collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 274
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mexican Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Jericoke

Mexican Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »
Heroes:

Lewis Hamilton, naturally.  He won the championship.  He could have just sat back and taken it easy, but he wanted to win, and took chances he didn't need to.  Sure, he was burned by those chances, but he understands here's there for the fans to watch him race, not to sit back and collect accolades.  Well done Lewis on putting in a focused season, and putting on a show for those of us who watch F1 to see racers racing.

Sebastian Vettel:  He was in a tough spot for this race, with very slim title hopes neither taking big risks nor playing safe was going to be a great choice.  I'm glad he took risks, even though they didn't pan out, and I'm glad that when things didn't pan out he put his nose to the grindstone and proved  he is still a world champion calibre driver.

Max Verstappen:  Another driver who could play things safe and just sit back as he does his job, but he doesn't.  He pushes the car, he takes chances.  He's reckless, he's a bit of an arrogant ass, but he's exciting to watch.

Kimi, Stroll, Ocon, Perez, Magnussen, and Alonso all put in strong days.  In other races, or with a little luck they would have been 'heroes', but today they were just footnotes, drivers who did their best in the shadow of a greater story.

Pirelli:  they've created a large array of tires available on a race weekend, and this is one of the first times I've seen teams on a huge variety of strategies and compounds.  It was quite interesting seeing everything play out.

Mexican Fans:  many of the races provide an amazing atmosphere that you can feel watching from home, but I think that the Mexican fans are enjoying it more than anyone.  Those grandstands are amazing, and seeing everyone raise in solidarity on lap 19 in honour of the earthquake victims was truly moving.

Zeroes:

Renault/Honda/FIA engine rules.  I get it, having Ferrari buy championships with an unlimited supply of engines in the Schumacher era was going to kill the sport, but watching world champion quality drivers getting 35 place grid drops doesn't bring fans.  Watching a parking lot of smoking Renault powered cars doesn't bring fans.  Seeing cars that are unsafe to touch doesn't bring fans, and it does bring immense danger.  What if an ERS system contacts a metal catch fence where marshals are waiting 'safely'?

I don't think any drivers or teams deserve to be on the 'Zero' side.  At this point in the season, the cars are what they are, the pit crews are running like clockwork, the drivers have respect and understanding for those around them.  The racing is tight and close, but never silly or stupid.

Offline Scott

Re: Mexican Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:45 PM »
Lewis did nothing wrong except for whatever reason he sat back in last place for 20 laps or so while Vettel climbed the ranks.  I am of the (conspiracy?) opinion that Vettel made a small correction as Hammy was almost past him to try to (successfully) flatten his rear tire.  The Swiss commentators also agreed with me, that his contact with Hamilton was intentional.  But Vettel was fun to watch climb back towards the front, and if anything had gone wrong with MV, he might have had to ask Kimi to move over to prevent Lewis winning in Mexico, and that would have been a fun way to take the championship through another race or two.  Loved his "Mama Mia" when told how many seconds Kimi was ahead.

MV put no foot wrong in the race and deserved the win.  His pass was clean at the beginning and he respected back markers as he lapped them, and even had the class to stand aside at the end and let Lewis get almost all the attention.  I still was hoping his engine would blow up for most of the race, but that wouldn't have been his fault aside from trying to get every FL of the latter half of the race.

I completely agree about the Mexican fans.  They may well be the most emotional and well behaved fans on the calendar.  In Italy Hamilton would have been mobbed on a run like that and probably stripped for souvenirs.  The Mexicans just wanted a few selfie's while they ran with him and then let him get on with it.

As for engine rules and the FIA, I said in chat that I would prefer if they just ditch all the silly hybrid bits and just use IC engines and be allowed to work on aero and suspension.  Leave the electrics to the electric series. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »
Did he or didn't he but as Lewis said it really doesn't matter now although if SV did intentionally side swipe Lewis's rear tyre it was a risky move. The accusation only comes about due to his previous history.

Renault fall while Honda achieve it'll be an interesting ride for Toro Rosso in 2018 and is there a chance that McLaren will be regretting the change?

There was an interesting comment from Brundle saying that DR should leave Red Bull as they will concentrate on Max so maybe a an Aussie in a Mercedes or Ferrari for 2019?

With both Championships decided will the final two races be F1 classics?

Is Brazil Massa's swan song again?

I'm already concerned about the closed season! When does testing start?

I agree with Jeri no zero's for this week just questions.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
I agree that DR should look elsewhere, but he also needs to choose carefully.  Probably any team Fernando isn't with is a good start.  ;) :D

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 02:03:11 AM »
I agree that DR should look elsewhere, but he also needs to choose carefully.  Probably any team Fernando isn't with is a good start.  ;) :D

Very true but his only real options are Merc's or Ferrari so its Lewis or Seb and I suppose Seb could veto that?
McLaren and Renault maybe a good partnership depending on what Renault bring along next year.
I think Toro Rosso maybe the dark horse if the Honda donkey comes good.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:19 AM »
If Vettel has any veto powes I bet he;ll use them
against Danny moving to Ferrari...I believe  Danny
showing up Seb is why Vettel left RB. And Danny
wants to win not play 2nd fiddle
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
Most of the heroes I'd list have already been mentioned. I do want to throw in a cheer for the Mexican fans. They're a real change from the empty stands and bored V.I.P.s of many other races. The Day of the Dead celebrations helped, too.

I have to give a Hero shout to K-Mag. He pulled Haas to within one point of Renault for seventh in the Constructors Championship.  :yahoo:

A bit of trivia - the last time a somebody won the WDC in a race where he was lapped was also a Brit. James Hunt, Fuji, 1976.

I'd also like to see them scrap the compulsory hybrids, too. The FIA has killed LMP1 with their ridiculous hybrid rules for 2018 and they seem intent on killing F1, too.

One thing I mentioned in the Chat Room during the race. Alonso will officially have REnault power for next season. Maybe Renault suffered from the Fernando Curse kicking in early in Mexico City.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »
If Vettel has any veto powes I bet he;ll use them
against Danny moving to Ferrari...I believe  Danny
showing up Seb is why Vettel left RB. And Danny
wants to win not play 2nd fiddle

Ferrari very much has a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude.  If Seb had won a championship, sure, he'd get to choose his teammate, but he hasn't, so why NOT hire the guy who beat Seb in identical equipment?  After Seb and Kimi, I think Ferrari's marketing would be well served by someone with a genuine smile.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
I tend to agree with Jeri on this one...I doubt Vettel has veto power over the choice of a teammate.  If Ferrari decide it is time for Kimi to go, they certainly WON'T be asking Seb who he thinks will be a good tailgunner...they want someone to push him to the limit.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 08:30:36 PM »
Ferrari aren't going to give Vettel 100 million then do something
to p*ss him off. I still think he's gets special treatment. Ask Kimi
after Monaco
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
I think Jeri has this covered.
My only comments - I think Hamilton was told to look after the tyres until they saw that Vettel was carving through the field and would end-up with a 'free' pit stop. Then Hamilton was allowed to do what he needed to cover off any chance of Vettel winning.
I do not think Vettel consciously tried to puncture Hamilton's tyre but I do think he could easily of avoided any impact. Therefore, perhaps thisas another 'red mist' moment for Seb.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
I think the ‘rub’ was intentional, whether it was meant to puncture a tire or just a tap - nobody can really say but Seb.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle