collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Reaction to Kimi's Conduct!  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Calman

Reaction to Kimi's Conduct!
« on: April 10, 2018, 03:17:41 AM »
Hi folks!

You have probably seen this story blow up on Social Media and Sport News sites, but do you think everyone needs to calm down and stop being over judgemental towards Kimi's conduct at the Bahrain GP?

We know he wouldn't win personality of the year, but is it fair how people are reacting to the events which unfolded from the weekend?

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Online Jericoke

Re: Reaction to Kimi's Conduct!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 03:46:12 AM »
I don't follow much on social media or sports news.

When Kimi stormed off the track, he was not aware that someone was injured, only that his team had f'ed up a pit stop twice in one weekend.

If we're talking about something else, what is it?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:39:37 PM by Jericoke »

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:00:16 AM »
Yes, we are talking about the same thing!!

Well, the gutter press are drumming up the "uncaring card" ... did we expect anything less?

As you say, he was certainly 'not in the picture' and it appeared that communication from anyone in red was NIL, as he walked over and briefly tried to assess what was happening, before walking into the back of the garage.

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 01:22:44 PM »
In a vacuum of info, everybody can only assess his body language.  Until I know more, I too am disappointed by his reaction.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 03:29:56 PM »
In a vacuum of info, everybody can only assess his body language.  Until I know more, I too am disappointed by his reaction.

What am I missing?  What reaction are you disappointed about? 

Assuming Kimi knew exactly what was going on, he's not medical personnel, so clearing out would be the best thing he could do.  I think it's safe to assume that Kimi didn't run anyone over on purpose, so it's 100% fair for him to be angry with the series of events which caused him to run over a crew member.  If someone I trusted told me to do something that injured someone else I care about, you can be assured my body language would involve anger and disappointment.

So, again, what exactly are we expecting Kimi to do in this scenario?  Crowd around the pit lane with 50 other people who can't help?  Stop to chat with people who are just as confused about what's going on as he is?  Stand around in an active pit lane without his safety equipment on, and stare into an FIA camera while shedding a tear?

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
For me it's quite simple. 

Kimi quite understandably got out of his car furious over his lost chance in the race.  The team had only told him to stop the car.  Then, as he gets closer, his angry march slowed as he saw there was a lot of commotion around his pit box.  He seems to look carefully, and then suddenly turns and storms through the garage. 

The last sentence is where things go south for me as a person.  I'm not naive, I don't expect him to elbow his way in and start trying to set the bones, in fact I don't even expect him to get any closer to the commotion.  What I expect out of him is some concern to find out if everyone is ok, and once he knows that, then go about his business. 

For all I know he changed and then went straight to the medical centre, accompanied poor Francesco to the hospital and sat bedside with him until the operation.  None of that has anything to do with what I am trying to say. 

At the point he turned away, he could not know if he had simply nicked the guy's shin and he's just a typical Italian footballer who goes down with the slightest gust of wind, or if the mechanic had serious head trauma or spinal injury, or 'just' a broken leg.  It's a big unknown to a guy in a helmet who hasn't spoken to anyone, and yeah, I don't think it shows much compassion, and I call that a major character flaw.

What did I expect?  Grab the next red guy nearby and ask to have the situation clarified.  If it looked really bad, then maybe it is time to stay with the rest of the team and make sure they know they have your support in a crisis.  If it was confirmed that it was minor, then march away with that information.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
I think there is a rule that drivers returning during a race have to immediately go into the garage. There is a line on the floor across the doorway that only designated personnel may be outside of when the track is active. Ali, could you please let us know if this is the case?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:27:11 AM »
I think there is a rule that drivers returning during a race have to immediately go into the garage. There is a line on the floor across the doorway that only designated personnel may be outside of when the track is active. Ali, could you please let us know if this is the case?

The driver is among the people who can be outside of the garage line while the track is active; indeed the driver can cross the fast lane of the pits to spectate from the team's pit perch, if such is their desire, there is no traffic, it is not the last 15 seconds before a race start... ...and they have no other obligations.

However, there is also a rule that says all drivers who have retired must go to the media pen (which is in the middle of the paddock) as soon as they know they have retired. They can delay long enough to swap car-specific items for a sponsor hat, but doing things like getting an update from senior staff is forbidden unless they can deliver it without delaying the driver. There are very limited circumstances where that can be waived; these require prior permission to skip excess media engagements (which I believe was last issued for a driver in Imola 2003 to the Schumachers so they could visit their dying mother), driver illness severe enough to need a visit to the medical centre, or an FIA assessment that a team member is badly enough injured to warrant excusing its members from the usual media duties (had the accident been a bit worse or a bit more complicated, the FIA would likely have granted that exception). None applied here, though I doubt we were far from the latter.

I've never heard of anyone getting a penalty for failing to give an interview, but the stewards can give 3 penalty points and a non-racing reprimand for not fulfilling media duties (this was cited in their reason not to penalise Esteban Ocon for being late to the national anthem in China last year - had he aborted the interview he was in at the time, the penalty would have been the same as the one for being late to the anthem). Given Kimi's luck this year, he'd be forgiven for thinking delay would have led to him being the first to actually get the penalty...

Drivers are specifically not supposed to stop long enough to receive instructions from a press officer, though in practise they will invariably have a press officer with them in the pen. However, the press officer can't cross the line to enter the garage, let alone exit from the other side. Therefore, the driver must go to their press officer (who is usually stationed somewhere between the garage entrance and the team motorhome entrance) promptly, or else go to the assembled media and hope their press officer catches up.

Technically, the moment Kimi realised he wasn't getting a tow back to the pits from his mechanics to try again, he was required to go to the media pen. He wouldn't even have been allowed to find out what was stopping the mechanics from assisting him or if there was anything he could do to help them, strictly speaking. (Maybe he couldn't help his injured colleague, but I'm sure some of the other mechanics would have been about ready for a brew after that - and Kimi would not have minded an excuse to not do interviews in advance of knowing the facts). I think Kimi worked out at some point before he was interviewed that one of his crew was down and maybe injured, but that could have been a "fridge realisation" after he'd stormed into the garage, cursing his misfortune, and switched from "racer mode" to "logical mind".

After everyone has had their fill of interviews (Kimi probably before everyone else), then and only then can the press officer give complete "downloads" of information to their driver. Only then can medical centres be visited, motorhome debriefs attended or pit perches occupied by the driver. Ferrari may not have communicated with their driver, but the rules tend to frustrate efforts to do so. Their purpose is to frustrate attempts to force drivers to toe the party line... ...but in this case, "toeing the party line" would have been to everyone's advantage, including the journalists' and Kimi's.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:29:28 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »
Kimi looked over towards the mechanic and with
his iceman demeanor we'll never know his exact
feeling. Me he's human and works with these guys
so I think it bothered him.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »

I can't imagine the pressure he's under to maintain that 'IceMan' facade.  It really affected Mikka too.  I imagine Bottas will inherit the title as a Finn.

It's funny, there are plenty of Finns in the NHL, and they don't have the 'IceMan' reputation that Finns get in racing.  Maybe calling anyone an 'IceMan' in ice hockey is too on the nose?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 08:40:23 AM »

I can't imagine the pressure he's under to maintain that 'IceMan' facade.  It really affected Mikka too.  I imagine Bottas will inherit the title as a Finn.

It's funny, there are plenty of Finns in the NHL, and they don't have the 'IceMan' reputation that Finns get in racing.  Maybe calling anyone an 'IceMan' in ice hockey is too on the nose?

The sheer number of Finns in the NHL is probably why they don't all get called Iceman. For that matter, rallying doesn't call its Finns "Iceman" by default either. When there is no particular pattern to a nationality's personalities on view in a a given race, there is more caution in attributing nicknames.

Heikki Kovalainen managed to avoid it even in F1's smaller reference pool, because it was obvious after a few races that he had the wrong personality for the sobriquet. Also, people would have laughed if attempting to call Keke Rosberg "Iceman" rather than "The Flying Finn" in the 1980s. We can cite JJ Lehto and the Mikas (Hakkinen and Salo) for the shift within F1 to defaulting to "Iceman" for Finns.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle