collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 499
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie lining a new job up  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Robem64

Bernie lining a new job up
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
I know he's 87 but is this Bernie putting himself in the running for a new job  ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-5431127/Bernie-Ecclestone-Ferrari-ready-split-F1.html

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Jericoke

Re: Bernie lining a new job up
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »
Any one of Bernie's points makes sense in isolation, but collectively, it's very contradictory.

Ferrari wants to have control over the rules of F1 and a lion's share of the money.  I mean, if you don't ask, you'll never get it I suppose.  But what if they don't get it?  They create their own series, who else is going to join of Ferrari gets to set the rules and make all the money?

Also, Bernie believes the future is all electric.  I don't really disagree with him, however, does anyone imagine Ferrari leaving F1 to create an all electric series?

FIA needs to get some companies into an electric arms race, much like the engines arms race F1 had in the 90s that led to our current engine rules.  Easier said than done for sure, but certainly not impossible.  Ferrari can play in the corner with their V10s while F1 does whatever they decide and let the market sort it out.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
What's the significance of it being 13months since Bernie got the boot?  Does he have a one year non-compete agreement or something? 

If Sergio and Bernie want to go ahead and set up their own electric series, I think that wouldn't be a bad idea.  Formula E is not making big enough steps forward IMO to build a keen following, so maybe someone needs to come up with a better way. 

I seriously doubt they would just bail on F1 at that moment though.  They have too much investment in F1 and ICU's to just throw it all out the window and start over.  Re-fitting the Ferrari factory to do an electric series would be a big chunk of change.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »
Formula E leaves me cold, they sound like the old milk delivery wagons, if it goes all electric I'm glad this season is my last one watching F1.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
What's the significance of it being 13months since Bernie got the boot?  Does he have a one year non-compete agreement or something? 

If Sergio and Bernie want to go ahead and set up their own electric series, I think that wouldn't be a bad idea.  Formula E is not making big enough steps forward IMO to build a keen following, so maybe someone needs to come up with a better way. 

I seriously doubt they would just bail on F1 at that moment though.  They have too much investment in F1 and ICU's to just throw it all out the window and start over.  Re-fitting the Ferrari factory to do an electric series would be a big chunk of change.

If Ferrari/Bernie are serious about a new series after the current Concorde expires, then I would guess there is a 'best' time to talk about it. Too soon lets people wonder if it's serious, or all talk before anything can be done.  Too late, and it's too late to do anything.  I guess this might be the timing required to get everything in place.

As for the engine factory, I know that in the V8 era the ICU were hand made, I assume that's true for the lower volume production of the 4 cylinders.  They aren't really losing anything if they switch entirely to electric motors.  Obviously the manufacturing process is different, but the equipment they use now will be 100% obsolete unless the FIA just keeps the same engines in 2020 anyway. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »
Sounds like Bernie is up to his usual smoke and mirrors.

There is something going on in the background but I'm damned if I can add any substance to what that might be.

Bernie still seems to have many people who owe him a great deal scattered thoughtout F1 in positions of power in one way or another, and Liberty seem to have put the old boss's nose out of joint rather.

He's become the perfect ally for the Ferrari/Merc side of the row brewing over the future Concorde deal.

Not sure Bratches is ready for the slippery & ultra tough tactics of F1 bosses. Unless Bernie is really waffling on to actually aid the new owners agenda.
 - Well stranger things have happened.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
Sounds like Bernie is up to his usual smoke and mirrors.

The article does mention Bernie actually staging a 'rogue' F1 race in 1981 with Ferrari.  He's followed through before, so I would 100% believe he's prepared to back up any threat he makes.

Not sure Bratches is ready for the slippery & ultra tough tactics of F1 bosses. Unless Bernie is really waffling on to actually aid the new owners agenda.
 - Well stranger things have happened.

I'm sure Bernie is going to play both sides to make sure he gets whatever he can out of it.  Liberty probably would have done better to keep him onboard and busy with something instead of giving him unlimited free time to scheme about F1 (which is, after all, what he has oft been quoted as saying he loves to do).  I don't want to see an F1 'split' (and I certainly don't want to open that debate!  :fool:), but a little shake up isn't going to hurt the sport, even if Bernie gets a %

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle