collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 541
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: IRL Unveils New Chassis Criteria  (Read 3079 times)

Offline cosworth151

IRL Unveils New Chassis Criteria
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »
The Indy Racing League (IRL) has released the criteria for their new chassis. Among the highlights: The car must run on road courses, street circuits, high bank speedways, short ovals and, of course, Indy. It should be lighter and safer than the current car, and cost half as much. The aero should allow close racing.

Dallara, DeltaWing, Lola and Swift are all involved in the project. The IRL hopes to have the car on track for the 2012 season.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=15726

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: IRL Unveils New Chassis Criteria
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
It's not really clear if the suppliers are all working on a common design, or are going to submit their own versions.

Surely given that every bull is a unique animal, they might go that way for IRL, right?   :tease:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
I think that's what they mean when they talk about the cars being "identifiable."

Here's the Dallara entry. To me, it looks very much like their current car, without the air box. The air box is gone because, sadly, the new cars will be turbos.  :'(

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100205/IRL/100209943
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
I think their taking a step backwards.With the new
hierarchy in place will they last until the 2012 season
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
Laura, our office manager, is a huge PBR fan. She says that Randy Bernard built it up from practically nothing. He's no Tony George, but it looks like there's hope for the IRL. Sadly, with Tony gone, I'm afraid that any chance of F1 coming back to the U.S. is as dead as a doornail.

Here are some more pix of Dallara proposals.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=15730
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »

Ooh - those pics are a bit radical for an open wheel series aren't they Cos? They are almost going in the direction of Le Mans prototypes.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »
I think that's what they mean when they talk about the cars being "identifiable."

Here's the Dallara entry. To me, it looks very much like their current car, without the air box. The air box is gone because, sadly, the new cars will be turbos.  :'(

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100205/IRL/100209943

Ford is working towards making turbos a standard feature on production automobiles.  I think that turbocharging a race car is a great idea in terms of trickle down technology that racing is supposed to be famous for.  (I can appreciate how a turbo charged engine is more expensive to design and maintain, but at some point there's got to be an effort to differentiate a 'top level' series from soap box derbies.)

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »

Ooh - those pics are a bit radical for an open wheel series aren't they Cos? They are almost going in the direction of Le Mans prototypes.

exactly.I wish they would go back to teams  with different chassis and engines.
Now even though the teams look alike the ones with the most money still dominate
the races
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
That's where this is supposed to lead. The series is talking to several engine builders as well.

F1 is far better off without turbos. They run up the costs and kill the sound of the engines. That's one of the reasons I preferred IRL to CART/Champ Car.

Blowers and / or turbos become a fad on production cars every 20 to 30 years. They were big in the mid 1930's, the late 1950's, the early to mid 1980's. They suddenly show up on everything, then the increased costs and maintenance headaches remind everyone why they faded away before.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle