collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2009 Rule Changes  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Wizzo

2009 Rule Changes
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »

The FIA has made no announcement about its plans for the Formula 1 technical regulations for 2009 but if you take a look on the FIA website you will find that a copy of the regulations has now popped up and it features some interesting changes. These have been agreed by the teams, and voted through by the World Council in the last few days. Many of the rules refer to the new Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) but there are one or two key points hidden away. Perhaps the most significant is that the rule that states that "the name of the car manufacturer must always precede that of the engine manufacturer. Should a hybrid car win a Championship Title, Cup or Trophy, this will be awarded to the manufacturer of the car" has been deleted.

This suggests that the FIA is moving away from a Constructors' Championship towards a Manufacturers' title, a controversial move.

There is also a significent change in terms of how the technical regulations are formulated with a new clause stating that after 2008 the current Concorde Agreement can no longer be used ot establish rule changes and so "changes to these or to the sporting regulations which, in the opinion of the FIA Technical Department, involve significant change to the design of a car, will be announced no later than 30 June to come into force for the next season but one. Changes needed for safety reasons may be introduced with shorter notice in consultation with the currently competing teams".

The subject of new innovation is also covered with the FIA restricting the use of new systems which are not specifically covered by the rules. These will "only be admitted the end of the championship during which it is introduced". After that the F1 Commission will be asked the review the technology and decide if it adds value to F1. If not it will be prohibited and the team will be required to publish details of the system.

There are also significant changes in the size of the cars with the maximum width increasing from 1800mm to 2000mm and the minimum width being no less than 1980mm, which more or less standardises the cars. Wheels will increase from a maximum of 355mm at the front to 365mm and at the rear from 380mm to 460mm, putting more rubber on the road.

There are changes to the bodywork rules with an increase in the allowed width between the wheels. It is significant that the maximum bodywork behind the rear wheels is being increased to 2000mm up from the current 1000mm. This will mean that there is more scope for creating downforce and ground effect. There are complicated new rules about the way in which rear wings can operate with new measuring techniques and insistence on rigid supports. The weight remains much the same, moving from 600kg to 605kg. The KERS devices are the only place where enregy can be stored and these must never have more than 60kW and energy released must not exceed 400kJ in the course of one lap.

There will be FIA-designated electronic control units and these may only use software that is FIA-approved. In addition to that competitors must have a means of removing all fuel from the car. Voic eradio communication must be open and accessible to both the FIA and, where appropriate, broadcasters. The cockpits will be fitted with red, blue and yellow lights to give drivers information concerning track signals or conditions. There will also be a warning light that will be linked to the FIA accident data recorder which will indicate the severity of an accident so that rescue crews will be immediately aware if the impact was a dangerous one.

Thoughts??

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline romephius

Re: 2009 Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »
I am prepared to take a kicking for my views here but here it goes......

I think the safety regulations outlined at the end are gonna be a great thing for the drivers.  but i believe that some of the technical regulations are starting to remove the glamour from the sport, almost to the point that F1 will be just like any other motorsport.  One of the reasons i got into F1 is that it is the pinical of motorsport, you get to see what new things the engineers can come up with and also the cutting edge work they do with aerodynamics which tend to flow on down the line to the lower forms of racing later on.  I thought part of the whole circus was the fantastical being made for cars that no mere mortal would ever get to drive under ordinary circumstances.  With all the changes it just seems to me (and i could be wrong) that they are bringing the sport to a lower level, hell lets just get it over with and call it champ car 2 or A2 racing.

PERSONALLY I DON'T LIKE ALL THE LIMITING CHANGES!!!!

Now for all who disagree, I await my punishment....

Merry christmas to you all

davewilson

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 01:01:53 AM »
I think the changes for 2009 will be another step to improving safety for the drivers.
I think all the changes have this in mind.But i fear we will go down the old path with the downforce issue,and this will only open a can of worms for the designers and teams for the future.
I can see skirts coming back,and ultra flexi wings,and drivers wearing latext over their'e suits and helmets.
It all comes down to how teams view the rules,and unless Mr Moseley, and his mates set these out once and for all,in a clear and define'd way,i can see another fiasco on the way  for 2007-09
Dont let the Teams go ther'e own way.DEFINE THE RULES WHICH THEY GO BY !! Create A BLUEPRINT Which eveyone can follow,then find them Grands if they don't.   I think i might be turning into Bernie?

The Stig
One Day All Cars Will Be The Same....??       Think On.....

Romephius: I thank you for the comments.We are not here to Kick Ass! It is not that kind of site.
We value all topics and views put into the Forum,and i would welcome more people like you, who have a view to send them in.

Well done.The Stig
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 01:58:42 AM by The Stig »

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 03:04:27 AM »
Thanks Stig, thats really appreciated.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 03:37:31 AM »

I agree with you Romephius,f1 is meant
    to be the pinnacle of motor sports.Put
    an end to engine deveoplment,aero,electronics,
    and tires,all you'll have is glorified champ cars.

I agree with the Stig on the rules.Make the rules
    and stick to them.Don't let the damper system
    fiasco happen again.If Schumi would have won wdc
    this year it would have a dark cloud hanging over it

A Merry Xmas to all the forum members from
    Louisville,Kentucky home of the Kentucky Derby :yahoo: :yahoo:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:44:25 PM by The Stig »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 07:23:58 PM »
 As I said a while ago, I smell a rat, I could'nt see them letting the 2007 series starting without a champion and it was a long time since a Ferrari let go. Was it engineered I ask myself ?(not sour grapes either )  :o
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

davewilson

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 02:50:56 PM »
Well i thought we had a champion for 2006
It may not have been the one you wanted but there it is

The Stig

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »
While I too fear that F1 is inching toward a Champ Car style spec racer series, what I find most upsetting is the move away from F1 Constructors and toward the big car companies. I'll admit, I've always been a fan of the independent teams. I've got boxes of gear from the likes of Stewart, Arrows, Minardi and Williams to prove it. One of F!'s best features was that each team ran a distinctly different car. Having all of the Constructors be nothing more than "B" teams for the big car companies (yes, sadly, even Williams) will greatly degrade the sport.

This is similar to the engine situation. Cosworth had arguably the best engine in F1, and a record and history on par with Ferrari, but are now out of the sport. The last straw was when the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) ruled that Ferrari could supply engines to three teams.

Few will argue that costs have gotten out of hand. Surely a way can be found to reduce costs without destroying the Constructors that the cost reductions were designed to save.

Happy New Year to all.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »
 Sorry Stig, I missed a line out, meant to say was it engineered to keep Alonso champion
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

davewilson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 11:35:05 PM »
Ok, Ian, it is all water under the bridge now anyway....

Kind regards

The Stig

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 11:54:33 PM »
Sorry Stig, I missed a line out, meant to say was it engineered to keep Alonso champion

maybe  i looked at it wrong,but I thought
   the fia did everything they could to give
   it to schumacher.Hadn't been for their 1st
   engine failure in years,schumacher would
   have been wdc.Two words damper system
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

davewilson

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 12:13:47 AM »
dare:You have a point,and the engine problem was only one of the factors in the final outcome of the season.

We can all sit back and review the events, but i do not think the FIA would dare to come out on a drivers side to tailor
a World Championship Place.
It only looks that way because of the rulings they give which baffle everyone at times.What if Michael had not have parked up?and been penalised,you could go on and on on this tack...........Where do you stop? At the end of the day you have to accept the rulings for the day,and ACCEPT ANOTHER CHAMPION.Regardless of What Team!
If you think different then F1 is on a very dodgy platform.I do not think they are quite the Mafia yet?
Do You?
Mind you i can imagine Bernie carrying a violin case.

The Stig

« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:39:42 AM by The Stig »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle