collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 310
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso relegates Davidson to Toyota WEC reserve role  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Monty

Alonso relegates Davidson to Toyota WEC reserve role
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:35:57 PM »
There are so few competitive seats in the top series of motorsport and I therefore think it is a real shame that an F1 star can simply choose to go and play in an additional series which results in another good driver getting dumped.
Davidson won five races in 2017 but he has the same problem in WEC as he used to have in F1 - no money!
I know this used to happen decades ago but there were fewer dedicated drivers then. Also, I'm sure there are a lot of people that will take exception to my phrase 'play in an additional series' but that is exactly what Alonso will be doing. He enters the series knowing he cannot attend at least one race. Unless of course he is hedging his bets. Perhaps he thinks that if the McLaren isn't performing to his satisfaction he will decide not to attend the US Grand Prix and drive in the WEC instead?

Offline Jericoke

Re: Alonso relegates Davidson to Toyota WEC reserve role
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
There are so few competitive seats in the top series of motorsport and I therefore think it is a real shame that an F1 star can simply choose to go and play in an additional series which results in another good driver getting dumped.
Davidson won five races in 2017 but he has the same problem in WEC as he used to have in F1 - no money!
I know this used to happen decades ago but there were fewer dedicated drivers then. Also, I'm sure there are a lot of people that will take exception to my phrase 'play in an additional series' but that is exactly what Alonso will be doing. He enters the series knowing he cannot attend at least one race. Unless of course he is hedging his bets. Perhaps he thinks that if the McLaren isn't performing to his satisfaction he will decide not to attend the US Grand Prix and drive in the WEC instead?

It is always frustrating when we're forced to pull back the curtain and see that top level sport is business first, and sport second.  You can't blame a team for taking the most money even if it screws over perfectly decent people in the process  :nono:.  (Of course, you're certainly entitled to be upset about it!!  ;) )

There are plenty of people who lament top drivers being single series drivers, how the 'true racers' who will get into any and all available race cars are a thing of the past.  Personally, I think it's good for motorracing as a whole, even if it can be damaging to WEC.

Unfortunately for Davidson, Alonso running in WEC is good for the series as a whole.  Davidson can turn this to his advantage as greater viability puts a premium on drivers who can win.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:42:25 AM »
The real problem here is that there's only one "full" LMP1 team. In years when there were two or three, these problems were rare, because there'd usually be at least one car that had a proper vacancy. I'm still confused as to why Toyota is giving a seat to a racer who normally races Hondas (something that is otherwise strictly against company policy)... ...but maybe Fernando's moaning made them think that he is more a liability than an asset to Honda!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
That situation always made me feel torn. Ant is a favorite of mine, but I can't stand Toyota.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
That situation always made me feel torn. Ant is a favorite of mine, but I can't stand Toyota.  ;)

I'd quite like to see him at new LMP1 privateer Manor :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle