collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 354
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes bus robbed  (Read 2465 times)

Online Dare

Mercedes bus robbed
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »
Every year something like this happens at Brazil....this problem needsto be addressed before someone dies

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11122045/mercedes-team-members-unhurt-after-minibus-robbed-at-gunpoint

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline ChrisCurtis

Re: Mercedes bus robbed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
Agreed, each year the robbers seem to get more and more brave. It’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed. Then the powers that be in F1 will do something. That has a distinct feeling of dejavu, F1 reacting to someone losing their life....

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
And yet fans complain about losing 'traditional' races.  F1 has no business being in Interlagos, it's simply not safe, and yet fans consistently consider it one of the best races of the year.  It's one thing for drivers and mechanics to accept risks on track, but something else entirely for fans to expect them take risks off track.

Brazil was willing to pour money into single use facilities for the World Cup and Olympics, surely they can build a world class race track somewhere safer.  Like other fans, I'd hate to give up a good race, but I don't want F1 risking lives for my amusement either.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
It's in a crappy part of the city, so the team vehicles have to bolt to and from the hotel zone.  I would hold the promoters responsible and demand either a policed route to and from the hotels or that they build hotel facilities for the team directly at the track. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:56:36 PM »
The route already is specifically policed (with security being stepped up, to no avail, on both Saturday and Sunday) and there's at least 4 hotels on Booking.com on that street (2 on either side of the main gate into the track) that still had places for race day... ...during qualifying. It doesn't seem to be sufficient :(
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
Personally I love to get away to races - this is one I would avoid even though I'd love to visit Brazil. If a team bus can get held up at gunpoint - how does the average punter fare in a place like this.

F1 need to get serious and tough on repeat incidents like this - the place is not safe. Drop it from the calendar until safety can be assured - surely there are lots of other safer places which would love to host F1? I know money talks but not at the expense of people safety, security and as others have said - how long before a life is lost.

It can't be right to entertain dangerous places yet drop off a race like Malaysia which, in all honesty, could not be friendlier and more hospitable.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Dare

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
How many lives or lost we never hear about during
the Brazil GP race week.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »
The homicide rate in Sao Paulo is down remarkably in the last decade, but it is a bit murky to find much on muggings, which seem to be on the rise through reporting on various tourist sites (though this can be interpreted differently because it is heresay rather than factual).  The tactic most often talked about is being mugged while in a taxi stuck in traffic.  A couple of guys on a motorbike pull up to your stopped taxi, point a gun and demand wallets, phones and watches and then take off into the traffic while you are still stuck in your cab.  Rarely is anyone hurt.  Almost indefensible and not very preventable.  Buses are not recommended, so safe transportation is a bit of an issue.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:07:22 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
Personally I love to get away to races - this is one I would avoid even though I'd love to visit Brazil. If a team bus can get held up at gunpoint - how does the average punter fare in a place like this.

F1 need to get serious and tough on repeat incidents like this - the place is not safe. Drop it from the calendar until safety can be assured - surely there are lots of other safer places which would love to host F1? I know money talks but not at the expense of people safety, security and as others have said - how long before a life is lost.

It can't be right to entertain dangerous places yet drop off a race like Malaysia which, in all honesty, could not be friendlier and more hospitable.

Wot he said!  :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
At least the FIA is looking into it:

https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/361022/fia-f1-to-discuss-event-security-at-wmsc/

There is precedent to remove the GP from the season.  When there were racist incidents in Spain, the FIA promised to cancel future Spanish Grands Prix if it was repeated.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/may/10/lewis-hamilton-racism-spanish-grand-prix

It's not up to the FIA to protect their teams; it's up to the promoter to provide a safe venue.  Brazil has been given numerous opportunities, and while I'd hate to lose a generally entertaining race track, it's time to show that safety truly is the FIA's number one mandate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle