collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 360
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes 'Super Diffuser' rumour  (Read 1163 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Mercedes 'Super Diffuser' rumour
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »

Add this to the other rumour about Ferrari having a triple diffuser and it may be either a stalemate, a killer blow or just a damp squib from Ross Brawn.  

The F1 world is holding its breath to see if Mercedes GP can reveal a diffuser that enables Michael Schumacher to win the season opening Bahrain GP.

According to paddock rumours as the final winter test wrapped up in Spain at the weekend, the new 'super diffuser' will only be fitted to the W01 for the beginning of Friday practice at the desert venue. Brackley based Mercedes and Schumacher ended the last Barcelona timesheet a few tenths off the pace.

"I do not know what Brawn will have in Bahrain, but we'll see if it is really something new," Ferrari's Fernando Alonso is quoted as saying by the El Pais newspaper on Sunday. "For me, it is just a rumour, like many others," the Spaniard added.

However, the mumblings about the radical diffuser persist, particularly as Ross Brawn's team originally pioneered the controversial concept and arrived for the first race of 2009 with a dominant car.

But Sauber's Pedro de la Rosa doubts Mercedes is set to shock the F1 world with another radical concept. "Now all the cars have a super diffuser and there will be no surprises because the rules have been stretched thin by the engineers," said the veteran.

updatef1.com, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Mercedes 'Super Diffuser' rumour
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »

But Sauber's Pedro de la Rosa doubts Mercedes is set to shock the F1 world with another radical concept. "Now all the cars have a super diffuser and there will be no surprises because the rules have been stretched thin by the engineers," said the veteran.

It might all come to nothing on the track, but how can someone with 'veteran experience' possibly dismiss F1 engineers so publicly? 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
Driver's always think they are the biggest factor, and engineers and designers are just tuners who fiddle the car. :D Early in testing Michael said he didn't think Merc would be able to win early in the season. Now he thinks they have a good chance. Sort of makes you think they have something up their sleeves.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
Everyone may have a super diffuser, but not all super diffusers are equal because there are at least two competing trains of thought - going below or above the blockage caused by the rain light and accompanying materials. If Mercedes picks the right philosophy, it could be onto a winner (literally). If it invents a third methodology, that could do anything. The wrong philosophy could doom its chances for the year.

All will be revealed in a week and a half...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
a week and a half, whoops, there goes the adrenilin rush again.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:59 PM »
Everyone may have a super diffuser, but not all super diffusers are equal because there are at least two competing trains of thought - going below or above the blockage caused by the rain light and accompanying materials. If Mercedes picks the right philosophy, it could be onto a winner (literally). If it invents a third methodology, that could do anything. The wrong philosophy could doom its chances for the year.

All will be revealed in a week and a half...

It's amazing:  across 10+ teams you've got probably more than a billion dollars spent, millions of man hours, enough computer calculations to predict weather for a 1000 years, and it all comes down to a little jagged piece of metal (carbon? fibreglass?) full of holes.

They could save money by making the cars 99% standard, and just letting each team have their own diffuser   :DD

I'm more excited for this season than any I remember.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
I very much fear this will be a bad year. So much changes with the refueling ban it would not surprise me to see one team get it right and the others be out to lunch. I hope not.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle