions in the press is the WRONG way to handle things.  Build a realistic arbitrator policy (not a team of lawyers in Geneva) so they can go and make positive changes to the way things are officiated, but IMO spouting off to the F1 press about an 'idiot steward' should get you at least a race exclusion - driver or team depending on which mouthpiece made the infraction.  Mika Salo has had death threats to him and his family for crying out loud...if there is an idiot in the room it is Max, Horner and anyone else who has singled out a steward.

As for Max, he certainly DID gain an advantage by using a piece of track which normally wouldn't have been available to him to pass Kimi.  This kid has to be put in his place before he gets a WDC or he will be impossible to deal with from both team management and FIA discipline points of view.

As I already mentioned, I am in favour of late race penalties being explained on the podium using replays and explanations from someone like Ross Brawn on the mic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:53:34 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
Here's a link about the death threats on Salo:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-us-grand-prix-steward-receives-death-threats-over-verstappen-penalty

That's absolutely ridiculous. That person needs to be found and incarcerated for a few years.

In many sports here in the States, there's a strategy called "playing the ref." Have the coach complain loudly about a close call by an official in hopes of influencing the next questionable situation. That may be what's going on here.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
The death threats are disgusting, also I've watched the replay of Max's overtake on youtube several times, Kimi obviously sees MV coming through on the inside and actually moves to the left, changed my mind on the penalty, it was deserved but the track limits rule needs looking at, think it was di Resta that said on the off track side of the white line have a couple of foot of grass and then the tarmac run-off, sounded like a good idea to me.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
Apparently there is some behind the scenes discussion as to whether Max may find himself in trouble for bringing the sport into disrepute.  Horner uses a bizarre defence that if it’s ok for Hammy to criticize Trump then it must be ok for MV to go after a steward.  Hmmm, I think Horner singled him out as well, didn’t he?  Maybe the water’s heating up on Christian too?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:10:20 AM by Scott »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »

As I already mentioned, I am in favour of late race penalties being explained on the podium using replays and explanations from someone like Ross Brawn on the mic.

You've been to live races: there is never any explanation of any penalties.  It would be a nice addition, given most sports have a visible referee explaining a penalty via hand signals.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »

You've been to live races: there is never any explanation of any penalties.  It would be a nice addition, given most sports have a visible referee explaining a penalty via hand signals.

That would be great...an interruption of the race commentary for audio by Ross Brawn explaining each penalty.  I would love that.   :good: :good: :good: 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle