collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 125
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Your Podium of Sport?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Calman

Your Podium of Sport?
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »
Hi folks!

I hope this is the logical area to post such a topic, but I was curious if Formula 1 is everyone's "top sport" ... and how it ranks in members' Top 3 of all those glorious sports out there??

Personally, this is how F1 ranks in this household.

#1 - Formula 1
#2 - Snooker
#3 - Bit of the old Darts here & there!

Of course, I am open to many other sports to pass the time, but these are clear favourites on the top steps.

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Your Podium of Sport?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:56 AM »
My top 3 looks like this:-

1. F1
2.. British Touring Cars
3. Moto GP

I do enjoy the occasional football/soccer, Rugby or snooker match on TV, but I'd never give anything up to watch as I do for my top 3.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:12:01 AM »
British Touring Cars used to be on my top 3 list also, but after going through many changes over the years and certain teams/manufacturers dropping out, I lost a bit of interest for a while.   Also, being on this side of the world for the last number of years, not so easy to stay in touch with BTCC.

I tried to follow DTM for a while, but didn't feel the addiction ANYWHERE close to my F1 Fix!!!

Outdoor Motocross also made for good viewing back in the day (can't be bothered with indoor-ish arenas).

All the best,

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »
I enjoy watching plenty of motorsports, but lets just call that one pick...

1. Motorsports (F1 at the top of that list)
2. Skiing (mostly freestyle, but I like the Downhills as well)
3. Biking (the downhill MTB races fascinate me, but I will also watch some of the racing tours)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
My top three
1....Motorsports..... F1....MotoGP.....IoM TT
2....Rugby Union
3....Snooker
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
My top three spectator sports:

1) (Ice) Hockey
2) F1 racing
3) Baseball

Other sports I'll watch if I have free time and are on TV:
IndyCar racing
Curling
Basketball

My top three participation sports*:
1) Soccer
2) Volleyball
3) 8 Ball

*participation is in the past, I am no longer the athlete I was.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
My top 3 would be:

1.  F1
2.  Sports car/Endurance racing (see note below)
3.  Dirt oval stock car racing.

Note: I sort of lumped together LeMans/IMSA/PWC/Hankook 24hr Series/Blancpain Series/etc.

Until recently, I would have included IndyCar. I lost most of my interest in it back in the CART days but got it back with the IRL. Now that CART has pretty much returned, I've lost most of my interest again.

For participant sports:

1.  Hiking
2.  Snowboarding
3. Cycling.

For those of you not familiar with dirt tacking, it's the most fun you can have on wheels. All left turns taken mostly with the steering at full right hand lock. This is at a track I used to race at:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:11:47 PM »
1. F1
2. Ice Hockey (I'm from the UK so merely hockey does not cut it!)
3. American Football (for any US friends on here the same applies as above!)
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
1. Motorsports (which itself goes WEC -> F1 -> FE -> other series Fisico is in -> other motorsport)
2. Running (though when I do it, "mostly walking" is perhaps a better description)
3. Swimming

This is both watching and (current) competing.

I've yet to go abroad to watch a running or swimming race (though I have done so to compete in swimming galas before, and hope to one day do so to compete in a running race). Whereas I have watched a sportscar and touring car race in Italy and Hungary respectively, and will soon do the same for F1.

Incidentally, I'm pleased to report that I will compete in a kart for the first time since 2010 in Stoke-on-Trent on 22nd-24th June (that's the French Grand Prix weekend). I will be part of Team CXC's team in the UK Corporate Games, doing both a "Grand Prix" and "Endurance" race (subject to us getting a team of 4 together in that event - likely but not quite 100% guaranteed yet). Amusingly, the original plan for that event was to have me do my first swimming competition in 5 years (because I stood a chance of getting points, if not an outright medal)... ...but that event got cancelled, hence the scramble to get a 4-person team.

I am interested in other sports, but these are the 3 that I have a consistent interest in all year.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01:25 PM »
Participant sports in order of enjoyment...

Biking (MTB & Race)
Sailing
Skiing

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:51:37 AM »
I also used to love watching good old Kickstart, while putting my feet up with a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits!!!

All the best,

Offline Robem64

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
Incidentally, I'm pleased to report that I will compete in a kart for the first time since 2010 in Stoke-on-Trent on 22nd-24th June (that's the French Grand Prix weekend). I will be part of Team CXC's team in the UK Corporate Games, doing both a "Grand Prix" and "Endurance" race (subject to us getting a team of 4 together in that event - likely but not quite 100% guaranteed yet). Amusingly, the original plan for that event was to have me do my first swimming competition in 5 years (because I stood a chance of getting points, if not an outright medal)... ...but that event got cancelled, hence the scramble to get a 4-person team.

I am interested in other sports, but these are the 3 that I have a consistent interest in all year.

What a shame, I actually live in Stoke on Trent but I'm going to be away on holiday during those June dates - would have been a good opportunity to meet another GPwizard member. I had the good fortune to meet Andy B  at the Malaysian GP last year.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »

What a shame, I actually live in Stoke on Trent but I'm going to be away on holiday during those June dates - would have been a good opportunity to meet another GPwizard member. I had the good fortune to meet Andy B  at the Malaysian GP last year.

I think In 2010 Ali is referring to one of two annual kart races we had at Teamwork’s in Birmingham when a bunch of us got together after the Autosport show.  It was great fun the first year, because I won  :D :D ... in all seriousness it was most fun to meet the others and put faces to the avatars.  The second year we were watered down by doing it with an F1 podcast team (but I think one of ours - Slugger - won it as well).  It’s a bit tough doing get together with the geography, but I’m still all for somehow meeting one or some members at some kind of Motorsports meeting.  I think maybe we start a thread about who would be interested in doing a meet-up at Goodwood, either the Festival or Revival.

guest3164

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
Hmm, I will probably be shot down and banned from the forum for this, but I have to be honest with it:

1- Tennis- because I play it and watch it and have been involved in it for longer than I have been in F1.  I've been to Wimbledon a couple of times, Queens Club, Eastbourne and I've played it for over 20 years including club v club leagues. 

2- Motorsports- I love it but having never 'done it' I can't put it first.  I love F1 but I also follow WRC (M-Sport Ford), MotoGP (VR46) and I look out for Jimmie Johnson after I saw him at the Race of Champions. 

3- Football- I am a long term Liverpool fan and although I do not enjoy football as much these days, I can't 'not' follow them. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »

That is a pity. I tried to hold a karting event in 2011 but couldn't get the numbers. Not sure I'd have any better chance of it now, unfortunately - my friends live so far away from each other...

I am going to Silverstone for the 10 km running race on 2nd May, if anyone is interested in seeing if they can run faster than me - or just plain watching me going round in circles. (I say that because I have yet to finish the two-laps-round-1990s-spec-Silverstone in a higher position than last).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle