collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 358
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sour Grapes From Fernando?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Robem64

Sour Grapes From Fernando?
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:32:03 PM »
Not sure how to take this...sour grapes, venting or genuine fear of a Honda threat?

http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-questions-hondas-apparent-resurgence/

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

Re: Sour Grapes From Fernando?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »
In my opinion, 25% venting and 75% Fear of Honda threat!!

Imagine if Toro Rosso have a strong year ... kind of ironic.

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 11:53:11 PM »
I wonder if Honda has made a leap or was it the combination of McLaren chassis and Honda power that was bad? Perhaps the T/R provides more cooling or something?
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
I'll wait & see what the Honda can do under race conditions. If memory serves, they've won only one F1 race in the past quarter of a century or so.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »
Factory-sized vent. Fernando's not scared of anyone, even if he is professionally concerned about other teams - but he's frustrated that he continues to be in a situation where he can't show his best. That said, he probably also remembers that Honda had the occasional half-decent test with McLaren but it never amounted to anything.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:04 PM »
I'd take it as typical sports reporting:  someone asking questions to try and stir something up.

I'm sure that Alonso regrets the time he's wasted with McLaren/Honda, and certainly hopes it was the Honda part holding him back, not the McLaren part.  I'm not sure McLaren is being run like a top flight F1 team at the moment.  As Alonso points out, a test isn't the same as a season, but Honda has clearly improved more than McLaren has.

I think that working for a low expectation 'B' team like Toro Rosso might be just what Honda needs to develop and grow in F1.  Everyone was quick to point out the past success of McLaren/Honda and that's a lot to live up to.  Some people deal better with pressure, some people deal better when toiling in obscurity.  Given that the Honda operation is an in house division given as a reward for top performers, rather than a dedicated racing company like Ilmor or Ferrari (I'm not sure about Renault's division).  They might like a little less pressure.  Once things are running smoothly, they gain confidence and a culture of success, then they can step up and race with the 'big boys'.

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »
Testing is very different to racing but things have looked better for Honda.  We'll never know the exact details of what they did in Barcelona though and how it will match up to the other manufacturers in race trim.  For their sake, and for the sake of competition I hope that they have sorted out some of their gremlins.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:32:27 PM »
If my memory serves me well McLaren had the best engine in Mercedes when Lewis jumped ship and they couldn't win with that and with Honda they have had problems but Honda were always going to come good they have had a lot of catching up to do and did it in the public eye. McLaren's testing with a Renault lump has not gone well so they must be concerned as I believe they did the least milage of all teams.
I forecast awhile back that putting the Honda in the Torro Rosso was a pre-curser to it going into the Red Bull and I feel the Honda could very well make the grade this season.
Time will tell!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
It will perpetuate the Alonso curse if Honda/STR beat the Mclaren/Renault on merit (not luck).  But the overall testing results have Alonso post a faster laps time than the RBR's with the same engine. 

As usual, testing is a sham for the pundits and only about data collection (not bragging rights) for the teams. 

I don't doubt the speed of the Honda, but the reliability will be the big question through the first few races.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
I think that Alonso is simply frustrated because the package consistently has not come together for him since 2007.  He knows and I am convinced that he could have been a four times champion by now had Ferrari not messed up his title challenge in 2010 and 2012, so his comments of frustration come from that.  McLaren needs to up its game this year, but so does Renault.

As for Honda, I wait to see how much power that engine can deliver consistently in race conditions.  Toro Rosso doesn't have the resources that McLaren does and has a very inexperienced driver line up, so I would be surprised if the team were to outperform McLaren over whole season in performance terms.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:16:43 PM »
Not clear how much pressure was excerted on the Honda power plant during testing so race speed may even be behind Sauber.

I'm sure having the extreme bodywork girdle of the McLaren removed from the equation will help the Honda techies no end, however reliability is bound to triumph over pace I fear.

One things for sure there's still a lot of unknowns ahead of the 1st race, which is all grist to the mill for us lot.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle