collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 318
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Through the looking glass  (Read 10272 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Through the looking glass
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »
Nice one Ali, well done, you won't be disappointed.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Dare

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »
without trying to be nosy,what kind
of hat did you win Ali
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 11:55:41 AM »
It's a hat, is it, Dare? The goody bag hasn't turned up yet. Not that I'm getting too impatient with it - I won a signed Midland hat on another forum a year ago this month, and despite attempts from the forum to get the hat delivered, it hasn't arrived at my house yet. I'm sure this hat won't take so long to turn up ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Dare

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 12:38:43 PM »
Ijust assumed it was a hat,don't know for sure.
But the Wiz's word is gold om prizes :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 05:41:51 PM »
Warning! Long post alert!

Today, my prize arrived. It caused an amusing anecdote at my house. Mum picked the parcel up, looked at the first line of the label and wondered "who is this bloke and where on Earth does he live?". Dad apparently went over to see what the fuss was about, spied the parcel label and pointed out that the (very masculine) name at the top of the label was in fact the sender's name.

Still unenlightened, he looked at the next line. This had my house on, but then he saw "Alianora La Canta". At this point, Dad went to the phone book and Mum decided to look for me (since I am the only other occupant of the house). I'd half-forgotten there was post coming for me (even though I was and still am also waiting for a job application form... ...go figure). Naturally, when I saw the label, I was in a position to tell my parents that the parcel had come to the right house and it was intended for me. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be worth telling my parents what psuedonyms I use on the Internet. There's a moral in there somewhere...

The parcel was absolutely enormous. First, there were half-a-dozen inflatable plastic thingies with "No pillow" "No flotation aid" and "No toy" written on them. Clearly these were there to protect the rest of the parcel. There was absolutely no way that whatever was under that lot could be in anything but perfect condition - the combined bounciness of these things would probably have deflected a cruise missile. Having assured my parents that there was a "goody bag" under all this lot, and picturing a hat and a couple of trinkets in my mind, I removed the thingies, grinned, and spotted...

A McLaren bag. This is one of the small kit-bags in the style used by the team for pretty much all of this century so far. Black never goes out of style! Mum particularly enjoyed inspecting every single pocket. A pocket at the bottom of the bag even provided a secure wallet substitute area. In fact, there seemed to be a storage area for every conceivable purpose short of carrying a kitchen sink! It also has Mum's seal of approval for quality and likely durability - if you wanted to use it as an everyday bag, it would stand up to the wear and tear.

The bag on its own would have been a very good prize, but there was more to come. While Mum was inspecting the bag, we found that the following items had found their way on board for the trip to my house:

A bright-blue teddy bear. I called it "Kimi" - the name stitched onto the front was a good clue! It has a number "4" stitched onto the right foot paw, which makes me think that this is a 2002-spec Kimi Raikkonen support bear. It will now go to live with the large collection of other stuffed toys on my bed.

A McLaren flag. I haven't taken it out of its packaging yet, because clumsy me would undoubtedly never get it folded that tidily again :) . I can save it for special occasions.

Two A6 McLaren notepads. The silver-effect covers are so cool. Again, I want to save these for special occasions, in this case because drawing or writing on them would feel like spoiling an immaculate McLaren Technology Centre floor with spilt oil. Still, looking at them is lovely.

A "disposable" McLaren camera. I say "disposable" because it is a one-use camera, but what do you think the chances are of me letting go of such a gorgeous camera for the sake of 28 pictures? I think I'll stick to my PDA for doing pictures and putting this camera nice and safe to look at instead.

As dare predicted, a cap made its way to my house as well. A bright blue Renault team one. It's a difficult one to date, there being no label in the cap, but it is from some point between 2002 and 2006. It's a tobacco-branded version.

The Renault lanyard, on the other hand, is discreetly not tobacco-branded. I think this may have come from the same year as the cap, but it's from 2003 or later due to the i-mode sponsor. It's got two attachments on the end - one for passes and a three-pronged connector that will accept (among other things) the connector at one end of my USB flash drive. In fact, I suspect it was originally there to give the option to Reanult staff to carry removable storage devices safely.

There's a Renault F1 keyring in a presentation case. Rather than the cheap logo-on-a-ring job that you can also get from Renault (and every other team on the grid), this is the posh, heavy metallic car replica. It's a fair replica as well, even including the four grooves in each tyre. You wouldn't want to put car keys on it, but that's not a problem for me as I only have a house key so far! Besides, it's so pretty that I think it would be better off in its case and put on a table to enjoy being seen.

GP Wizard obviously wasn't taking any chances with the Renault T-shirt. It's an XL, which is the largest type of T-shirt sold by the teams. I'm an L, but I like baggy tops, so I'm happy. It's one of the simple style of top, with "Renault F1 Team" emblazoned across the top. It will be great for bright summer days.

Finally, there was a Renault pen. A tobacco-friendly 2002-2006 version, it writes in a solid black ink and looks pretty sturdy.

I would like to thank GP Wizard enormously for this very generous prize and for creating the competition in the first place. Also, I'd like to thank everyone else who competed in the competition for giving GP Wizard an opportunity to use his hat, as well as for making me smile a lot during the contest. Happy foruming and best of luck for the next competition!  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
Nice prize eh Ali, knew you would'nt be disappointed. Nice one to you too Wiz, well done.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Dare

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 01:48:24 AM »
Some nice gifts Ali,ain't the Wiz generous :yahoo:

Offline romephius

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »
Great one there Ali.........that Wiz is just a saint in a harry potter hat.......

Rom

Offline johnbull

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »
Vote WIZ for Pope. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Hats are pretty similar anyhow. ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »
Well done, Wiz! :good:

You shouldn't have mentioned all the Renault goodies. Dare will be jealous!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle