collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: US F1 offers compensation to miss season  (Read 5179 times)

Offline judy

Re: US F1 offers compensation to miss season
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
I fully agree with Jeri that substandard teams should not be allowed on the grid. FIA have already made big mistake of approving teams without making a thorough investigation on the financial aspects. They have to put a stop to all these mess and not replace one substandard team with another substandard team. I think only teams who are fully committed to strive for competitive racing through development, and with strong financial backing should be allowed on the grid, not teams who are taking part just to make up the numbers or just to get some TV time.  :nono:

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
One report has USF1 down to 2 employees,hardly
a full fledged race team.Some ask what Stefan
would do next year after buying the dog[Toyota]
which I don't think was that bad of a car.what did
Brawn do this year after buying the dog Honda?Improved
their driver lineup is all.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
I've read all kinds of reports. Most say USF1 is still fully staffed. I refer you to the link in an earlier post of mine on this subject.

There is no one at Stefan who could do Ross Brawn magic, so I doubt that the cars will be even as good as last year. What happens then Stefan blows up an engine? I'm sure Toyota isn't building parts for them anymore.

Does that mean you would have dumped teams like Minardi or Super Aguri? Force India, Red Bull, STR and even Williams have had seasons when they under performed. Should they have been thrown under the bus?

F1 needs stability in its structure. It needs teams that make the long term commitment. It doesn't need a team of year-old backmarkers.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
Teams like Minardi SA,Force India,Red Bull,STR,
and Williams to name a few actually showed up
on the grid with a car.I admit these teams had
years with a bad car just like Toyota,so why single
out Toyota as the poster boy for bad cars.

Im all for a US F1 team!!!Maybe Penske will show them how
to do it one day.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 04:01:23 PM »
Toyota had one of, if not the biggest budget on the grid for 10 years and never won a single race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
I think they had too many shoguns and not
enough samurais ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Toyota had one of, if not the biggest budget on the grid for 10 years and never won a single race.

Their reputation for quality seems to be showing under their skirt now - maybe it's no surprise they didn't win a thing with their budget.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »

Their reputation for quality seems to be showing under their skirt now - maybe it's no surprise they didn't win a thing with their budget.

All car manufactors have had their share of
quality control problems at one time or another.
That's how the Japanese became a world force
in the car market.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »

There is no one at Stefan who could do Ross Brawn magic, so I doubt that the cars will be even as good as last year. What happens then Stefan blows up an engine? I'm sure Toyota isn't building parts for them anymore.

Probably not.  One test will be enough to demonstrate that.

Does that mean you would have dumped teams like Minardi or Super Aguri? Force India, Red Bull, STR and even Williams have had seasons when they under performed. Should they have been thrown under the bus?

I was thinking specifically about Minardi and to a lesser degree Arrows... Paul Stoddard was quite proud of the fact that he had the worst F1 team.  Midland, Spyker... they certainly never gave the sport a genuine effort (and rightly sold out once they realised they were in over their head). 

I'll admit, my plan might have scuppered efforts from FIF1 and RBR/STR... both organisations have been fantastic at building a programme year over year.  There's no reason why USF1 and Campos can't do that.  There's no reason why they can't take a year off, like Toyota did, and get things right.  Just... if someone else is ready to step in, why not give them a chance?

F1 needs stability in its structure. It needs teams that make the long term commitment. It doesn't need a team of year-old backmarkers.

It does.  However, in the time since this 'stable' arrangement was made we lost Toyota, BMW and Renault SA.  (The Renault loss was different, but people would point it out if I missed it.)  We came close to losing Manor, USF1 and Campos both hang by a thread, and Sauber comes across as a duty to the people on payroll, rather than an organisation out to win (Williams too, I'm sad to say.)  Even FIF1 isn't guaranteed to show up (or has this corporate house thing been resolved?)

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
Just teasing, but it is a bit crazy that they've spent upwards of 2.5billion and nothing to show for it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Just teasing, but it is a bit crazy that they've spent upwards of 2.5billion and nothing to show for it.

Just think of the recalls they'd of had
if they hadn't spent 2.5 billion testing
in F1.Might have saved them thousands  :o

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
FIF1 is safe. They've filed the required paperwork.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=359080&FS=F1

Stoddy was not proud of being the worst team on the grid. He was very proud of being able to do as well as he did with the small budget he had. Minardi's "mouse that roared" spirit was why fans all over the world, including me, loved them.

One test will be enough to demonstrate that.

Only if they fry an engine in the first test.

Loosing Toyota was an example of stability. F1 wouldn't re-write the rules to suit Toyota, like NASCAR did, so they failed and left. NASCAR brags that there rules are written in pencil, that they change from race to race.

Sauber, Williams, Minardi and the like stay in F1 because it's their sole reason for existence. They stay because it's their passion. It's just an advertising sideshow to the BMW's and Honda's of the world.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »

what did Brawn do this year after buying the dog Honda? Improved
their driver lineup is all

Baa! Baa!...... keep counting sheep in your dreams.  :P   

Mind you are half right Michael for Rubens is no contest. :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »

Loosing Toyota was an example of stability. F1 wouldn't re-write the rules to suit Toyota, like NASCAR did, so they failed and left. NASCAR brags that there rules are written in pencil, that they change from race to race.

Sauber, Williams, Minardi and the like stay in F1 because it's their sole reason for existence. They stay because it's their passion. It's just an advertising sideshow to the BMW's and Honda's of the world.

I'd love 13 privateers in the field... but I don't know how anyone can expect to compete with Ferrari and McLaren on an ongoing basis without the advertising sideshow.

Is the current mechanism going to help out?  Honda, Toyota and BMW pulled out as their programmes regressed.  Conversely, McLaren and Ferrari had off seasons, and they just buckled down.  Would Mallya or Mateschitz keep their teams going if they suffered a collapse like Honda did?  (I hope so, but tough to say.)  How to know which teams will stick it out, and which will throw in the towel?

If the FIA lets USF1 sit out a season, what's to say they'll be ready for next year?  The team has had a full year to produce a racer, and don't seem to be close at all.  If they were to show up with a car that just isn't up to par (like Toyota did), then I can understand that... I can see that they're trying.  Maybe they've got something to show the FIA behind closed doors?  I can respect that.  But the idea that they'll be able to double their budget with zero product... it's a tough sell.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 07:23:57 PM »

Im all for a US F1 team!!!Maybe Penske will show them how
to do it one day.

Roger had a go years ago and found it a lot harder than it looks. ;)

Penske entered a car for Mark Donahue in 74 & 75 seasons then in 76 ran John Watson, in 77 the Penske team became ATS but used the Penske PC4 chassis for one final year.

Carl Hass, another big name in Cart/Champ/Indy, also had a stab with a Beatrice funded Hass-Lola team in 85 & 86. He found it just as tough going and pulled out. Some good came from the Hass time in F1 though as Ross Brawn began his career as a designer for the team. :yahoo:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:30:59 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle