collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 599
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Opening Race Ritual?  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Calman

Opening Race Ritual?
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:53:58 PM »
Hi Folks!

I'm simply curious as to how everyone enjoys the opening race of the season ...

1) At the Race in person (lucky so-an-so's)
2) Watching in the Pub on a TV the size of a Snooker table ... with likeminded fans & the beer flowing!!
3) In the comfort of your own home ... sitting in your favourite armchair with your pipe and slippers!
4) Watching on your giant PC monitor ... while you dabble around the web or deal with business commitments?
5) Grabbing as much viewing as you can, as you are at friends for dinner .. and are trying not to be rude!!

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Robem64

Re: Opening Race Ritual?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:55:33 PM »
Love it to be number 1.....but alas number 3 for me
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »
+1  :'(
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:12:47 AM »
in chat with various other members...join us
no dress code either
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:35:47 AM »
no dress code either

I'm getting all dressed up for nothing?!

But, I second Dare:  I've been to a live F1 race, and being in the GPWizard chat is  VERY close second best way to watch.

And quite frankly, for those dull races, being able to chat with my friends here makes it far more interesting.

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:44:26 AM »
no dress code either

I'm getting all dressed up for nothing?!

But, I second Dare:  I've been to a live F1 race, and being in the GPWizard chat is  VERY close second best way to watch.

And quite frankly, for those dull races, being able to chat with my friends here makes it far more interesting.

I usually wear a tuxedo but that's just me
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »

I usually wear a
tuxedo but that's just me

I prefer to watch races in the buff, it's why I never join you lot in race day chat room.   :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »
Morning coats are a must for the Chat Room.  :P

Melbourne will start at 1:10 a.m. here where I live (southeast Ohio).

Seriously, stop by the Chat Room during the race. We have a great time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
I plan to watch the qualifying replay on option 6): a treadmill at my local gym (provided nobody wants to watch the poker tournament on the other side!), as it's just the right length for a good all-round land-based cardio workout and I need to get in shape for the Silverstone 10 km in May. (I did the Run Like A Time Lord 5 km this week, which I hope helps me not be the slowest runner at the 'Stone for once...) They have 5 TVs, with two typically reserved for music channels (and music playing from them), but the three TVs that would show the F1 are at least 40 inches each, arrayed such that one is surrounded by the pictures.

I will probably opt for a quick swim afterwards, though not if Force India somehow gets pole! (Also, I must be careful if pole looks plausible: I was on the elliptical when Raikkonen and Bottas collided on the last lap of Russia 2015, and nearly fell off the machine in excitement as "my" driver came through to take a surprise podium...)

On race day, I will go to option 7): my parents' house, where we will all watch the race highlights with a hot bacon sarnie in one hand and some crisps in the other. I also tend to get through at least a litre of fruit squash over the course of the race, because Dad and I tend to talk to each other about the race as it happens (with occasional comments from Mum). I will probably be in my Force India hoodie and other appropriate support gear. Mum and Dad probably will wear something appropriate for working outside.

Option 1) is for Hungary, this year (first time at a F1 race since 2009)...

Option 2) is impossible here, except if one is really lucky at one specific pub and its three TVs, the race is at a time when said pub is open (it's a relatively "classy" establishment that shuts before the US/Canadian/Brazillian races finish, unlike its neighbours) and it hasn't been commandeered by the multitudes wanting to watch some other sport (I remember them having a packed house for Hungary 2015 qualifying, but apparently they couldn't get anyone interested after that year's football season got going...)

Option 3) isn't happening unless I get a TV licence.

Option 4) has happened sometimes with races I follow via BBC Radio and Twitter. I can find out what language my site's latest spam is in at the same time...

Option 5) doesn't happen - if I am out during a Grand Prix, I strictly avoid spoilers until I can see the race at my parents' house on catch-up. So if the friends aren't interested in motorsport, I prefer it if they're sufficiently uninterested that the whole visit is spent on other topics.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »
We will, of course, expect a full travelogue and race report on Hungary in the unique La Canta style.   :D
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 07:12:14 PM »
...hot bacon sarnie in one hand and some crisps in the other

That quote alone has brought a tear to my eye!! ... memories!!!  :(

Edit:   As far as routine/ritual is concerned, I always start the race by cracking open one of these ... followed by a choice of local beers, accompanied by a couple of giant bags of crisps to get me through 3 hours of sporting bliss!!  (just don't let me anywhere near the BBQ at the end of the campaign, it's wouldn't be wise).

All the best,
Cal :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:18:43 PM by Calman »
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »
Might just be waking up, it's around 6am in the UK when it starts, if I'm awake I'll maybe look for a stream.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 08:05:41 PM »
Oz race ritual is usually on the couch by 6am (Swiss time) with a good coffee and some toast.  About 5min before the lights go out, log into GPW chat.  For the last 16 years, I have had to take off the minute the checker flies (sometimes before), but starting this year, I unless we go away for a weekend, I can't see why I can't hang out for the sometimes post-race chats and watch complete races all season. 

No pub in my area would dare show anything but soccer or skiing, so that option is out.

No race tickets planned for this season, at least until I find a job and know what my time off might be like.

I like a nice craft beer (or two, or...) during an afternoon or evening race, but forget about the Asian and Oz races, I need coffee.

Thankfully we have a new coffee machine, a new couch and a new TV.   :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »

I usually wear a
tuxedo but that's just me

I prefer to watch races in the buff, it's why I never join you lot in race day chat room.   :D

Speaking for the gang you don't know how much we appreciate that :swoon:

guest3164

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
Frantically remember to set up Sky+ to record the race the evening before, go to sleep and then wake up around 7 as usual.  Try to remember not to look online for any spoilers, come downstairs and try to fire up the recording in progress without seeing/hearing anything about the race.  Then sit there glued until the end before turning on any electronic device that could spoil the race result.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle