collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi heroes and zeros  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Dare

Abu Dhabi heroes and zeros
« on: November 26, 2017, 11:17:33 PM »
Pretty uneventful raise  guess the highlights were was
Huck/s penalty fair.

Did Lewis let Bottas win? I think so

And the Mclaren actually passed a car. Was
it the Honda engine improving are Ferd's driving.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Abu Dhabi heroes and zeros
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:00:07 AM »
Bottas put in a flawless race, and had very little TV time accordingly. 

Stroll and Grosjean put in pretty poor performances, and yet provided an interesting scrap, and got plenty of TV time.

Alonso definitely put in another amazing race with a mediocre car.

Besides that,  a fairly dull affair.  I'll give credit to the people providing camera angles, they knew there wasn't going to be much on track, so there were plenty of interesting views of architecture blocking the 'action'.  It's a lovely facility and seems like a great city.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:41 AM »
Don't think the penalty made much difference. All Perez had to do was stay close to Hulk and pass him in the pits and despite a nearly 9 second pitstop for Hulk, Perez couldn't do it. I would give a small shout out to Wehrlein who had the underpowered Sauber well into the mid-field on a power track.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Zeros - only one; the track. Truly awful. Without a doubt the most boring race of the season and if Tilke thinks he can improve it "with a small change of one corner" then he is more deluded that even I believed!

Credit to Bottas but he will be aware that Hamilton was easily going to get pole until he had that oversteer moment in the last section -he was 3 tenths up! Bottas will also realise that Hamilton was much faster than him during the race. Considering how bad the Mercedes is when following other cars the fact that Hamilton stayed so close for so long shows that if the track had any overtaking places he would have sailed past. His tyres must have been wrecked by the end of the race (due to the way the car responds in turbulent air, he was understeering in every corner and spinning the rears in every exit).
Really pleased that Massa finished in the points (fingers crossed they put DiResta in that car next year).

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
(fingers crossed they put DiResta in that car next year).

Seeing as Williams can now only make wrong end of midfield cars why not.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 11:45:29 PM »
This track is the zero of the year. If they don't get rid of it thei
could at least schudule it earlier in the year. A track you can't pass
on for  the final race of the tear is a sad end for the season
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:21:23 AM »
+1  :good: :good: :good:
Lonny

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
As I was at the race the on track entertainment was poor - and that's an understatement. The crowd atmosphere was the same - it was totally flat. Such a shame because the facilities and effort that goes into the whole weekend are second to none. I've been now and done it but unless they make it a better racing track then I doubt I'll go back. Unfortunately the highlights were the after race concerts!

At one point it looked like Verstappen might have a go at Kimi but backmarkers totally ruined that.

Alonso once again drove the backside off his car - I do hope he has a competitive car next year so he can add to the mix.

Lastly, I'm not sure whether the person who allowed the umbrella onto the track in FP3 was a zero or maybe a hero for the entertainment highlight of the weekend. :yahoo:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
As I was at the race the on track entertainment was poor
Is Abu Dhabi still the same as Shanghai; nobody in the grandstands until just before the F1 race starts and then empty again 30seconds after the race? I could not believe it when I went to Abu Dhabi and Shanghai that people would spend so much to attend but then only bother to turn up for one race. It is perhaps not surprising that the tracks do not bother putting on any other entertainment. At Shanghai there was only two outlet booths, the official F1 booth and a Mercedes booth - couldn't even buy a hat or a flag!
In the mornings at both tracks the staff on the food outlets were calling to us to go and buy something because we were the only people walking around!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
As I was at the race the on track entertainment was poor
Is Abu Dhabi still the same as Shanghai; nobody in the grandstands until just before the F1 race starts and then empty again 30 seconds after the race?

Exactly right - although there was plenty of merchandising and FanZone stuff going on.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »
I think that Hulkenberg's penalty was fair and consistent, which may put me slightly at odds with "my" team. The problem is that 5 seconds, under certain circumstances, is not much of a penalty (of course, in others it's insurmountable).

Heroes:

Bottas - flawless conversion of a well-earned pole. Bravo!

Hulkenberg - yes, penalty and all. That sixth was more than the car was really capable of, and the Force Indias are very difficult for anything short of a Red Bull to pass. Nico managed all that very well.

The Saubers, Magnussen and Gasly - for trying to keep us awake during an otherwise dull second half.

Honourable mention - Leclerc. He wasn't in the F1 race, but came 2nd in the feature race despite letting his team-mate through for an attempted podium (said team-mate, along with the original race winner, were later disqualified) and won the sprint race with a daring move in the last sector of the last lap of the race. (A failed earlier attempt had led to light contact, which was the one blot in his copybook). Someone, please put this F2 champion in a F1 car next year.

Zeroes

The Renault engines - that keep failing in Hartley's car. He's an endurance racer, we know he can't be the reason they fail every single race!

Whoever neglected the parasol in FP3, and Steve Jones (assuming these are different people) - In third practise, the session had to be stopped because a parasol drifted onto the track. That's a pretty big thing to be sat on the racing line, and also a big thing to blame on a sudden gust of wind. Someone should have paid more attention to that parasol before it fell off. Steve Jones (the Channel 4 commentator) should have thought a bit before calling the parasol an idiot - it's not like it had any choice in the matter...

Whoever designed the new F1 logo - for completely forgetting the brief.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
Heroes:

Honourable mention - Leclerc. He wasn't in the F1 race, but came 2nd in the feature race despite letting his team-mate through for an attempted podium (said team-mate, along with the original race winner, were later disqualified) and won the sprint race with a daring move in the last sector of the last lap of the race. (A failed earlier attempt had led to light contact, which was the one blot in his copybook). Someone, please put this F2 champion in a F1 car next year.

Spot on, he drove fantastically....and it was very entertaining. What a prospect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle