collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 318
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Fan's Voice  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Robem64

F1 Fan's Voice
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
Anyone else signed up for this?

https://www.f1fanvoice.com/

I have and interested to see how it goes.....let's get a good GPW presence on there as this forum has many good ideas and strong opinions.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

Re: F1 Fan's Voice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 05:57:09 PM »
I just signed up. The response from the site when I was filling out the application was very, very slow. I hope that is just due to heavy usage.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
I just signed up. The response from the site when I was filling out the application was very, very slow. I hope that is just due to heavy usage.

Must be run by the same mob that's making a mess of the race streaming service.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
Hmmm! ... A little Dubious???

Registrant: Pam Taylor, GB
Business: MRSG Limited
Tech Support: Hostmonster ONEONONE
59 Days Old

Certainly doesn't strike me as a "big player" ... and with that said, I would be curious if "they" asked for permission to use the official F1 logo.   I contacted the official channels at the end of last year and after playing email tag and receiving quotes similar to "your requested has been forwarded for further consideration" .... I eventually gave up waiting and designed my own logo.

Oh yes, and this domain (server) is VERY SLOW!! ... so I think I will pass.

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »
Edit: Found the official F1.com site's link to it. Either F1.com has been hacked for the last 6 hours and not noticed, or this is genuine... ...and someone needs to explain the concept of administrative consistency to them. I'll strike through the incorrect bit and leave the rest, since most of my criticism still seems valid (albeit in a different context to that initially believed).

Good news - their privacy policy appears to be GPDR-compliant*.

Bad news - ...the first clue that there is a problem is that Formula1.com's privacy policy complies differently*.

They're not even using a consistent font family. Formula1.com is using three fonts that are all copyrighted to it. F1 Fan Voice's terms and conditions appear to be in Helvetica, which isn't. (Though this explains why I am able to read the T&Cs...)

Note that the privacy policy information addresses are completely different. Not only is the bit before the @ different (which would imply a different department in the same general area), but so is the bit after the @. That generally means a different organisation.

Also, there is no news about the survey on the official F1 website or its Twitter account. Neither does the site so much as claim to be associated with any other entity - last time F1 did a survey, it got a media company to assist its efforts so that as many people as possible heard the news. The other big clue? No link to the formula1.com home page on the F1 Fan Forum site. Given the large use of the F1 logo, this would appear to be an attempt to circumvent the rule on the formula1.com site that:

Linking to the official F1 website formula1.com is permitted so long as such use does not create any unauthorised association between the Formula 1 companies and their brands, and any third party or its products or services.

Note that despite all other information on F1 Fan Voice pointing to its independence, the postal address given is the same as for formula1.com. I am sure formula1.com would be really surprised to get mail from people wanting things doing in writing (e.g. complaints about servers being too slow to believe the site owner would receive an email headed for the same server).

Not only does this not appear to be a F1 initiative, it seems likely that it is completely unknown to them. This is really nothing more than a third-party survey site, but it wants to be more than that. Which may be its downfall.

The best laugh? The site claims, in its privacy policy, that it uses cookies "and other technologies". No such "other technologies" were detected by my computer (it literally only uses cookies). So that bit is pointless scaremongering.

* - My company has spent the last 2 weeks drilling GPDR compliance into me; I'm glad to have found a non-work-related use for it...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:55:26 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
Apologies for the double post: here is my take on the sign-up process:

Impressions of the site:

No need to log into the main site to do this. I like that, because the main site is slow at the best of times.

This is the fastest, most uncluttered official survey I've ever seen. This says more about the surveys previously used (I still remember the 2010 one taking 4 hours to fill...) and may be prompted by a combination of subsequent technology developments (the site appears to have assumed my desktop is a mobile phone) and the fact that F1.com appears to want this to be a monthly thing (if the fact that paddock tickets get given out monthly is any indicator - I can't imagine they issue those to people who last updated them of their thoughts ten months ago).

It has taken 15 seconds for the next screen to load. I don't see how there was 15 seconds of loading to do, but Twitter Mobile is slower...

The first 2 pages are for gender and age range. Quite why the latter is necessary when the next page requires a birth date is a mystery. As is why under-8s and over-108s are excluded. There are a few people in the world who are above 108 and might still watch F1... ...and there are definitely fans aged 7 or below. Since the F1 site has special consent rules enabling under-16s to use some of their content, and there's no note before this on the survey saying only people 8+ may fill it in, this is surprising.

11 languages are listed as options; I assume these are the languages for which F1 has translators. Given F1 fan patterns I've seen, I'm surprised Polish isn't an option (though all the choices shown on the list make sense). There is an "Other" option, though it appears greyed-out, so people may not realise that it can be selected, and the survey will progress once "Other" is replaced by the language the surveyed user speaks.

Well done to F1 for allowing people to be signed up to F1 Fan Voice and be full members (including competition rights) without being signed up to the main F1 feed (which I suspect would be a substantial weight on an email inbox). This is also the first time I noticed that there is a progress bar above the logo, with a black line moving as the next page loads.

A small thing, but make sure you give a genuine email when prompted. Otherwise the verification email won't arrive there, and you'll only get to do the first half of the survey.

Confirmation of the privacy policy acceptance is only obtained after the verification email is sent, which is odd as the GPDR would apply on any combination of the email address with the gender or birthday (which F1 already has by this point).

A screen name (prefilled with gobbledygook for your inconvenience) password, "about you", location, favourite driver and favourite team are requested next. The password must have letters and numbers, as well as mixed case, and be at least 8 characters. People who like neutrality will be pleased to know you can select "None" for each of the favourite boxes, and the "About you" looks like it may be optional.

The initial survey is then complete, and after that there is access to the F1 Fan Voice. Which appears to be trying to be a bit like a replacement for GP Wizard. And yes, that includes the obligatory nine-post thread about server lag complaints...

Now I just need to find out how the advertised competition works...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
For what it's worth, I first learned about it in an e-mail from the same info@fans.formula1.com that my other F1 updates come from.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
Fair warning: expect points further down the grid, more segmented qualifying and sprint races - whether you want them or not.

I say this because a highly biased survey was dropped onto the F1 Fan Voice forum, which not only asks every question several times with similar wording, but on some of those questions, only allows answers the surveyors want to be distinguishable.

For example, there's one question about points where they seem to accept anything from "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree" to the matter of "Points should be extended beyond the top 10". The next question asks "How many drivers should score points in a race?"... ...and the minimum numerated option is 11! I'd answered "Strongly disagree" to the first of these questions, meaning the only thing I could do to advance the survey was to select "Prefer not to say"... ...as if this was a question about race or sexuality.

I had no idea that wanting only 10 drivers to score points classified as sensitive personal information.

Now, it's not clear if Liberty told the surveyors what to ask and how to phrase the questions, or if they just said "Regular surveys, please" and the surveyors then came up with this survey. However, it's pretty obvious that the surveyors had an agenda - and forgot to tell the admins about it. (Said admins are now running around, trying and failing to cool angry forumites because it's clear they were as surprised as we were by the survey - they just can't openly say so because their job as admins is to defend the forums).

(Note that other things were asked about other than these three, but things like the free practise change proposals were done in an unbiased fashion, from what I could tell. Which immediately reveals a fairly specific agenda for those items which did have biased questions, and reduces the possibility that the surveyors asked biased questions by accident).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle