collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 402
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari claims leaving F1 would save them £100m  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Scott

Ferrari claims leaving F1 would save them £100m
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
Sure, do the math anyway you like, but I think a departure would ultimately cost them, not save them a thing. 

If they closed down their F1 factory in Marenella, they would be on the hook for the debt on the building, employee contract payouts, along with any tax incentives they received to build and run it there.  Then there are sponsorship contracts, some of which surely go beyond the 2020 season.  Street car sales would dip - hard to correlate, but without a doubt there would be some effect.

I'm not one to try to convince them to stay, I just don't like the spin on this story.  I hope they leave, and make it as loud as they like.

https://www.pitpass.com/60728/Withdrawal-from-F1-would-boost-Ferrari-by-100m

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Ferrari claims leaving F1 would save them £100m
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:06:40 PM »
I think the entire F1 establishment would be happy if Ferrari slashed their budget by 100M.

If they can't win on a level playing field, maybe their product really is crap.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
I think Ferrari needs F1 every bit as much as F1 needs them. They're identity is based on their racing. They are the ultimate example of "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
I think Ferrari needs F1 every bit as much as F1 needs them. They're identity is based on their racing. They are the ultimate example of "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday."

Certainly F1 was the core business of Ferrari for many years... but plenty of businesses drift from their core business.  I think the Ferrari name is pretty much locked in as as the top 'luxury sports car' brand in the world, and their competitors aren't in F1, so I don't think winning or losing in F1 will make much difference.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
I would call Bugatti the top luxury sports car brand in the world as far as pure luxury and speed.  But aside from a few others who make very small production runs, only Lamborghini springs to mind as a competitor on the same calibre as Mclaren is to Ferrari.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
Sure it would cost Ferrari some one off costs to leave F1 but any savings would exist in perpetuity so the 100m a year is probably true. Years ago Ferrari ran the test track at Maranello purely for F1 but they seem to have repurposed that within the customer car scheme. Similarly a lot of the F1 factory could be turned into a performance car builder or a base for a World sports car LMP 1 team.

My feeling is this is part of Ferrari attempting to head off removal of their special status, however others like Toyota & BMW have bit the bullet when the economics were wrong.

I think F1 would be much the poorer without Ferrari.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »
Of course Ferrari are trying to head off their special status removal, but don't forget F1 would be richer without that special status.  If I was in charge at Liberty, I would hand Ferrari a new contract when the current one expires with no special status, same goes for the entire grid.  Recalculate the revenue and WCC payout with the new media and if its a bigger pot, spread it more evenly. 

Earn your money...there should be no tenure in F1.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »
Scott that is easy to say and difficult to achieve as all the top teams, Red Bull & McLaren included get enhanced payments for one reason or another. I rather think that more than Ferrari might call it a day if the extra payment system stops.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
Of course Ferrari are trying to head off their special status removal, but don't forget F1 would be richer without that special status.  If I was in charge at Liberty, I would hand Ferrari a new contract when the current one expires with no special status, same goes for the entire grid.  Recalculate the revenue and WCC payout with the new media and if its a bigger pot, spread it more evenly. 

Earn your money...there should be no tenure in F1.

I'd like to see prize money removed from the sport entirely, each team gets an equal share of the pot, and then makes their own sponsorship deals.  Things will never get interesting if Sauber's main purpose is to provide a full grid so that Ferrari can get paid.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Looks like even the Fiat boss isn't convinced, since he just allowed Alfa Romeo to title-sponsor another F1 team  :DD
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Looks like even the Fiat boss isn't convinced, since he just allowed Alfa Romeo to title-sponsor another F1 team  :DD

A quick online search doesn't provide a lot of solid detail, but FCA sold Ferrari in 2016.  Ferrari is now owned by a Dutch company called Ferrari NV that still operates in Maranello.

So corporately, Fiat has no ties to Ferrari, though many FCA executives would own Ferrari shares, in which case sponsoring Ferrari might actually constitute some sort of anit-trust in European law (surely directing Fiat's corporate money into what is a personal investment is wrong?)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »

A quick online search doesn't provide a lot of solid detail, but FCA sold Ferrari in 2016.  Ferrari is now owned by a Dutch company called Ferrari NV that still operates in Maranello.

So corporately, Fiat has no ties to Ferrari, though many FCA executives would own Ferrari shares, in which case sponsoring Ferrari might actually constitute some sort of anit-trust in European law (surely directing Fiat's corporate money into what is a personal investment is wrong?)

If an individual or syndicated investor has more than 5% in a company, a wrongful trading claim is possible, though there are measures that can be taken to avoid this. I cannot tell from here if that applies.

If Fiat has no corporate ties to Ferrari, it makes sense - though I must wonder how Ferrari NV would save £100 million in net funds from leaving F1. In the short-term it would be a saving, but the reputation mining would at some point catch up with them.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle