collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The Crown  (Read 8670 times)

Online Dare

The Crown
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:15:57 AM »
Anyone watching or watched it? I'm on S1 E5 now and
think it's great.Thee's supposed tobe six seasons at a cost
said to be 780 million US dollars.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: The Crown
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:25:06 AM »
I watched the first season, it's fantastic.

haven't started the second season yet.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
I'm sure it's a good series for all you non British countries, however a lot of us in the homeland have lived through the events depicted and have a distrust of the over dramatic licence taken by filmmakers.

Most of what I've read about this series pushes controversy too far for me to be interested in watching it.

Why watch stand ins when we have enjoyed the real thing?
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
With you there John.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
I'm sure it's a good series for all you non British countries, however a lot of us in the homeland have lived through the events depicted and have a distrust of the over dramatic licence taken by filmmakers.

Most of what I've read about this series pushes controversy too far for me to be interested in watching it.

Why watch stand ins when we have enjoyed the real thing?

There must be some people who find it fascinating watching the truth become legend right before their eyes. 

Much like Wyatt Earp is seen as the hero of the OK Coral because he was the guy who made the first movie about it, and got to establish the legend.

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »
I don't think most people alive today can remember what
happened in the Crown from the 40's or 50's. You were just kids
then.

Your never to old to learn new facts.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
Don't believe all you see in the series people, the writer, 'Peter Morgan' is a staunch Republican who says Her Majesty is a countrywoman of limited intelligence and the royal family is deranged. He needs stringing up by his thumbs and horse whipping. His ultimate goal is probably the downfall of the Monarchy.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:06 PM »
Isn't it on its way down anyhow?  First a prince marries a commoner and now the other one marries an American!  Crazy times, crazy times...  ;) ;) :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline jimclark

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
That's what you're worried about? We ALL need to be more concerned with letting ant-"infidels"  >:D in to our countries, don't you think....?  :stop:
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
That's what you're worried about? We ALL need to be more concerned with letting ant-"infidels"  >:D in to our countries, don't you think....?  :stop:

Nay, Nay, and thrice Nay!

Some of us prefer to have respect for both the office of Monarch and our present Queen.

We're well aware of the lineage of our Monarchy, but like every other resident 2nd & succeeding generations born in Britain have always been (and always will be) true Brits. Unless they themselves choose not to be, which can cause the rest of us to question  motive.

You're correct Dare about our own memories of the 40s & 50s, however I know I prefer to rely on the handed down wisdom of my own parents and relatives rather than some concocted narrative shaped mainly for dramatic impact.
-

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »
Like the old phrase "history according to M-G-M." Film versions aren't always accurate. My favorite example of that was the movie The Battle of the Bulge. The actual battle took place in a dense forest during a blizzard. A battle scene in that movie was filmed in a desert. My father was there for the real thing, an 18 year old infantryman in Patton's 3rd Army. I thought his head was going to explode when he saw that movie.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:41:37 PM »
Similar Cos, my father was in the Far East in WW2, in the RAF Regiment, the 'Forgotten Army' as they were known, even in the Imperial War Museum in London there's only a tiny portion allotted to them.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 10:14:11 PM »
My Dad was in the Philippines in WW2 and he had a few things to say about movies set there. He says the famous clip of MacArthur coming ashore was a fake made using a double and well after the island was secure.
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
My  Grandfather enlisted in the Marines when he was around 35 and
served in the South Pacific. He didn't drink before but certainly did
after. He never talked about it

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »
It's really enjoyable.  I've watched both series so far and I've found it fascinating.  The acting, in particular, is exceptionally good.

I have no doubt that certain elements of the relationships between the characters are emphasised for the sake of the drama, but much of what actually happens strikes me as being historically accurate.  The politics of the time is also of particular interest to me, especially the relationship between the Queen and her prime ministers.

As for Morgan being anti-monarchy, it seems that he has had a change of heart while making the programme: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2017-12-08/the-crown-season-2-netflix-peter-morgan/.  It's also worth noting that he qualified what he said about the Queen's intelligence, but the right wing press, of course, chose not to report that ;).
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle