collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 475
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jose Maria Lopez in line for US F1 drive  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Dare

Jose Maria Lopez in line for US F1 drive
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »
I thought Peter said they were going for drivers
with experience

ESPNF1 Staff / GMM
January 4, 2010  
Jose Maria Lopez: scheduled to travel to Britain and Austria in the next few days for physical training © Sutton Images Related LinksChampionship: Formula One Schedule Profiles: Jose Maria Lopez Teams: US F1 Jose Maria Lopez is in line for a race seat at USF1 and the other may go to the British driver James Rossiter, according to reports from Argentina.

Corsa claimed Lopez, who has not raced a single seater since GP2 in 2006, has recently done two days to re-acclimatise at the wheel of a Formula 3 car. The report added that Lopez would bring sponsors with him to US F1.

"In the last weeks we made much progress, but the holidays were a complication," his manager Felipe McGough said. "They are sensitive contracts. We must have patience. The idea is that the team makes the announcement."

In late November it emerged that Lopez had penned a deal conditional on the completion of his US$8m sponsor package. It is believed the delay in the finalisation of the contract is to organise bank guarantees to cover the sponsor funds.

Other reports said the team's sporting director Peter Windsor is already working on obtaining a Super Licence for Lopez and is confident of the outcome due to his Renault test duties of some years ago.

Lopez is scheduled to travel to Britain and Austria in the next few days for physical training, before going to Charlotte for seat fittings and official team events at the end of January.

According to lavoz.com.ar, Lopez said: "I think that on about the 25th (of January) I am going to go to North Carolina for the official presentation of the team, and if need be some checks on the car before the official February tests in Valencia."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Jose Maria Lopez in line for US F1 drive
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:46 AM »
I guess the Youtube guy isn't working out if they are chasing sponsorship over experience.  I have a bad feeling about them again...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »
Yeah Scott, I get the same feelings as you, I think this outfit will be a disaster and the quality of driver they are being linked with seems to be declining each day.  At this rate they'd have been better to just pick two totally random American drivers or begged Scott Speed to have one more go at F1.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
Speed should have been high on the list to begin with.  First of all he's American, 2nd somewhat experienced and familiar with most of the tracks, 3rd he is a marketer's dream with a last name like that ('nuff said about his first name).  If they are chasing $$$$ from drivers, then they are destined to be a Minardi-like outfit. 

Why don't they just go out and get more sponsors on the car?  As desperate as things are in the US, there's still a ton of money lying around if you know which rocks to look under.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:48:27 AM »
Iam fine with their choice to sing this guy, i dont agree with it but it will do... But if they are looking at another young unexperienced driver :o Those boys need to smarted up if they want a chance at a truly successful America F1 team

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
The more that I think about all of this, the more I am worried about these boys and the Campos Meta team, even their websites are behind the other two new teams (who also have stronger lineups)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
The more that I think about all of this, the more I am worried about these boys and the Campos Meta team, even their websites are behind the other two new teams (who also have stronger lineups)

You're not the only one mate!

Even Bernie has been furiously issuing warnings about these two, I suppose he is doing it to push them to up their game. It also explains why Stefan GP, possibly with a bit of Bernie's financial muscle, are still developing the former Toyota chassis to be on standby to fill a gap.

I'm not sure what the minimum field has to be for the next 3 years before Bernie gets penalised, is it still 20 cars or has it gone up?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle