collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grid Kids  (Read 4510 times)

Online Dare

Grid Kids
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:43:32 AM »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Grid Kids
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:31:47 AM »
Obviously none of the decision makers has ever been a parent, or is so old they have forgotten what it is like to control a kids behaviour...  And what about those 35c days standing in the heat for an hour?  What about child labour laws?  A big can of worms.

You have to be kidding me. My days are near the end

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11237912/formula-1-to-introduce-grid-kids
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
Kind of like replacing the Super Bowl with Puppy Bowl.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
Wait for the lawsuits - taking photographs of minors without permission  :fool:

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »
Not only that Monty, it could be a paedo's paradise, it happens all too often.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »
Not only that Monty, it could be a paedo's paradise, it happens all too often.

This took an odd turn... the kids need to be protected from predators but women are fair game?

If the grid girls are safe, then grid kids are equally safe.  If the kids aren't safe, then the women aren't either.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »
But a woman's more likely to deliver a deserved smack in the kisser.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »
I don't think it is a case of being 'safe' but the women chose to 'parade' as a job but these kids will be 'paraded' to suit the promoters. I just do not see the point.
When I went to the Shanghai GP I found that the organisors give free passes to high school students (they also give them flags which is why you see so many international flags being waved along the perimeter fencing). They were all interested in the sport and got to watch a live F1 race which they couldn't possibly afford to do otherwise. But what would young kids get out of being pushed and pulled around the start line or podium celebrations? 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:57 PM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
Jean Alesi doesn't like it, either:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/former-f1-driver-alesi-says-no-thanks-grid-kids

I'm getting tired of people saying the only way women can work in F1 is as grid girls.  (You can accuse me of being overly sensitive, but if the only reason someone can justify grid girls is to say that girls need the job, that means that's all they can imagine girls doing in F1)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »
I'm happy with the idea of grid kids, as long as there is a selection process based on merit at the proposed role rather than lottery or skill in karting (national sporting authorities will get both options, provided they select from among their under-16 karters). Some children (especially teenagers, but even some people a little younger) are perfectly capable of standing around holding a sign, and could make some useful paddock connections that way. Others, as Scott points out so well, are just an aggravation waiting to happen in such a role. Thankfully, F1 has been sensible enough to require parents (or, presumably, whichever adult(s) is/are accompanying each child) to join the children on the grid, which is likely to put a lid on minor examples of overenthusiastic disobedience. (For example, don't expect to see the grid itself turn into an autograph session, for this reason).

Hopefully, the fact that it is families/groups going onto the grid, not just single people (of any age), will deter race organisers from making the children wear anything egregiously awful (either in the scantily-clad sense, or any other possible interpretation of that sentence). I also assume that the rules on the back of F1 race tickets, which prevents anyone from objecting if they are recorded and broadcast, would apply equally to the grid as it does everywhere else in trackside venues - preventing any possible objection from parents to their young ones being photographed.

I will also say: only karters from the nation hosting the race (or, probably in the case of Monaco, these plus karters from nearby not doing the duty at their actual home Grand Prix) can be selected. This means that nobody under the age of 8 could possibly be selected - nor anyone who is being accompanied by a single adult plus a sibling below the age of 8.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
It's a horrible idea which is seeking to emulate a populist approach from football.  The last thing that I want to see in the build up to a race are inanely grinning kids in oversized overalls being subjected to media scrutiny and beamed across the globe.  My view is that grid girls, grid boys, and grid kids are all unnecessary and Formula 1 can managed without all of them.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
Irisado, I would agree with you, and point to WEC as an example.

F1, however, appears to disagree with us on that one.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
So, this is the latest ... and shows to the world ONCE AGAIN! how disorganised F1/FOM/FIA (take your pick) has become.  Partly in thanks to Liberty Media.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/formula-1/92740/grid-girls-formula-1-monaco-grand-prix-liberty-media

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle