collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 402
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari only car manufacturer in f1  (Read 6302 times)

Offline gato

Ferrari only car manufacturer in f1
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
What do you think about that: Ferrari is only car manufacturer in f1. Toyota, Honda and BMW have retired, Renault has sold lots of the team away. Mercedes will establish own team. What is future of this sport if there is only one big team with own cars? will the level decrease becuause now there are small teams who has financial problems and they may retire before the season has even started! :swoon:

La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

FW14B

Re: Ferrari only car manufacturer in f1
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »
Well, the Mercedes team is up and running for this year so they should be counted as being in F1.  As for having mostly independent teams, I am all for it as that is the spirit of F1, but I think more needs to be done to make sure the 'right' smaller teams get let in so we get people who can compete as opposed to people who are politically acceptable!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:23 PM »
F1 has averaged 10 teams for most of the past decade, so we'll still be ahead of that.

I'd rather see privateers in the sport. Their sole purpose for existence is to race. The manufacturers are in it for the advert value, and can pull out of F1 at a moment's notice. Toyota, Honda, BMW and Jaguar have all proved that in recent years.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
F1 has averaged 10 teams for most of the past decade, so we'll still be ahead of that.

I'd rather see privateers in the sport. Their sole purpose for existence is to race. The manufacturers are in it for the advert value, and can pull out of F1 at a moment's notice. Toyota, Honda, BMW and Jaguar have all proved that in recent years.

McLaren is also a car manufacturer.  They might not have the same history as Ferrari, but an F1 team moving into 'super cars' is the same script.

Since I started watching F1 they have lost Tyrrel, Benneton, Super Aguri, Prost, Stewart Spyker, Midland, Jordan, BAR, Sauber (since regained) and Minardi (and European Mindardi).  That's more privateers lost than manufacturers and I'm sure I'm missing some.  Are you sure they're more stable?

In fact, only three teams have been constantly in the sport since I started watching in 1996:  Ferrari, McLaren and Williams.  2/3 of which are manufacturers.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:49 PM »
Ferrari, McLaren and Williams are the only three teams still around that were in the sport 10 years ago.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »
Ferrari, McLaren and Williams are the only three teams still around that were in the sport 10 years ago.

With hope that we don't have to find out for a long long time, do you believe that Williams will continue as Williams once Frank is no longer involved with the team?

What factors would it depend on? 

I know that Ferrari had a long rich history before Enzo passed on, and was already a brand name corporate entity involved with Fiat, but what about McLaren?  How did Bruce's name survive?

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
I guess it would depend on whoever takes over from Sir Frank and how much they value the name.  I wonder if that is why Toto Wolff was brought in now to give him time to get used to the name and the values of the team ahead of any future take over so that he'll stick with tradition. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 05:16:55 PM »

I know that Ferrari had a long rich history before Enzo passed on, and was already a brand name corporate entity involved with Fiat, but what about McLaren?  How did Bruce's name survive?

Because McLaren sounds a whole lot better than "Project 4" the name of Ron's company that took over the McLaren team from Teddy Meyer.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Hampster

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »

and sauber!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Back when I posted that, BMW had pulled out & Sauber's future was looking quite dim. I'm glad they made it back.  :good:
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:35 AM »

right on Cossie!  :good:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
you could say Honda, BMW and Jaguar survived
if only in spirit only just as Toyota would have
thru Stefan
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
thru Stefan

It is unusual in the last decade for an F1 team to completely die, isn't it?  Most of the teams on the grid took over existing operations.

How many were brand new teams?

Williams?  Sauber (as an extension of BMW)?  Of course Lotus, HRT and Virgin.

McLaren was a merger of teams... I suppose McLaren or Project 4 were original teams.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »
thru Stefan

It is unusual in the last decade for an F1 team to completely die, isn't it?  Most of the teams on the grid took over existing operations.

How many were brand new teams?

Williams?  Sauber (as an extension of BMW)?  Of course Lotus, HRT and Virgin.

McLaren was a merger of teams... I suppose McLaren or Project 4 were original teams.

Project 4 was a Formula 2 team set up by Ron Dennis and with Malboro's financial backing took over the McLaren operation in 1981 , they decided to keep the existing name I suppose because Malboro saw more marketing potential with an established F1 name. McLaren cars were consistent winners in Can Am in the US and had a good record in F1, at least up to 1976. 

The cars during Ron's era have all carried MP4 prefix on their identification, it stands for Malboro Project 4. this distinguishes them from the previous McLaren cars. Since they have parted ways with Malboro Macca now say the MP4 stands for McLaren Project 4, this history re-write is similar to the Merc Silver Arrows paint stripping yarn. ;)

Other new F1 teams from scratch were Jordan in 91, Stewart in 96 both had teams in lower formulae before launching into the big league. After several owners the teams are still running under the names FIF1 and RBR.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle