collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 602
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA to keep start fuel weights secret in 2010  (Read 2394 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
FIA to keep start fuel weights secret in 2010
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:10 PM »

I suppose it appears to make sense not to publish the fuel weights, however I'm sure most of the teams will have a pretty good idea which power plants are more efficient as they will have plenty of data from last season to study & engines have not changed. If you accept this premise then the only ones left in the dark are us the paying public.  >:(

That sucks, :sick: how the hell are we meant to choose our picks in the Grid Game?  :confused:

The FIA has confirmed there are no plans to publish the starting weights of cars this year, meaning fans will not get an instant glimpse as to which engines are the most fuel-efficient.

Last year, the FIA revealed the weights of cars after qualifying - which showed the different fuel strategies that drivers would be running in the grands prix.

Although there is a ban on refuelling this year, there were some suggestions over the winter that the publication of fuel weights would remain anyway. Had that been the case, then it would have delivered an automatic reference point as to which cars were the most fuel-efficient - as they would carry less fuel than their rivals.

However, in the final version of the 2010 Formula 1 sporting regulations, the FIA has removed the rule that meant the fuel weights were published.

The ban on refuelling will put a greater emphasis on tyre change times this year, and the FIA has moved to stamp out teams using exotic pit machinery to help improve times.

Regulation 23.1 c) states: "Powered devices which assist in lifting any part of a car are forbidden in the pit lane during a race."

A new rule has also been imposed stating that if a driver is slow away on the formation lap and loses places, unless he gets back into his original start position by the first safety car line, he will have to start from the pitlane.

By Jonathan Noble Autosport.com, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Re: FIA to keep start fuel weights secret in 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »

Last year, the FIA revealed the weights of cars after qualifying - which showed the different fuel strategies that drivers would be running in the grands prix.

I never quite understood why teams were forced to reveal their strategy.  Now that it doesn't matter, I don't see the harm (but I don't really see the point either.)

Regulation 23.1 c) states: "Powered devices which assist in lifting any part of a car are forbidden in the pit lane during a race."

One thing I always liked about IndyCar/CART was the cars with the built in jacks.  The first time I saw a pitstop, and the car pop up on it's own, I thought it was so cool!  Does IRL still do that?

In the interests of safetly, I'm not sure banning 'exotic' tools is a great idea.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »
Yes, they do. A crew member sticks a compressed air line onto a coupling and up it goes!

Just think about the front Jack Man. He has to stand there while an F1 car runs straight at him and stops just inches short. I wonder how wasted I'd have to be to do that!  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Are they going to build a bunch of different tanks to suit the different track lengths?  I'd be happy to know how big the tanks actually are.  
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:21:29 PM »
Are they going to build a bunch of different tanks to suit the different track lengths?  I'd be happy to know how big the tanks actually are.  

Now that's interesting.

I know they aim to make the races the same distance, that is, the lap length isn't important to the fuel load.

What is noteworthy is that tracks with more breaking will use up more gasoline under acceleration.  So the tracks hardest on brakes will also have the heaviest cars, putting further loads on the brakes.

How much of a difference would there be between the different track types?  I'm going to guess as much as 20 kg of fuel.  Why not adjust the fuel tank to compensate?  Are the fuel tanks tested and approved to be crash worthy by the FIA?  Would a team be allowed to change the design of the tank mid season? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle