collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 320
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Stefan GP not given 2010 Grid Slot  (Read 4681 times)

FW14B

Re: Stefan GP not given 2010 Grid Slot
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
That is a good point about the Toyota engines.  Once gone I cannot imagine Toyota going out their way to make new parts out the goodness of their hearts, even to keep Nakajima on the grid.

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
Stefan NEVER had an entry. Toyota returned their entry to the FIA.

All of the teams you mentioned had engine suppliers. Stefan doesn't. They have left over engines that no one even makes spare parts for any more. As soon as an engine goes ker-blammo, it's game over. Ditto the trans, suspension, etc.

I wonder how many engines and gear boxes Stefan
received?I thought most teams just replaced engines
and gearboxes not rebuilt them.

In the beginning USF1 was asking to miss a few races
why couldn't Stefan have missed one or two races
then joined the F1 circus later?

Maybe it's just me but once USF1 was out why not give Stefan
a chance,the more teams the merrier.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »

Have you forgotten that Ferrari don't like "the Serbian Vultures" so as usual in F1 - what Ferrari wants Ferrari gets... ad infinitum.

The Presidency may have changed but the sentiment remains the same.  :crazy:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
Have you forgotten that Ferrari don't like "the Serbian Vultures"

I guess even Ferrari can be right once and a while.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
The FIA has no precedent to transfer the entry in such a short space of time without a reserve option. Stefan GP was not the reserve, so it needed to have bought USF1 or Campos to get an entry. It didn't, so it didn't. That's how it works.

F1 can be a brutal place, Zoran.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

FW14B

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
Again good points Ali.

Zoran also did not help his cause a lot by kicking up so much fuss over the selection process.  Harsh but undoubtedly it did not work in his favour.  I doubt they'll have a look in for the 2011 selection.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »
Did I not read that Stefan GP would offer their car up as young driver testing facility. Basically if they failed to gain entry, they were going to offer teams the chance to use their 2010 spec car to test their young guns out and see if they would be any good. A good idea and allows them to get some cash back from their purchase from Toyota. It is a shame they didn't get in considering they were further along than USF1 (mind you I was further along in my F1 preps than them!) and even Campos at one point.

FIA at their blinkered best. But then I guess Todt never forgave Villeneuve for not crashing out in '97 after he got in the way of his Ferrari, maybe if they had Ralf in the car rather than him SGP might have been on the grid? Nah, who needs some common sense when more controversy would be better eh?!

FW14B

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
That would be a great idea if it happened, and a good opportunity for youngsters to gain actual experience of racing an F1 car.  The only problem is Bridgestone wouldn't let them use F1 standard tyres, or even GP2 level I believe, so the tyres wouldn't be fully representative of what they could expect to race on, which is just stupid.  But no money no deal, and no F1 slot, no deal! 

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 09:27:57 AM »
True on the tyres but obviously no slot means they are unrestricted to test as much as they like. If they were clever they would speak to Michelin about developing their new tyres for when they take over from Birdgstone!

FW14B

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »
Interesting about the tyres, I read somewhere that Bridgestone might just carry on as they are still the best option.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I thought they couldn't afford it any more? Oh well, just a thought.

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »
True on the tyres but obviously no slot means they are unrestricted to test as much as they like. If they were clever they would speak to Michelin about developing their new tyres for when they take over from Birdgstone!

Absolutely, or any other wanna-be F1 tire company...I'm sure there are a few out there.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
Did I not read that Stefan GP would offer their car up as young driver testing facility. Basically if they failed to gain entry, they were going to offer teams the chance to use their 2010 spec car to test their young guns out and see if they would be any good. A good idea and allows them to get some cash back from their purchase from Toyota.

I'm not sure the FIA or some of the other teams will be too impressed by Zoran's test offer as it looks like he is just jumping on the bandwagon of Anthony Hamilton's (Lewis dad's) new venture.

Hamilton senior has I believe got FIA approval and will be re-using old chassis from grid teams to give rookies experience in F1 machines for some years to come. Because of this I can't see Bridgestone or any other tyre supplier breaking ranks to supply F1 standard rubber to the Serbian team for just one or at best 2 years without the nod from the FIA.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Good point. Anyway, wasn't Zoran the baddie in A View to a Kill?! Maybe thats why the FIA don't like him?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle