collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did ESPN blow it?  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Dare

Did ESPN blow it?
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:56:35 AM »
 I have ESPN but I watched my usual streams. Maybe Liberty
might rehire Hobbs and crew when their online streaming starts
later this year.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/espns-first-weekend-showing-formula-1-was-a-fiasco/?comments=1

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

Re: Did ESPN blow it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 01:25:38 AM »
I can't say that I am surprised. 

When I first moved here to Western Canada, watching any North American coverage of Formula 1 was absolutely painful.  Whether it be poor knowledge of the sport, poor broadcast organisation or extremely tacky presentations, squeezed into a bucket load of commercials, returning to the action at the worst possible moment.

Don't get me started on TSN, that's another painful story/experience!!!!

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:35:06 AM »
As a trans-Atlantic-er (the other direction), I have found F1 broadcasts fantastic.  BBC/ITV coverage was always top notch, and Ch4 when they were doing it live were very good.  My standby SRF2 broadcasts almost commercial free (if there is a race stoppage they throw a few ads in, but otherwise all are saved for before and after the race) and pretty good, but in German so I have to concentrate on the language.

From the report, it seems ESPN did a horrible job.  The dropping in of ads at any whim drives me nuts - lately Youtube has started that trend, mainly because it is just a robot that causes the clip you are watching to suddenly jump to an ad at some set time or something.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »
I can't say that I am surprised. 

When I first moved here to Western Canada, watching any North American coverage of Formula 1 was absolutely painful.  Whether it be poor knowledge of the sport, poor broadcast organisation or extremely tacky presentations, squeezed into a bucket load of commercials, returning to the action at the worst possible moment.

Don't get me started on TSN, that's another painful story/experience!!!!

All the best,

I'm pretty sure I've covered TSN enough that everyone here is sick of me talking about it.  Aside from the commercials, we've come a LONG way since Vic Rauter, so I don't complain too much.

One of the nice things about being in the chat, if you're on commercial (TSN shows side by side commercial/live race), you can ask what's going on if you see something interesting.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
Hate the look of the halos, might stop a large object but not a bolt or spring falling from a car, even a danger that the halo can divert it into the body. As far as driver ID I think one of the cars cameras is bright yellow.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
Yeah, each team has one yellow camera and one black one. The FIA thinks that along with their numbers should allow fans to easily identify the drivers.   :fool:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
ESPN was beyond horrible. Liberty has taken us from the best coverage to the worst in a single bound.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/fans-lambaste-espns-debut-f1-broadcast
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've covered TSN enough that everyone here is sick of me talking about it.

Hi Jericoke!

The issue I had with TSN (well, the main one of many) ...

A good few years back, I was patiently waiting on live coverage of a F1 race (can't remember where in the world it was in all honesty?) ... and back then, I had no other options but the choice of TSN or SPEED.   This particular weekend, I don't even think SPEED were covering the live race?

Anyway, all my eggs were in one basket and TSN was the only dependable choice to enjoy the live race.   So, I tune in 15 minutes before the start (as build up coverage was very limited and nothing close to 1˝ hours we enjoy these days).   As I turn the 'tube' on, I am presented with Live Basketball.. okay, no big deal, so I anxiously keep an eye the clock.   Yes, you guessed the first outcome already, 10 minutes past the hour, 30 minutes past the hour .... (antique items being thrown at walls) ... 1 hour past, almost 2 hours past, before, STRAP IN TIGHT .... "Graphic Announcement" and "Condescending Voice" ..... "We are sorry for the delay and will now join the formula 1 bla bla bla" ..... only to be presented with the 3 top drivers in the Press Conference.   Then, as I cry my eyes out and hysterically try to remember my own name and why I am here on planet earth ... another announcement ... "We will now re-run the entire F1 Race from bla bla bla" ...

WELL, THAT FIXED EVERYTHING!!!! (dripping with sarcasm).

Anyway, once I calmed down (6 months later or whenever I didn't feel like I was plugged into the mains) ... I wrote to TSN and explained my displeasure in how they handled the event.   Their basic reply was something along the lines of "It is our policy not to leave a Live Event".

So, TSN's logic = We won't leave Live Basketball .... to join Live F1 (two live events back to back, where I event clearly takes preference over the latter).

All the best,

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
I recall years ago (20 or so) when I was still in Canada watching an F1 race that had gone to red flag due to a major accident.  When the allotted time for the race (barely 2hrs) passed, they cut the feed and threw up a tennis feed from somewhere (no doubt a grand slam, but still), which went for almost an hour in pre-match highlights and discussions - I had hung out hoping they would at least give updates or switch back over for the last few laps.  It was clear then that F1 was rated way down the priorities of TSN.   |-( |-(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Here is an update on the ESPN F1 drama ...

https://www.pitpass.com/61448/ESPN-to-go-ad-free-for-remainder-of-F1-season

All the best,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »
Here is an update on the ESPN F1 drama ...

https://www.pitpass.com/61448/ESPN-to-go-ad-free-for-remainder-of-F1-season

All the best,

How did Disney even screw this up?  They own TSN in Canada, so they've already got experience just showing Sky's live feed (including side by side commercials).  They could even just simulcast the TSN broadcast with American commercials, as TSN has been showing American content with Canadian commercials for decades.  (Or just leave the Canadian commercials in, they're mostly made for America car commercials anyway)

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
TSN is now a swear word in this household ... and by the reports from ESPN's recent saga, I would expect their F1 audience to also treat ESPN as a swear word, or a newly developed Acronym!!

All the best,

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
ESPN did a far better job with Sakir than they did with Melbourne, but still far below what NBC had done. At least they're trying. A cheer for the Mother's Polish people for staying on as "presenting sponsor" without all of the adverts.

Back in it's early (pre-Disney) days, ESPN had outstanding motorsports coverage. They carried many NASCAR races when live race coverage was still a rarity. Their "Saturday Night Thunder" short track coverage was a classic. They had very good NHRA drag racing coverage up until a couple of years ago, when the series disappeared on to one of the Fox Sports channels.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
ESPN BLEW IT! ... Part TWO!!!

https://www.pitpass.com/61660/ESPN-fails-US-fans-again

Oh dear!  :(

All the best,

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »
Here, quali coverage was on ESPN 2. It started about 7:55 am, about 5 minutes before the cars went on track.

― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle