collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Can they make F1 any more "Arcade Like" ?  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Calman

Can they make F1 any more "Arcade Like" ?
« on: April 27, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »
Just heard about the new "Halo Graphics" ... and like most new things introduced under the new management, I don't like them very much at all.   Give it another year or two and we won't be able to see any real action for graphic overlays!!!!

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Online Jericoke

Re: Can they make F1 any more "Arcade Like" ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
I agree it looks silly, but it's a major upgrade from the 'Halo Cam' we've been seeing so far this season.

I suppose it's a problem for teams that had sold advertizing space up there.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
When Max throws his car at the scenery, it will flash a big

GAME OVER
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:04 PM »
Even less ability to see what is actually happening :(
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
I saw it in quali. It's actually more annoying & harder to read than it looks in the picture. The little box they used to have was much better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »
I saw it in quali. It's actually more annoying & harder to read than it looks in the picture. The little box they used to have was much better.

I think they've gone a great job with 'polishing a turd'.  The halo is very uninviting and poor TV, this does a great job of providing information without wasting screen space.

It's not better than before, but before there was no halo wasting half the screen.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 02:35:31 AM »
Nailed it!!   :good:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »
I thought the teams would be selling prime advertising space on it by now.
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
Williams have got Rexona logos on the Halo.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:38 AM »
I thought the teams would be selling prime advertising space on it by now.

If that's the case, these new graphics probably won't last long  :D

What's more worrying for me is the amount of times their on screen stats are simply wrong. Especially the time between drivers. eg They were indicating Vettel - Hamilton at 18s when in fact that was the Bottas - Hamilton interval.  It's happened in previous races as well. This is worrying because it seems to imply there's some guy manually creating the on screen info, because a computer won't make that mistake!

I also don't like how they are indicating the interval between two drivers is decreasing (green) or increasing (yellow). It simply doesn't work because they are measuring this interval almost permanently. So in a section (not even a sector!) where one car is quicker it decreases, in another section the other car is quicker and it increases again. But that's irrelevant. What's important is the change over one lap, not over a random 200m stretch of the track.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »

What's more worrying for me is the amount of times their on screen stats are simply wrong.

Quite right....during qualifying the amount of times it showed "No Time" next to a whole bunch of drivers was a complete joke. Surely this stuff is simple to get right.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Glad others have noticed the "No Time" issue, as I thought I was going loopy!!!!

Watching the pecking order was always "edge of your seat" stuff in past years, but seeing several cars cross the line in qualifying ... only to have to wait several seconds for their system to display the lap time, well, in this day and age, it's really embarrassing, especially for a high-tech sport like F1.

Tell me I'm wrong, but surely the whole idea of the onboard camera was to give viewers/fans as close a feel as possible of what the driver sees from the cockpit (okay, well, slightly above it).   I used to love these simple, but effective viewpoints back in the Damon Hill days and beyond ... but these OTT overlay graphics "silly" the sport in my honest opinion.   

I even noticed that some of the driver "graphic/photo" intros have been dabbled with even more - it's getting beyond a joke at this point.

All the best,

All the best,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »
I enjoyed watching Leclerc go sliding down the running order even though he was running 6th or 7th.  Even the commentators got confused by that one, although with Crofty I guess that is not too unusual  :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »
I noticed it, too. I wonder if it was a glitch with the transponder system.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 11:22:26 PM »
The DRS activation didn't work at one point on the track so there could have been more electronic/satellite issues they haven't told is about in Baku.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle