collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 387
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Celebrities on the Grid?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Calman

Celebrities on the Grid?
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:07:40 PM »
A subject which always comes up in my other F1 circles, is the presence of Celebs on the Grid/Paddock or buzzing around F1 venues someplace!

I would really like to hear (got the correct 'hear' for once) your opinion on the whole "Celeb Thing".  I freely admit, I wanted to throw a brick at the TV on some of Martin's past Grid Walks, as people like Venus Williams, Naomi Campbell, Owen Wilson etc, either rudely blanked him or presented him with a stupid reply.   Of course, we all must remember Ozzy's Rasputin bumbling reply!  :stop:

There have been some decent, knowledgeable Celebs on the grid of course, but the "painful individuals" stand out the most.

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline cosworth151

Re: Celebrities on the Grid?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
If it's somebody who is an F1 fan (or at least has some interest in it), that's fine. If they're there just to "be seen" and don't have a clue about it, no. Just stick them in the V.I.P. tent & don't inflict them on us.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02:02 AM »
Just part of the circus around F1 as far as I'm concerned.

I've thought for sometime that the grid walk is now done by so many different TV stations that it's being ducked by a lot of drivers & looking old hat.

Maybe a change is due. I'd prefer to have 2 or 3 knowledgeable heads discuss how they feel the race will pan out over images of the bustling grid.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
You're not wrong, I used to really enjoy the grid walk but now it is largely pointless, the same soundbites as people are just bored of it.  The obligatory interview with some 'dignitary' who is largely clueless about the sport (knows the names of Hamilton and/or Ferrari).  You used to get better driver thoughts and more knowledgeable celebrities but now it is more of a meat market of people trying to be seen.  That's fair enough, I guess it is part of F1, but you just feel a tad frustrated and maybe it would be nice to have some lucky prize winners of real fans who get to do the grid stuff.  Maybe I am just jealous of the celebs  :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »
I’m with Cos, aside from the odd fan among the celebrities, it’s pointless to have the media stop and talk to them.  I would actually prefer to have the grid populated by team members and drivers.

The grid “walk” turned into a dash with (on Ch4) Coulthard and Webber running like idiots around and asking brief and superficial questions as the are pigeon-heading looking for the next victim.  I agree they should just have one or two people per language and have the camera people do more snooping of the cars while the reporter asks a question somewhere else.  Just my opinion.  :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
I think we've missed an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone:  replace the Grid Girls with celebrities!

They still get to be seen, and they're not being useless.

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
I agree that useless 'celebs' are annoying. I've always thought that a better idea would be a lottery of sorts, as your tickets are scanned on the way in load them all in a data base and let the computer randomly pick say two or three lucky ticket holders onto the grid, that way you'd get true F1 fans there and and what a bonus it would be for the lucky fans.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
Looking at ESPN's schedule, we may not get the grid walk in the US this year.
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
If my memory serves me well, I think there was a race in 2017 where the Grid Walk didn't occur? ... can't remember which venue.  I know Martin had health issues, stemming from his run to the Podium in Monaco?? ... so I wonder if the grid walk was cancelled due to some repercussion of Martin's health issues???

I know that at least 2-3 Grid Walks were very uncomfortable outings, mainly due to stupid, ignorant Celebs, so I wondered at the time, whether they were trying to dissolve the segment????

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle