collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 291
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liberty Tampering Again!!  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Calman

Re: Liberty Tampering Again!!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
Bernie's biggest downfall, was his reluctance to embrace Information Technology and of course, his flavour of "wheeling and dealing" would never win any Sunday School prizes.   On the positives, he was an F1 Pedigree and from the years I followed him in the sport, he promoted the sport on a global level (yes, it's all about money, but wouldn't you be worried if that wasn't the agenda in that kind of role of power?).

I have less faith in Liberty Media's handling of our great sport and can't help but repeat, they have more focus on the presentation inside of US borders and from what I've seen so far, several of their decisions have been "ropey".  I would be slightly less concerned if Mr Carey and Mr Bratches were simply "owners" who signed the paperwork, with a "front of house" team who had F1 technical knowledge moving forward, but this clearly is not the case and the continual "Americanizing the Sport" is clear to see (unless you have been living under a rock for the last few months).

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
I've been living above ground thankfully, but I don't see all the changes as simply pandering to the US market.  I can tell you by the current crop of crap shows in Europe that there is just as much a market for the flashy wow factor as there is in the US, and the F1 market in the US was practically non existent, but it is in Europe where it has lost fans and needs to improve.  Bernie presided over the buildup and the fall-off.  When the millions turned into billions, he turned it into being all about greed and how to extract the absolute most from all the other stakeholders in the sport instead of supporting them to build the sport into what it could have been.  Bernie was a cancer IMO. 

What improvement is, is of course not always clear to each individual.  I like most of the new graphics.  I like the idea of bringing more content to the internet.  I like the idea of tweaking the economics for survival of the littlest and not only the biggest. 

I like the idea of, well, change.  If nothing else, Liberty is bringing that.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
As I see it, We've gone from Bernie, Who knows racing but doesn't know the Net, to Liberty Media, who know the Net but don't have a clue about racing.

When I see Liberty's plans for F1, I'm reminded of an old saying we have over here: all sizzle and no steak.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
As I see it, We've gone from Bernie, Who knows racing but doesn't know the Net, to Liberty Media, who know the Net but don't have a clue about racing.

When I see Liberty's plans for F1, I'm reminded of an old saying we have over here: all sizzle and no steak.

Keeping in mind that FOM and FIA are supposed to be distinct entities, Liberty isn't legally in a position to provide the steak, they can only produce sizzle.  Bernie had the FIA... not completely under his thumb, but he had earned quite a lot of sway.  Anyone who replaced him would run in the same issue of the FIA and FOM not always working together.

I think that Liberty is 'crowd sourcing' their ideas, throwing them out and seeing what sticks.  It's frustrating when they try something stupid, but it's only a problem if they stick with something stupid.

Offline Calman

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »

This is Post of the Day for me!!! ... all sizzle and no steak, I like that!  :good:

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
The only problem is I had omelette for dinner but now wish I had eaten steak  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle