collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 609
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Virgin unveil the innovative VR-01  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Dare

Virgin unveil the innovative VR-01
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »

Wednesday 3rd February 2010

Virgin Racing unveiled a new breed of F1 car at Silverstone on Wednesday as the VR-01 is designed entirely in the digital domain using CFD.

One of the four newcomers to F1 this season, Virgin Racing was officially launched in December when it was confirmed that Manor GP had teamed up with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin brand to embark on this F1 adventure.

But it wasn't until Wednesday that the team's first challenger, the VR-01, was unveiled to the world with its distinctive red and black livery.

Designer Nick Wirth revealed that the car was designed entirely using Computational Fluid Dynamics computer modeling. And although this new to F1, Virgin have relied solely on it rather than using a windtunnel.

"Today is a very proud day for everyone involved with Virgin Racing, however on this occasion, where the car is the star, I want to pay tribute to all the amazing people at Wirth Research who deserve so much of the credit for the VR-01," said Wirth.

"I have been fortunate to have worked with the very best designers in F1 and I am well aware of exactly what it takes to be successful in this sport.

"When you see what the existing teams have achieved using the conventional but proven design approach, it is unsurprising that there is a great deal of scepticism about our all-CFD approach. But we are competing in a sport that is undergoing significant change having come face to face with today's harsh economic realities.

"Under resource restriction, convention will become too costly and necessity really will be the mother of invention. I have absolute belief in the digital design process and the opportunity to put the all-CFD approach to the test at the highest level - to demonstrate that this could be the way for the future of F1 - is very, very exciting."

Team boss John Booth admitted he was proud of the car, which will be powered by Cosworth and raced by Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi.

"Not only do we have a great bunch of people at Virgin Racing, we also have a great-looking car," he said.

"We are delighted with our fantastic new livery which provides a fitting integration of our racing brand with our important commercial partnerships. All in all, we have a lot to look forward to as we progress towards our racing debut in Bahrain next month."

Pictures to follow...

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Virgin unveil the innovative VR-01
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
So they have finally managed to unveil it, see the comments below from Autosport!

This is kind of embarrising for them as Virgin is the national fibre optic Internet & TV provider in Britain. Lets hope they have more luck when they actually run the car in anger. Nice paint job though. :good:

"The VR-01 was due to be unveiled on the team's website this morning, the team having opted for an 'all-digital' launch to mirror its 'all-digital car' - reflecting the fact that design company Wirth Research created the car entirely using computational fluid dynamics rather than using a windtunnel.

But technical issues prevented the broadcast from taking place as planned, so the car has now been revealed via the team's website later than scheduled."

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:17:16 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »

I thought I had seen Virgin's colour scheme before. Lucky for them GM have pulled out of Touring car racing, or perhaps its why they've gone for it.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxr/flash/racing/gallery/2008/1024x768/VXR_BH__001.jpg

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxr/flash/racing/gallery/2008/1024x768/ss_neal_03.jpg

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:08:15 PM by John S »

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
I like it.  For one thing it's almost half black.  For another, it is one of the first cars I've seen this season that doesn't use it's mirrors as an excuse to glue a vertical wing on the side of the car.  I also like the fact that they haven't resorted to an ugly shark fin.  I just wish they had an experienced driver to find out how fast it could be.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »

What worries me about the Virgin car is the length, their own website says its 5500mm whereas the Brawn designed Mercedes is only 4800mm from bow to stern. Surely .8 of a metre must affect the performance. :DntKnw:

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »
Wow - I didn't realize it was that long.  Might have to make a 3 point turn in Monaco  ;) ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:28 AM »
It is certainly a nice looking car, the black and red work great together.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »

What worries me about the Virgin car is the length, their own website says its 5500mm whereas the Brawn designed Mercedes is only 4800mm from bow to stern. Surely .8 of a metre must affect the performance. :DntKnw:

Well... if the wheelbase isn't longer, then it won't affect turning.

I assume that the car's weight will be as low as possible, meaning there is a larger area to distribute the centre of gravity.  It will be trickier, but also give more options.

Finally, there is going to be more area for aerodynamic effects... I'm wondering if perhaps an extended nose/diffuser might be a way of skirting the rules.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle