collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 157
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16181 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13026 Posts
John S John S
11301 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Stefan GP expecting entry confirmation within a week  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Dare

Stefan GP expecting entry confirmation within a week
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »

ESPNF1 Staff
February 24, 2010 
Zoran Stefanovic with a mock-up of the S-01 © Stefan GP Stefan GP boss Zoran Stefanovic is expecting to know in a week's time whether his team will be on the grid for the season opener in Bahrain.

With US F1 looking less and less likely to make the first race, Stefan GP is hoping to be granted a position on the official entry list instead. The team has a Toyota-based chassis and engine ready to run and Stefanovic is confident he will reach a deal with the FIA within the next week.

"Definitely, we are waiting for something to happen because the time is very short and the deadline for Bahrain is approaching," he told Reuters. "If you are going to Bahrain you have to be packed by next Wednesday and we think we will be able to reach something by then." When asked if his outfit could join F1 later in the season, he said: "Technically it's possible but we are going to be in Bahrain. We are not saying it's for sure, but we are looking forward to it."

Stefan GP faced its first major setback this week when it was forced to cancel its first test due to a lack of suitable tyres. However, Stefanovic is hopeful a solution will be found that will see his car run before the start of the season.

"We have been unable to get the Formula One tyres because the FIA and Formula One have a contract stipulating that only the teams that are already in Formula One can get the Bridgestone tyres," Stefanovic said. "We believe the FIA has to release the proper tyres to us for safety reasons. We expect it to happen and we have very good faith that it is going to happen."

He also said that he was on the brink of confirming 1997 champion Jacques Villeneuve as a driver alongside ex-Williams man Kazuki Nakajima.

"It's not happened yet but everything except his signature has been done," Stefanovic said. "Probably in the next two or three days, we will be reaching some sort of an agreement."

He added that he has the support of Bernie Ecclestone in bringing the Serbian team to Formula One.

"I've been involved in engineering in the last five years and I've been interested in Formula One for a long time," he said. "I think Bernie supports everyone and I think he supports us because we are pushing for it. We are working, not talking.

"The impact will be huge and a lot of people in Serbia don't realise that yet. The positive image of Serbia being a part of Formula One is something any country would wish for, so it's a plus one way or another. Also, it's a huge opportunity to get into high-tech business."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Stefan GP expecting entry confirmation within a week
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
 I never thought I'd see the day when JV is back in F1.  I'm sure Jeri's thrilled, but I doubt she will be casting him as a dark horse...or will she? ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
I never thought I'd see the day when JV is back in F1.  I'm sure Jeri's thrilled, but I doubt she will be casting him as a dark horse...or will she? ;)

I've previously said that Stefan might be capable of a Honda/Brawn type surprise, and that was before any talk of JV taking up the car.

It fits even further too:  both Villeneuve and Button were washed up Williams drivers who had histories of outrageous contracts, and decided to take an open seat at a pay cut just to get back into an F1 car.

It's interesting to note that the Stefan team will be using two ex-Williams drivers, as well as ex-Williams engine supplies.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:16:16 PM »

I've previously said that Stefan might be capable of a Honda/Brawn type surprise, and that was before any talk of JV taking up the car.

It fits even further too:  both Villeneuve and Button were washed up Williams drivers who had histories of outrageous contracts, and decided to take an open seat at a pay cut just to get back into an F1 car.

It's interesting to note that the Stefan team will be using two ex-Williams drivers, as well as ex-Williams engine supplies.

I have to take you up on your Jenson comment, Frank farmed him out after one sucessfull season to Renault for a couple of years, to make way for Montoya, and from there he went to BAR and outdrove Jacques in the first year and took 3rd in the WDC the next year behind the all conquering Schumi/Rubens Ferraris. He scored most of the BAR teams points 04 to 06 in a so so car and in 07 the dreadful Honda car allowed Super Aguri to make them all a laughing stock. The 08 car was just as bad which is why development stopped part way into the season.  

He did he buy himself out of a return to Williams, turns out that had he gone back to Williams he would have missed his big opportunity when it came. He can hardly be labelled as washed up if Frank wanted him back. His departure from Brawn became inevitable when the team stalled negotiations with him during the Merc takeover (it appears Jens is not German :swoon:), which driver on the grid would not take a solid offer to drive a McLaren when most other seats were filling up?

Jens will be in the hunt for the title again this year, I'll be suprised if Jacques can even stay on the pace! :P

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:31:10 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »

It fits even further too:  both Villeneuve and Button were washed up Williams drivers who had histories of outrageous contracts, and decided to take an open seat at a pay cut just to get back into an F1 car.

I have to take you up on your Jenson comment, Frank farmed him out after one sucessfull season to Renault for a couple of years, to make way for Montoya, and from there he went to BAR and outdrove Jacques in the first year and took 3rd in the WDC the next year behind the all conquering Schumi/Rubens Ferraris. He scored most of the BAR teams points 04 to 06 in a so so car and in 07 the dreadful Honda car allowed Super Aguri to make them all a laughing stock. The 08 car was just as bad which is why development stopped part way into the season.  

He did he buy himself out of a return to Williams, turns out that had he gone back to Williams he would have missed his big opportunity when it came. He can hardly be labelled as washed up if Frank wanted him back. His departure from Brawn became inevitable when the team stalled negotiations with him during the Merc takeover (it appears Jens is not German :swoon:), which driver on the grid would not take a solid offer to drive a McLaren when most other seats were filling up?

Jens will be in the hunt for the title again this year, I'll be suprised if Jacques can even stay on the pace! :P

Neither driver was 'washed up' while employed by Williams.  I'd never even imply that.  They did wash up at BAR/Honda... not even to say that's a fair judgement of their skills, but a simple statement on their results.

I was just going for the Williams angle because of the engine, and Nakajima.

If I was a betting girl, I'd put Button/McLaren ahead of Villeneuve/Stefan.  However, I'd have put Hamilton/McLaren ahead of Kimi/Ferrari and both ahead of Barichello/Brawn... and as such, hold out hope that Jacques/Stefan will not embarass themselves.

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
I'm afraid the  JV to Stefan deal won't
have the same happy outcome as the
Button to Braun.I have doubts if he'll
even last one season
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
I reckon JV will last one season, but probably only that and will be moved to a management position of some form after that.  I also cannot see Toyota suddenly managing to produce a stunning car, they had enough time and money to do it before so I cannot imagine they'll have done it in their car for 2010, especially given there were quite so many rumours they'd pull out of F1 anyway.  Still, I just want this sorry saga to end and have a confirmed grid for this year.

Offline romephius

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
I'm with you there Williamsfan.... all the politics and debate about it all has managed to keep me fairly quiet.... now I just want it all to settle down so I can create accurate spreadsheets for scoring our grid game....

Rom

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
Hello again, rom. It's good that the silly season will be over soon, isn't it? ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
Hello again, rom. It's good that the silly season will be over soon, isn't it? ;)

Probably the longest silly season of all time.  (Although last year's last second entry of Brawn was pretty close)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Given that the 2009/2010 silly season started last April, I wouldn't blame anyone for being exhausted and fed up with it at this point.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

FW14B

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:34:16 PM »
We just need the racing to start, then things ought to calm down a little.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle