collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: US F1 offers compensation to miss season  (Read 5234 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
US F1 offers compensation to miss season
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »

If Mad Max was still in charge he would no doubt just accept the money, I wonder which way the new boy Todt will call it?

The struggling US F1 team is offering Formula 1 governing body the FIA a 7-digit compensation figure in return for missing the entire season this year, American broadcaster SpeedTV reports.

With Charlotte-based US F1 still determined to become America's first Grand Prix team, the squad has come under yet more pressure in recent weeks as hopeful Serbian outfit Stefan GP hopes to push for the withdrawal of the former in order to make room on the grid for itself.

However, SpeedTV now reports that US F1 co-founder Ken Anderson and Chad Hurley - head of YouTube, a major partner of the team - have now offered to hand over 'a substantial 7-figure surety bond as proof of their intentions to race next year'.

It has also been reported that Hurley remains committed to US F1 despite reports elsewhere in the media which suggest he is now considering a switch to Campos.

gpupdate.net, today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: US F1 offers compensation to miss season
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
From what I've read, USF1 would get the money back if they make the grid next season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
I like when Toyota decided to enter F1, and they realised they weren't ready and pulled out.  That was a very responsible move:  F1 doesn't need cars that are rushed, possibly unsafe and quite likely embarassingly off pace.

However, there was no team waiting in the wings to replace Toyota.

If USF1 isn't ready to race:  don't.  If another team takes their place, then that's too bad.

I have a feeling that no matter what FIA decides, they will need FOTA and Bernie to agree (Concorde is involved, after all.) 

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
It all sounds a bit strange...why on earth would the FIA save their grid spot for next year, when they can sell it to more than a few others?  7 digits doesn't cut very far in F1 - try 8.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
It all sounds a bit strange...why on earth would the FIA save their grid spot for next year, when they can sell it to more than a few others?  7 digits doesn't cut very far in F1 - try 8.

Well... they might not have anything on FIA, but just how fast YouTube pulls down FOM video might be able to negotiate from 8 down to 7 figures...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
I think the Serbian Vultures, as Ferrari called them, have stepped on too many toes at the FIA and elsewhere to expect any favors.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »
I think the Serbian Vultures, as Ferrari called them, have stepped on too many toes at the FIA and elsewhere to expect any favors.

You may well be right Cos, it should only takes one vote against Stefan GP from the existing teams and they can't be allowed in. However I think that ringmaster Bernie just may have other ideas and convince the FIA to use Force Majeure rules if he really wants Stefan GP on the grid in Bahrain.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
USF1 signed on to race in 2010 and if they
can't tough,give the spot to Stefan
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

FW14B

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »
I agree, they signed up for this year and put out many teams who were arguably in a better position at the time to be involved in F1, so if they cannot get onto the grid in 2010, they should not be allowed in next year either. 

I notice there have been noises that the team had signed James Rossiter to parter Lopez, I wonder why these rumours are coming out now? 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:04:41 PM »
Stefan bought a year old junker off Toyota. Where will they get a car next year?

http://en.espnf1.com/teamus/motorsport/story/9664.html
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
I agree, they signed up for this year and put out many teams who were arguably in a better position at the time to be involved in F1, so if they cannot get onto the grid in 2010, they should not be allowed in next year either. 

I notice there have been noises that the team had signed James Rossiter to parter Lopez, I wonder why these rumours are coming out now? 

I say open the sport up.  The first thirteen teams with a legal car built and tested are your grid members.  If you're team 14, thanks for your deposit, better luck next year.

It actually provides some good opportunities:  if your off season programme suffers, take a season off, get the car right (unlimited testing!), and be first in line next year.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
So, we end up with some flash-in-the-pan teams, who buy some old beater and show up. They can do start and park like NASCAR. Meanwhile, investors, manufacturers and sponsors run away because they'll have no assured return on their investment.

We've run with 10 teams for years now. There was a major hassle about whether or not there should be a 13th team. So, why is it now the end of the world if we go one season with 12?
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
So, we end up with some flash-in-the-pan teams, who buy some old beater and show up. They can do start and park like NASCAR. Meanwhile, investors, manufacturers and sponsors run away because they'll have no assured return on their investment.

We've run with 10 teams for years now. There was a major hassle about whether or not there should be a 13th team. So, why is it now the end of the world if we go one season with 12?

So a one day quali:  the fastest 13 cars.  If a big team can't show up with a reliable car, they don't deserve to be there.  Certainly 'historic' teams would get an exemption, or else Ferrari would never go for it.

Imagine if Renault or Honda had been allowed to take a year off to get their teams back in order?  Would they still be in the sport?  There will be a stable group of teams, and there will always be 'vultures' circling. 

It's not really much different from 'relegation' which is very common in European sports.  (And would be welcome to kick some of the pro teams into action in North America)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 02:44:56 PM »
Renault still is in. Honda and Toyota were dead meat no matter what. The reason for the first Concorde Agreement was to do away with what you advocate. It was killing F1.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
Renault still is in. Honda and Toyota were dead meat no matter what. The reason for the first Concorde Agreement was to do away with what you advocate. It was killing F1.

'Renault' is in F1, but Renault S.A. is not.  Honda and Toyota don't act like they were given a chance to take time off to get things in order either... 100% committment or nothing.  (I'm not saying that anything could keep them in... and now I wonder if Toyota knew about the recall problems they're having now, and that was a reason to pull out of F1... but I digress)

I only started really following F1 when the grid was more or less stable.  I'm not sure when Concorde came into place, but I know that it was designed to stop people from showing up for a weekend to try and squeeze into the grid.  I'm not advocating a return to weekend free for alls.

I'm just suggesting that there are always teams not so serious about F1 racing.  (I'm not saying that the owners/engineers/dirvers aren't passionate dedicated professionals, just that they know they aren't going to win, and just hope to get some TV time.)  If someone believes they can do better, why not give them one shot each year? 

Campos/Hispania and USF1, if they are allowed to race this year, won't even have conducted a test, and yet fit the rules of Concorde, but certainly not the spirit.  I don't know if Stefan is really better than any of the other entries, but if they claim to be, how does keeping a better team out of F1 add to the sport's prestige?  If they're not better, let them have a test, and it's no big deal to tell them to put their half baked operation to bed.

At the end of the day I'm very disappointed in USF1, and to a lesser degree Campos.  I don't want any substandard teams on the grid.  It's embarassing to have 20 cars out there when 26 were 'promised', but 6 cars that are falling apart, begging for sponsors, and driven by spoiled kids with a rich uncle isn't what I'm tuning in for either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle