collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Last few race seats still open  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Scott

Last few race seats still open
« on: November 19, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
Basically, there are three.  The two Sauber seats, which nobody really cares about anyway (I weep when I admit this), and the one remaining Williams seat. 

Stroll is confirmed for one, but there are 4 rumoured drivers waiting to hear about the other seat - Kubica, DiResta, Kvyat and Wehrlein.  I would choose Wehrlein, but is he old enough to satisfy Martini? 

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Last few race seats still open
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
I'd pick Massa so he could have his annual
going away race in Brazil next year
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »
Today reports are swirling that Kubica has inked a 2yr deal with Williams, but Williams are denying it.  Something strange...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:13:37 AM »
Basically, there are three.  The two Sauber seats, which nobody really cares about anyway (I weep when I admit this), and the one remaining Williams seat. 

Stroll is confirmed for one, but there are 4 rumoured drivers waiting to hear about the other seat - Kubica, DiResta, Kvyat and Wehrlein.  I would choose Wehrlein, but is he old enough to satisfy Martini?

Now that Sauber is mandated to use modern engines, they should be more competitive, a great place for a young driver to put in a surprise performance.

And if Sauber does want to go retro, they can sign a slew of drivers and let the courts settle it again.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
My feeling is that Kubica has satisfied most in the Williams team with his better times in tests than Di Resta or young Sirotkin and the marketing side know Robert is a much better bet than any others. However someone is not happy with the deal on the table, either team or driver wants a different deal - e.g. 1 or 2 year deal.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
...someone is not happy with the deal on the table, either team or driver wants a different deal - e.g. 1 or 2 year deal.

That makes sense...perhaps Williams offered a 1yr deal (more sensible considering so many unknowns with Kubica), and his management leaked the 2yr deal story to pressure them to extend.  Problem is, if they p*ss off Williams, I am bet they will pass on him.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:24 PM »
...someone is not happy with the deal on the table, either team or driver wants a different deal - e.g. 1 or 2 year deal.

That makes sense...perhaps Williams offered a 1yr deal (more sensible considering so many unknowns with Kubica), and his management leaked the 2yr deal story to pressure them to extend.  Problem is, if they p*ss off Williams, I am bet they will pass on him.

That's true, if there's one team with a history of treating their drivers like 'just another interchangeable part of the team', it's Williams.  I know that F1 is a star driven sport, but I also think that a few drivers would do well to remember they're a replaceable commodity.  (I think Kimi's deep understanding of that is part of his allure)

I would like to see Kubica back in the sport, and I can see why he'd want a 2 year term, but also with seats opening up next year, maybe Kubica is the one who wants flexibility (no slight intended):  if he has a great year at a mediocre team, surely he can move on to a better team.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »
Last I heard, there was an insurance issue - Robert got a payout, a quite substantial one, when he crashed - because it was assumed by the insurer he'd never return to F1, no matter how good the rehabilitation work was. (I will leave it to you to decide whether Robert's insurer had done due diligence on him...). Other series just don't pay so highly, so while he was competing in WRC, sportscars and whatever else crossed his path, this was no problem.

Obviously, going to Williams would entail rejoining F1. Which means someone, somewhere, must pay that insurance payout back. Robert may not be able to do this, or at least not immediately, as he spent the money on rehabilitation and competing in WRC (including his own team). As a result, there were/are negotiations in place for whether Williams would pay it instead (and how much less generous the contract would be needed to make that work - Williams aren't the wealthiest team in F1). It's possible that a provisional agreement may be signed, but if so it is conditional on the insurer arrangement being settled. Which would, for once, mean both sides are telling the truth.

Of course, Jeri's theory works just fine in this context too - Robert would not want to pass up the opportunity for a title if someone had the right opening at the right time, and Williams isn't ready for that yet.

di Resta is being kept as an alternative in case Kubica doesn't work out from a financial perspective (and also to prevent Kubica's negotiating team from demanding too much...). Also, it's useful for him to be around in case some other surprise problem occurs, because for a calm, uncluttered bloke, Robert never seems far away from drama. Sirotkin, I suspect, is auditioning for a reserve role, but might get the race role if for some reason both Kubica and di Resta mess up their auditions/negotiations (I doubt di Resta will). Any additional pressure this yields is, of course, right up Williams' street.

That Kyvat is not being invited to the test makes me think he's somehow managed to do something to rule himself out of the seat. I hope that's because he's already figured out where he's going and it's not there (if it was there, Williams wouldn't bother doing a "shootout" for a race seat that didn't involve him).

Sauber does interest me, largely because I think my new favourite upcomer Charles Leclerc is getting one of the seats. If Sauber is smart, it will resist pressure from Ferrari to have two rookies, keeping Marcus Ericsson in the other seat. Yes, Antonio Giovanazzi is almost certainly faster than Marcus. However, Marcus knows the Sauber inside out and can make sure the development doesn't wander too far off-course while Charles goes chasing after those points. (It's sad that Antonio doesn't get a race seat in this scenario, but I think one extra year in development will do him a lot of good, and there will be more seats available at the end of 2018).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »
That makes much more sense.  Thanks for the clarification Ali. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
It looks like Kubica is also waiting for his FIA medical clearance:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/robert-kubica-still-needs-fia-clearance-prior-f1-return
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »
It looks like Kubica is also waiting for his FIA medical clearance:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/robert-kubica-still-needs-fia-clearance-prior-f1-return

Technically, full-season medical clearance cannot be granted by the FIA until the formal 2018 Superlicence application is made (the criteria are less strict for tests, and since Robert wasn't doing a race in 2017, there was no point in asking for the full medical - especially as that would have made Williams look over-keen and possibly resulted in a more expensive eventual contract). So it is not surprising that formal medical clearance is required for 2018 to work. That's another good reason to keep di Resta and Sirotkin testing ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle