collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 397
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Good Morning Vietnam!  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Robem64

Good Morning Vietnam!
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Good Morning Vietnam!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
Add this to Amsterdam and there's a lot of races being considered.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
Hanoi is a beautiful City and the people are wonderful but the infrastructure is a mess. I just cannot see how Hanoi could handle the F1 circus successfully. I think it could damage Hanoi/Vietnam financially and would not add anything to F1.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:36:03 PM »
It should be mostly European  races along with Canada,Australia,Mexico,Brazil if they clean up their act,Japan,and the remaining races to Asia. Europe is the roots and where it
should remain.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
It should be mostly European  races along with Canada,Australia,Mexico,Brazil if they clean up their act,Japan,and the remaining races to Asia. Europe is the roots and where it
should remain.

I don't have a fundamental problem with F1 expanding their fan base/race locations.  Certainly the European races work best for me timing wise (I love watching a race Sunday morning), but I love that F1 is truly 'global', and making the effort to be.

Naturally not every new race is going to be as beloved as some of the historic races, but plenty of the historic races seem to be drying up.  How long since San Marino?  Germany?

I'd like to see F1 have about 30 tracks to choose from and rotate them year over year.  It provides variety for fans, makes each race a little more special for the people visiting, and expands F1 to new places without leaving old places behind.  They could certainly keep annual 'core' races, either ones that consistently sell out, or have a stake in F1 through factory locations.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »
Remember the days when people used to say how sad it was that Monaco was the only street race left in F1?

Like the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
Remember the days when people used to say how sad it was that Monaco was the only street race left in F1?

Like the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

I might be too young for that   :-*

But seriously, what 'good' street races have we lost?  I can't name any off the top of my head.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
Scott Stoddard (Brian Bedford) even says it in the opening scenes of the movie Grand Prix.   ;)

Long Beach was a pretty good race. It still is for IndyCar & IMSA. Other than that, can't think of a one.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:38:50 PM »
Charlie Whiting has inspected both Assen and Zandvoort with an eye toward a Grand Prix of the Nederlands in the near future. Thye hits just keep on happenin'.

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2018/01/26/inspection-reveals-assen-needs-little-work-host-f1-race/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+f1fanatic+%28F1+Fanatic+-+The+Formula+1+Blog%29
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »
I'd love to see Zanvoort back on the schedule!   :yahoo:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »
I wish they would hand out races based on suitability like fan base, infrastructure, and enough private cash behind the bid to ensure it won't go bankrupt in 3 years.  Then build in a more realistic fee structure - and make the FOM earn a bit of their money by forcing them to put on a better show for the fans.  If they can't fill the weekend schedule with stuff to keep the fans there and spending money on drinks and trinkets, then they shouldn't be in the business they pretend to be in.  Finally, the promoter needs to be able to make decent profits to be able to keep the races around.  Roll back the no-advertising rules so the locals can sponsor the track as well and let the promoter or track owner keep that income.  Maybe we don't need 60 back-to-back Rolex signs.

I dont really care about whether a track is historic and therefore belongs in F1.  I want to see races where the stands are full and that last more than 3-5 years before they are replaced by the next 2nd or 3rd world Dictatorship who's leader wants to be part of the action.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:47:16 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle