collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 576
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: ESPN will Only Air Sky F1 Feed  (Read 5850 times)

Offline cosworth151

ESPN will Only Air Sky F1 Feed
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:33:20 AM »
In a deal set up by F1, the USA will get no original F1 content. ESPN will only rebroadcast Sky's European feed. After years of Hobbo & Co., we'll be going from the be the best to ?

The say that the Roman Emperor chose the psychotic Caligula as his successor was so that he would seem good by comparison. Now I see why Bernie surrendered to Liberty Media.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/espn-abc-will-utilize-european-skysport-feed-2018-f1-season

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: ESPN will Only Air Sky F1 Feed
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
I used to have the choice between Speed and BBC feed, and I always chose BBC over speed.  One year our broadcaster switched from BBC to Speed, it lasted for one race, after I presume a mountain of complaints.

When BBC stopped producing a feed (note, they still produced a feed even when they weren't showing live races) we were switched to Sky.  While I don't think Sky is as good as BBC was, I feel it was much nicer than the American broadcasts I could remember.  The amount of coverage Sky provides is immense.  (Though a lot of it is fluff, and I learn more reading GP Wizard than I do watching Sky)

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
It hurts me to praise the BBC but they definitely gave the best coverage.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »
I'll agree that Speed (the entire network, not just F1) went steadily downhill from it's original Speedvision. After Fox took it over & changed the name, it was used mostly to hype fox's NASCAR coverage. The NBC coverage was actually very good.

During the Fox/Speed years, I didn't have access to their coverage much of the time. They were relegated to channels only available on high-priced premium packages. I frequently watched BBC or Sky online. The BBC coverage was very good, but I was never impressed by Sky.

I fear that ESPN, which has zero interest in any kind of motorsports, will also be out on one of that network's fringe channels.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »
I watched Sky for years streaming and as I have
ESPN I'll still watch. I really like Sky
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »
The NBC coverage was actually very good.

I fear that ESPN, which has zero interest in any kind of motorsports, will also be out on one of that network's fringe channels.

I never did the NBC coverage, so I don't know how it compares with Speed.

ESPN makes approximately half of Disney's profits... the company that owns Star Wars, Marvel, Mickey Mouse, a half dozen resorts... but one TV channel is where they make money.  If F1 makes them money, it will be front and center, if not, then it will be relegated to 'The Ocho'.  The decision will not be made by 'sports guys', it will be made by 'money guys'.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:09:06 PM »
Although one of my pet hates is Sky and their ridiculous charges I have to say that the F1 coverage here in the UK is excellent. I think they basically copied the BBC format and threw even more money at it. Of course different people have different opinions but my only complaint relates to Ted Kravitz who is an idiot, especially when doing any kind of interview - he asks stupid questions and doesn't listen to the answers!

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:56 AM »
When F1 USA coverage lost Varsha it wasn't as good. He was the
anchor. I have no complaints with Sky at all
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:55:57 AM »
Hobbo has always been my favorite.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 06:54:58 PM »
The real reason for this deal is because ESPN is the only broadcaster willing to go toe-to-toe with Liberty's upcoming F1 streaming platform in the USA. So it's in Liberty's best interests for ESPN to not care much about its new acquisition...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 01:12:42 AM »
Although one of my pet hates is Sky and their ridiculous charges I have to say that the F1 coverage here in the UK is excellent. I think they basically copied the BBC format and threw even more money at it. Of course different people have different opinions but my only complaint relates to Ted Kravitz who is an idiot, especially when doing any kind of interview - he asks stupid questions and doesn't listen to the answers!

Watch 10 years of Vic Rauter as the only pre race coverage, as we had in Canada, and you'll be betting for Kravitz.

I always felt like Rauter lost a bet and was forced to cover F1 against his will.

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
Watch 10 years of Vic Rauter as the only pre race coverage, as we had in Canada, and you'll be betting for Kravitz.

I always felt like Rauter lost a bet and was forced to cover F1 against his will.

:DD
Thanks for the clip - I had completely forgotten that qualifying session!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »

:DD
Thanks for the clip - I had completely forgotten that qualifying session!

It's a great session, and probably Rauter at his F1 best, and literally the only clip of him that isn't covering curling (which he is much better at than F1)

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:36:30 AM »
If I don't get cricket or soccer I sure don't
get curling  What in the Hell are they trying
to do with curling thingamajig? :-* 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
If I don't get cricket or soccer I sure don't
get curling  What in the Hell are they trying
to do with curling thingamajig? :-*

I'm not much for curling myself, but keep in mind the sport was invented in Scotland, and I'm pretty sure was intended to be played while drinking.

If it doesn't make sense, then you probably haven't been drunk on a frozen lake (which is why Canadians love it).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle