collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 152
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2010 F1 regulations finalised  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Dare

Re: 2010 F1 regulations finalised
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
They don't sound right at all.

They do seem a little strange and unfair
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
From the F1 web site, there's enough info here http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8692/ to keep anyone happy or confused for some time!!
It does seem to contradict what has been listed here. :DntKnw:
There is no mention of cost capped teams so who knows where that came from? :crazy:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:13:16 PM by Andy B »
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »

Teams can use test drivers or try out young drivers at Friday practice this year. :swoon:

This is a direct quote from the F1 website about 2010 rules:-

"Teams may use up to four drivers during a season, all of whom may score points in the championship. A driver change may be made with the permission of the stewards any time before the start of qualifying. The new driver must use the engine and tyres allocated to the original driver.

On top of this, in each of Friday's two practice sessions teams may run additional drivers, though each team is still limited to two cars. Any holder of a Super License may run as an additional driver, but stewards must be informed of a team's plans before the end of initial scrutineering on the Thursday prior to practice."

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
I've searched high and low for these new regulations, the FIA site, the F1 site.  The only thing I can find is some forum called racedepartment where someone posted the exact same thing but without any reference to where they found it.  The members on that forum are just as confused as we seem to be.

There is a great article here that talks about the differences between the '09 and '10 regs.  The 4WD is mentioned, but not as simply as the first report outlines.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=329447
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »

I've searched high and low for these new regulations, the FIA site, the F1 site.  The only thing I can find is some forum called racedepartment where someone posted the exact same thing but without any reference to where they found it.  The members on that forum are just as confused as we seem to be.

There is a great article here that talks about the differences between the '09 and '10 regs.  The 4WD is mentioned, but not as simply as the first report outlines.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=329447

This motorsport article is more detailed and gives a better explanation, however it's dated May 09 and is about the changes Max was proposing to go with his mad two tier budget capping regime. A lot of this was thrown out when FOTA and the FIA reached agreement and the new concorde was signed.

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff about AWD, differences in movable wing angles, along with budget capping etc., has never made it to the actual regs for 2010.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
I guess I read everything but the date   :fool: :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »

4WD could be accomplished via electrical motors located at the front as part of a KERS system.  My knowledge of physics is fairly limited, but isn't an electrical KERS the opposite of an electric motor?  If you're going to put the weight into your front wheels anyway, there isn't much cost to make any KERS enabled wheel into a drive enabled wheel.

Can you imagine the engineering challenge of getting an electrical motor to sync with a high revving gas engine?  I don't know if it could be done (although they'd officially have a hybrid in F1).

How is the current KERS energy returned to the wheels?  Presumably that solution would lay the ground work for 4wd.  Plenty of road cars with 4wd already deal with the problem of when and where to apply power. 

Mechanically though... is there an advantage to 4wd in F1?  Surely to make the front wheels powerful enough, torque steering will be a large problem?  It wouldn't help in the straights, and it wouldn't help in the corners.  (I guess it would help in the rain and on the cross country section in the first corner.)

Offline littledave

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »
think some :Pones gone fishing

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »
KERS is currently routed to the rear wheels through the gearbox, with the engine power.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »
Was Poleman pulling our con rods? :(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle