collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 346
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi's China race  (Read 3690 times)

Online Dare

Kimi's China race
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
excerpt from a Sky article on the race

How can Ferrari explain Raikkonen strategy?

He may have made an impressive start to F1 2018 and he may have finished the Chinese GP with his second podium of the season - but make no mistake, Kimi Raikkonen is still very much Ferrari's number two.

Ferrari, in an attempt to help Vettel catch the then race-leader Bottas, essentially used Raikkonen, an F1 title-winner and the sport's elder statesman, as a road block.

Let's paint the picture. Raikkonen was fourth, three seconds ahead of Ricciardo in sixth, before Red Bull made their first double pit-stop on Lap 18. He was also ahead of Hamilton before Mercedes pulled the trigger a lap later. But while those around him were brought into the pits, including his team-mate who had just lost the lead to Bottas, Raikkonen was kept out until the Mercedes and Ferrari behind him had caught up.

A cunning move from Bottas into Turn One meant the strategy didn't even make a positional difference, with Kimi letting Vettel past soon after, but it could have had a huge impact on the Iceman's race.

He emerged from his Lap 28 pit-stop in a distant sixth, some 13 seconds behind Ricciardo. That means he lost 16 seconds through following Ferrari's orders. It was only due to collisions and a Safety Car, which fortunately meant Raikkonen finished the race on fresher tyres than most, that he salvaged third place and some decent points.

"The interesting thing was how badly they used Raikkonen to help Vettel," concluded Nico Rosberg on Sky F1. "They completely ruined his race just to give Vettel a little bit of a chance to overtake Bottas."

Raikkonen had a pace advantage over Vettel for much of the weekend and was only out-qualified by 0.088s, but if his standing within the Scuderia wasn't completely clear before this weekend - it is now.

"It was a painful race and not an enjoyable one," admitted the Finn.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

Re: Kimi's China race
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:43:42 PM »
That's spot on Dare its a shame that racing has come down to this as after the first lap the next 24 were boring then the safety and tyre changes came into play. Oh for the days of wheel to wheel nose to tail racing.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:10 PM »
If Raikkonen had been able to hold Bottas for one more lap, I think Vettel would have got by, which could have completely changed the complexion of the race.

However, the tyres were never going to hold long enough. To my mind, Ferrari spoilt both of their drivers' races by refusing to switch to a two-stop early enough; it was simply more obvious for Raikkonen because Vettel's race was primarily wrecked by Verstappen.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:25:26 AM »
I think Kimi is well aware of hit status at Ferrari, and I also think that Ferrari is well aware that Kimi is going to do what he wants from time to time.  It would seem there's a professional balance between team and driver.

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 03:17:56 AM »
Let's paint the picture

You don't even have to flick the bristles of your paint brush, as it was painfully obvious what Ferrari's agenda was, well before the pundits/commentators suggested what was about to unfold.  However, at the end of the day, regardless of Kimi being used as a blow up sumo wrestler, he did manage to grace the podium with his unique flavour of excitement and pumped up body language in a "rave level" podium interview ... NOT.

By this point, I simply wonder how Kimi doesn't nod off at his own reflection in the Ferrari cockpit???

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:18:03 AM »
Kimi goes well in practice and quali, but never seems to have race pace. And I would be severely POed that Vettel blocking me off the line cost me 2 positions to avoid crashing him out.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:45:13 AM »
Kimi goes well in practice and quali, but never seems to have race pace. And I would be severely POed that Vettel blocking me off the line cost me 2 positions to avoid crashing him out.

That was going to be my point.  Vettel blocking Kimi off the grid cost Kimi those two places.  I'm amazed he agreed to the block strategy after having to put up with that sort of thing at the start. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
I think Kimi could do well in the races but on face value this season it seems he is scuppered by his team each time out.  Not sure if it is all entirely intentionally or if they are forgetting to strategise well for him as they put all of their efforts in to Vettel's race.  To me this is the best Kimi has driven probably since he left Lotus. 

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »
It is a crime that in 2018, Kimi seems more comfortable/adapted to the car and he appears more than capable of podiums, possibly even victories this season.  However, Max's little shunt with Vettel has reduced the gap to Hamilton, so I'd bet that Ferrari will rely on Kimi to turn his car into a bright red combine harvester in races which are crucial on the points tally!!

If only Kimi had better reliability/no issues in the first couple of races, Ferrari would have a tougher time favouring Vettel, but it now looks like an obvious support role for Kimi -just 3 races into the 2018 season. Real Shame!!!

All the best,

Online Dare

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
It is a crime that in 2018, Kimi seems more comfortable/adapted to the car and he appears more than capable of podiums, possibly even victories this season.  However, Max's little shunt with Vettel has reduced the gap to Hamilton, so I'd bet that Ferrari will rely on Kimi to turn his car into a bright red combine harvester in races which are crucial on the points tally!!

If only Kimi had better reliability/no issues in the first couple of races, Ferrari would have a tougher time favouring Vettel, but it now looks like an obvious support role for Kimi -just 3 races into the 2018 season. Real Shame!!!

All the best,

Or reliable pit stops
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Whilst I can't disagree with the assertion that it looks like Ferrari is using Kimi as Seb's No 2, isn't it also obvious that Kimi was in a better position for a good finish after the safety car?

Split strategy is the best each way bet for teams not sure of outright pace for a good old 1-2 surely?  :confused:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
I think this coming weekend's race could really underline the fact that Ferrari will once again "use" Kimi as a blocker or certainly exercise the "No.2" strategy.  Obviously, the points between Hamilton and Vettel are now closer and Ferrari will (as any team would) prioritise Seb's race strategy on Sunday.

All the best,

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
I think this coming weekend's race could really underline the fact that Ferrari will once again "use" Kimi as a blocker or certainly exercise the "No.2" strategy.  Obviously, the points between Hamilton and Vettel are now closer and Ferrari will (as any team would) prioritise Seb's race strategy on Sunday.

All the best,

Ferrari is the only team that has been badly burned by putting all their eggs in one basket.  They lost the 1999 WDC by 2 points because they favoured Schumacher, and then lost him to a broken leg.

Of course, Ferrari also knows first hand how to win a championship when your opponents can't agree on a number one driver.

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 07:56:22 AM »
If you had a gamble, would you vote for A) Kimi winning a race in 2018 ... B) Williams finishing in the points with both cars ... or C) Neither of the two!!

All the best,

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »
Neither to happen, but I think Kimi winning a race is more likely.

I can foresee Williams producing an impressive car... ...in 2019.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle