collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 384
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'US F1 could skip 2010 season'  (Read 9311 times)

Offline Dare

'US F1 could skip 2010 season'
« on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »
Then Stefan would get the spot and USF1 would be
in the cornfield for next year as well

17 February 2010

The US F1 team could decide not to compete in Formula 1 this year, according to reports in the Argentinean press on Tuesday. It is also believed that driver José María López could now switch to the Campos team as US F1 sponsor YouTube engages in discussions with the Spanish outfit.

With the futures of Campos and US F1 both having rumoured as uncertain for several months, not least by F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone, Argentina's sole driver for the 2010 season could now switch to Campos and join fellow South American debutant Bruno Senna.

López was signed by US F1 last month
According to several reports in Argentina's newspapers, US F1 joint-owner Peter Windsor has informed the father of López that the Charlotte-based operation may miss its first three races and possibly the entire season.

Furthermore, Germany's Motorsport Total claims that YouTube founder Chad Hurley, the primary investor in the US F1 team, has met in London with José Ramón Carabante of Campos and Felipe McCough - Manager of López - with a view to switching the former GP2 driver to the Madrid squad.

The possible absence of US F1 could also open the door for Serbian hopefuls Stefan GP - new owners of several Toyota F1 chassis, engines and gearboxes - which claim that they are ready to race, should a position on the grid become available.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

Re: 'US F1 could skip 2010 season'
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »
More from Autoweek,it appears to be over and to make
things worse for Windsor he has lost his Speed TV job

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100217/FREE/100219906
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:50:22 AM »
I would have sworn last year when announced that this team would have been the one most likely to make the grid.  If it fails it does little to endear F1 to the US at a time when the sport needs all the help it can get there.

Offline littledave

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
I think it's a great example of how the US just doesn't "get" F1.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
I don't think USF1 skipping 2010 can lead to Stefan GP being on the field as a "substitute team". If skipping a whole season is allowed (it was under the old Concorde Agreement, but only if you forfeited 25% of your bond, which no longer exists as a system), then the grid slots would be kept blank pending USF1's arrival.

This to me has been a case of the wrong people with the wrong attitude. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the USA who could do a better job if only they had the enormous resources USF1 commanded/could have commanded had it got things as right as, say, Virgin or Lotus.

It's worth adding that Peter Windsor left his job at F1 Racing to take on USF1 as well, so he's basically starting from scratch if USF1 goes to the wall. I'm hoping against hope that it is still "if", that these rumours are wrong and Peter Windsor is simply applying the old Midland-spec tactic of ignoring rumours it does not like.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »

It's more an example of F1's continuing blunders and snubs of the U.S. The 6 car fiasco here in 2005, Bernie's constant "F1 doesn't need the U.S." blasts, these all get big play in the press over here. So does the fact that F1 pulled the race out of Indy, while giving races to venues that have smaller crowds on race day than Indy had for the Thursday Walk-About.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline littledave

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »

It's more an example of F1's continuing blunders and snubs of the U.S. The 6 car fiasco here in 2005, Bernie's constant "F1 doesn't need the U.S." blasts, these all get big play in the press over here. So does the fact that F1 pulled the race out of Indy, while giving races to venues that have smaller crowds on race day than Indy had for the Thursday Walk-About.

Good point.

What I meant was that for an American branded team failing to muster up the financial backing from their huge wealth maye show that F1 is a no brainer in the US

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »
I guess talking about F1 is a lot easier than running an F1 team.

It's a shame that Windsor didn't understand what he was getting into, I would love an American based F1 team... it could lead to a Canadian based one!

Offline judy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Is it because most people in US are more interested in Nascar and Indy series than F1 (of course we have some diehard F1 fans from US in this forum) and this resulted in the failure of USF1 team to get financial backing from the huge wealth in US. I could be wrong but is this the reason for the lack of interest by the big companies in US to provide the sponsorship to the USF1 team. Maybe they are more interested to sponsor for the Nascar and Indy series due to the popularity of the series in US compared to F1.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
The US is going thru a money crisis just like the
rest of the world resulting in sponsorship problems
for all motor sports here

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
Is it because most people in US are more interested in Nascar and Indy series than F1 (of course we have some diehard F1 fans from US in this forum) and this resulted in the failure of USF1 team to get financial backing from the huge wealth in US. I could be wrong but is this the reason for the lack of interest by the big companies in US to provide the sponsorship to the USF1 team. Maybe they are more interested to sponsor for the Nascar and Indy series due to the popularity of the series in US compared to F1.

In the USA there is a certain degree of contempt for anything 'European'.  It's not a genuine hatred, but just an idea that if something comes from Europe, it's not intended for Americans. (And vice versa.  Americans don't expect Europeans to appreciate anything American.)  Since F1 is seen as a European Sport, it is easily dismissed by a large number of American fans.

However, what F1 doesn't seem to understand is that the United States has more people than any two European countries put together.  Even if fewer Americans are F1 fans, there is actually a larger fan base there than pretty much any other country in the world.  It's no mistake that Montreal and Indy are two of the highest attended races ever.

In the USA F1 will always be second to NASCAR, and maybe third to Indy (the future of the IRL is certainly up for debate... but most IRL fans will be interested in F1... indeed, there are probably more F1 fans in the USA than Indy...).  Like I said earlier, I just don't think that F1 is interested in having the second biggest piece of pie... blind to the fact that a slice of the American pie is more than most countries can provide.

Offline judy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
 I think there are potential for F1 in US that perhaps F1 is currently not paying much attention to. With the popularity of NASCAR and IRL in US, there is a base of interest in motorsport and maybe F1 did not try to tap into this potential for greater interest. I am not surprise, with Bernie making silly comments every now and then, and introducing F1 race in new venues which do not even have race circuit.

As for financial crisis resulting in lack of sponsorship, I think the crisis is on the road of recovering and perhaps the situation will change before year end.

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »

In the USA there is a certain degree of contempt for anything 'European'.  It's not a genuine hatred, but just an idea that if something comes from Europe, it's not intended for Americans. (And vice versa.  Americans don't expect Europeans to appreciate anything American.)  Since F1 is seen as a European Sport, it is easily dismissed by a large number of American fans.

However, what F1 doesn't seem to understand is that the United States has more people than any two European countries put together.  Even if fewer Americans are F1 fans, there is actually a larger fan base there than pretty much any other country in the world.  It's no mistake that Montreal and Indy are two of the highest attended races ever.

In the USA F1 will always be second to NASCAR, and maybe third to Indy (the future of the IRL is certainly up for debate... but most IRL fans will be interested in F1... indeed, there are probably more F1 fans in the USA than Indy...).  Like I said earlier, I just don't think that F1 is interested in having the second biggest piece of pie... blind to the fact that a slice of the American pie is more than most countries can provide.

Contempt for anything European is something new to me and
I bet Cos too.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
Contempt for anything European is something new to me and
I bet Cos too.

I'm not trying to start anything, but surely I didn't imagine 'freedom fries', the whole football/soccer thing, or the low box office results for non-Hollywood movies... or even tea/iced tea/coffee.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
The only place I've heard it is on radical right wing radio. It's surprising how many products over here are touted as "European Style!"

NASCAR is running in front of empty stands. F1 could be moving in on that. As it is, the NHRA seems to be picking up a far chunk of disgruntled former NASCAR fans. ESPN is now showing every one of the NHRA's top level races. Ford has greatly expanded it's profile in the sport, as has Toyota.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle