collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault's better fuel consumption may be advantage  (Read 1095 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Renault's better fuel consumption may be advantage
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »

This extract claiming superior fuel use is from a longer ESPN story where Red Bull critisises the FIA's failure to get engine power equalised. Whilst I agree the better fuel consumption will mean the Renault powered cars will be a bit lighter at the start I still think it will be near impossible to make up places in the early laps at most tracks, especially if the Renault engines are still down on power as Christian Horner claims. What does anyone else think about this?

The ban on refuelling this year means that fuel consumption will become a critical factor in the races. Renault, which supplies Red Bull as well as its factory team, is believed to have the most fuel efficient engine, albeit one slightly down on power. A frugal engine will allow a team to run a lighter fuel load at the start of the race, a factor that will be worth a significant amount of lap time in the early stages of a grand prix. Fuel levels will no longer have a bearing on qualifying times, as the top ten won't have to run in Q3 with enough fuel to start the race. Therefore, the Renault powered cars may qualify lower down the grid but make significant gains during the opening laps.

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Renault's better fuel consumption may be advantage
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
You're trying to convince me that the team that came in a solid second place in 2009 was using an underpowered engine?  I don't think so.

As for the fuel consumption advantage, you're right, at the beginning of the race, it won't be a help, but I'm thinking mid-race, after the first pit stop where the car is still heavy, but on fresh tires will be where an efficient engine is most helpful.  It also means that the cars will be easier on the tires in the first stint, so the 5 laps at the end of the stint might be surprisingly effective versus the competition.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
I am hoping that lack of refuelling will lead to a overtaking and demonstration of driver skill.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
I am hoping that lack of refuelling will lead to a overtaking and demonstration of driver skill.

So is the FIA.

However, there are still pit stops, there is still strategy and gamesmanship to be had.  I don't think that refueling is what stopped on track passing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle