collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 561
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Major split for USF1 from team founders possible  (Read 1306 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Major split for USF1 from team founders possible
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »

In this long piece, from Autosport, big cracks look to be appearing between Ken & Peter on the one hand, and Chad Hurley & the workforce on the other. Unfortunately I think once recriminations like this are in the public domain it seems almost impossible that the genie can be put back into the bottle.

My own personal opinion is that Campos & USF1 will somehow become amalgamated, mainly because of committments to drivers with backers but also because of the Senna name, and Stefan GP will inherit the last grid slot.

One thing I can't fathom is why USF1 is short of cash if Hurley, a multi millionaire, is still commited to the progect?  Perhaps in the fullness of time we shall learn just what, or who, held up development in December & early Jan. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81664

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:51:57 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline judy

Re: Major split for USF1 from team founders possible
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
I don't think Bruno Senna deserves a race seat in F1. He obtained a distant second place in GP2 (he scored more than 10 points behind the champion Pantano in that season) and the only reason there were a lot of publicity about various teams showing interest in him in F1 is because of the name Senna. I doubt anyone will show any interest in him if he has a different surname. I will not be surprise if he end up just like Piquet Jr.

I followed the live timing of the 24 hrs Le Mans last year and he performed so badly throughout the race. Each time he took over the driver, the car dropped from about 13 ir 14 place to above P20. Then his teammates had a hard time to make up laces to about P13 or P14.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
I agree that it is strange that if Hurley is the major backer for the team that they are short on resources...surely he knew that it wouldn't be in the black for at least a few years, and he would have to fund almost everything to get it up and going.  If he was pulling on the purse strings at such an early phase, he should be looking at billboard marketing, and not F1.  By the way, he is more than a billionaire ($1,600,000,000 US was what he got from Google for YouTube, and he still has a large chunk of YouTube equity).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »
People don't get rich by flushing money away.  No matter what Hurley is worth, he's not going to throw good money after bad... unless he sees F1 as a true calling (such as Williams or Brawn).

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but the F1 that Campos and USGP signed up for isn't the same one they're competing in now.  I guess it was arrogant of them to assume they could double their budgets, but once the FIA has your deposit, what choice is left?

It is a shame that the people running USGP (and Campos) couldn't sort things out with time to spare.  It's always ugly when things become public; it only hurts everyone involved.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
Maybe not, but if the source is correct, it sounds like they didn't have even a sub €40m budget if they couldn't get the first tub finished or properly staff their design department.  Also, don't forget that it was Windsor and Anderson that were beating their chests about doing F1 'right'.  They also were the ones who said they were going to run both a US Manufacturing base AND a European logistics base - all under the budget cap (something that amazed me when they announced it.

As for Mr Youtube, there is an old saying that if you want to make a small fortune in motor racing, start with a LARGE one.  And it applies to modern F1 more than ever.  If he was so naive as to think it would really be anything but a large marketing money-pit, then he didn't do much research.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
USF1 cannot have been helped by the fact one of their few confirmed sponsors, Locstein, has pulled the plug on their deal with the team.  It does almost seem like the best, and only option for both teams is to pull together both sets of assets into one team.  The rumours of this seem to be growing too, from what I can tell!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle