collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 504
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: "Everyone Knows I'm #1, don't they?"  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Calman

"Everyone Knows I'm #1, don't they?"
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »
Just for a bit of fun, I'd be keen to hear fellow F1 fans determine who they think are the No.1 Drivers in any given team.  Of course, we know that 75% of Team Principles inform us "We do not have a No.1 Driver in our Team" ... but we all have our views on this and sometimes, it's painfully obvious where drivers stand on the pecking order, isn't it?

So, here is my assessment >>>

Lewis Hamilton (1)
Valtteri Bottas (2)

Sebastian Vettel (1)
Kimi Raikkonen (2)

Max Verstappen (1)
Daniel Ricciardo (2)

Sergio Perez (1)
Esteban Ocon (2)
* count switch by the end of 2018?

Lance Stroll (1)
Sergey Sirotkin (2)

Brendon Hartley (1)
Pierre Gasly (2)

Fernando Alonso (1)
Stoffel Vandoorne (2)

Nico Hulkenberg (1)
Carlos Sainz Jr (2)

Romain Grosjean (1)
Kevin Magnussen (2)

Marcus Ericsson (1)
Charles Leclerc (2)

.. that's how I see them right now, how about you?

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: "Everyone Knows I'm #1, don't they?"
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »
Your list seems mostly right to me, only change I'd make is at F1FI - I'd put Ocon numero uno.
My reasoning, the team have allowed a rookie to inflict way too many awkward and potentially race ending manoeuvres on a supposedly senior teammate.
 Can you imagine Vettel or Nando still being at a team if that level of aggression was allowed against them?  :nono:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
John, do you think Ocon is really the team's chosen one?  Last year's antics seemed to not go in either drivers favour.  I would give it to Perez just due to his seniority. 

Cal, it might be interesting to see where we place the drivers in our opinions of their talent/skills/maturity - sort of overall who is the 'better' driver from a team standpoint.

They likely aren't much different than the list you provided as the unofficial team ranking, but a few differences.  For example I find DR a much more complete and competent driver than Verstappen.

Lewis Hamilton (1)
Valtteri Bottas (2)

Sebastian Vettel (1)
Kimi Raikkonen (2)

Daniel Ricciardo (1)
Max Verstappen (2)

Sergio Perez (1)
Esteban Ocon (2)

Lance Stroll (1)
Sergey Sirotkin (2)
(unproven - therefore undecided)

Pierre Gasly (1)
Brendon Hartley (2)
(unproven - therefore undecided, though Gasly impressed in training runs last year)

Fernando Alonso (1)
Stoffel Vandoorne (2)

Nico Hulkenberg (1)
Carlos Sainz Jr (2)
(dead heat IMO)

Romain Grosjean (1)
Kevin Magnussen (2)

Marcus Ericsson (1)
Charles Leclerc (2)
(I expect this to change)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
Scott, I reckon Ricciardo is a better driver (indeed he is my favourite driver on the grid since JB retired), but Verstappen is a bigger 'star' in F1 so I think Red Bull will favour him, which is also why they already tied him down. 

I think most No. 1s are pretty clear otherwise,

Hamilton (1), Bottas (2)

Vettel (1), Raikkonen (2)

Verstappen (1), Ricciardo (2)

Perez (1), Ocon (2) - Perez brings more cash so that will hold some sway

Stroll (1), Sirotkin (2) - I feel this will change as Stroll Sr begins to look at other teams for his son, or if Kubica comes in.

Hulkenberg (1), Sainz Jr (2)- Sainz is still on loan afterall

Gasly (1), Hartley (2)- I feel Hartley was very much 'who's left?!' even if I like him.

Grosjean (1), Magnussen (2)

Alonso (1), Vandoorne (2)

Leclerc (1), Ericsson (2)- The Alfa/Ferrari influence will dictate this from the off.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »
Yes WF, but like I said,this is how I would rank them, not how the team (that idiot Marko) would.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
Oh, I agree with you totally Scott in that regard.  I just end up overthinking and going down the team route.  Ricciardo deserves No. 1 status in my view.  Very consistent, very calm (usually), very fast.  More likely to bring home the points than Max. 

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
Scott, I reckon Ricciardo is a better driver (indeed he is my favourite driver on the grid since JB retired),

I couldn't agree more, although I had a soft spot for little Felipe, but since most of the old guard have since retired, I would like to see Danny Ric do well in the season ahead!!!

Kind Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
Even though he used to race for Williams, I never warmed to Massa, in fact some who know me know I positively disliked him for reasons even I am now not fully sure of!  I like Raikkonen due to his enigmatic character but Ricciardo just has the likeable factor going for him as well as just being an outstanding racer. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
In fairness, I don't think any of the teams do the explicit 1-2 thing that Renault and Ferrari were doing in the middle of last decade. Nowadays it's more "they're equal in principle but some are more equal than others in specific scenarios". Still 1-2, but much more subtle and less ridiculous.

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton > Valtteri Bottas (this is the most blatant of them for me)

Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel > Kimi Raikkonen (though this one is not much less so)

Max Verstappen > Daniel Ricciardo (this one would be the most blatant if either of them did anything to test it these days!)

Sergio Perez = Esteban Ocon (please tell me they found a non-metallic shade of pink this year for the car...)

Lance Stroll = Sergey Sirotkin (this may and probably will change after a few races show which of the two is better)

Brendon Hartley = Pierre Gasly (I think they actually are about equal, and they're both rookies...)

Fernando Alonso > Stoffel Vandoorne (maybe we might see it make some sort of difference now the car is a bit faster!)

Nico Hulkenberg > Carlos Sainz Jr (pecking order is quite natural - for now...)

Romain Grosjean > Kevin Magnussen (not in terms of performance, but sheer personality - Romain seems to know exactly how to motivate his crew in a way that Kevin occasionally has difficulties doing)

Marcus Ericsson = Charles Leclerc (it helps that both are strong in quite different areas at this point)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle