collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 341
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The One Stop Merchandise Shop......not popular  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Robem64

The One Stop Merchandise Shop......not popular
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:09:35 PM »

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: The One Stop Merchandise Shop......not popular
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »
The NHRA did this and one by one many of the teams dropped out. Now the "big tent" is mostly John Force Racing and many of the smaller teams have no merchandise available anywhere.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
I suppose it depends if they have one big tent with all sales, or keep the dozen smaller tents scattered around.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:19:57 PM »
I don't see the big teams, especially Ferrari, going for it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
I think the merch tents work just fine.  Monza even has a store for Monza branded gear and posters, which was almost more interesting than the team tents.  If Liberty wants to do a one-stop merch shop, it is only because they want a piece of the team merch action.  I wouldn't agree either.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
Half of the teams don't even have merchandise until mid-season of a given year (meaning they'd have nothing to put in the tent for half the season, yet would probably be charged for a whole year), and the other half are unlikely to see the point of combining forces. In any case, I think they get most of their merchandise sales online nowadays; the on-circuit part of the deal simply isn't as big as it used to be, mostly being occupied by people who don't order things via the Internet, people wanting a souvenir of the day or parents trying to encourage young fans to make a connection to the sport (all important, but none the main source of income from merchandise). Impatient fans definitely don't go to large halls nowadays; they get their phones out and order without having to leave their seat at all, assuming they didn't run out of patience at their computers on an average Tuesday four months earlier ;)

This is especially likely to affect the very "send home via DHL" items that Liberty were hoping to be able to add to the repertoire. Bernie wanted a one-stop shop too, but funnily enough he couldn't ever convince the teams to sign up either (though back then, it was more to do with Bernie wanting too much money rather than market forces making the idea fail).

Besides, engaging the group who came up with the failed NASCAR version*, which from what I gather was difficult to use despite all those tills and didn't help anyone's sales, isn't promising in terms of F1 getting a solution that will make Liberty happy (in that, even if it got its idea, it probably wouldn't get its money increased... which was probably the point...)

* - I could not have used the NASCAR version as described; it simply would have been too noisy and busy, if it had been crowded enough to make more money than a typical individual-sized, open-air, single-till stall.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »
The U.S.G.P. at Indy did a little of both. They turned the parking lot beside of the Museum into a shopping area. Most of the teams had their own set ups (usually trailers). The Speedway had a large tent set up to sell their own merch. A big part of that was U.S.G.P. Indy items co-branded for the individual teams. All of the smaller stands around the track had a selection of the co-branded stuff.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
Silverstone has lots of mini-stalls with circuit-branded items, plus its own little indoor shop (2 tills, feels a bit like a 7-11 grocery) next to the National Paddock area.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle