collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Stefan GP not given 2010 Grid Slot  (Read 4686 times)

FW14B

Stefan GP not given 2010 Grid Slot
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »
According to the official FIA entry list:

1  Jenson BUTTON (GBR)        VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES (GB)
2  Lewis HAMILTON (GBR)       VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES (GB)

3  Michael SCHUMACHER (D)     MERCEDES GP PETRONAS FORMULA ONE TEAM
4  Nico ROSBERG (D)           MERCEDES GP PETRONAS FORMULA ONE TEAM

5  Sebastian VETTEL (DEU)     RED BULL RACING (AUT)
6  Mark WEBBER (AUS)          RED BULL RACING (AUT)

7  Felipe MASSA (BRA)         SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO (I)
8  Fernando ALONSO (ESP)      SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO (I)

9  Rubens BARRICHELLO (BRA)   AT&T WILLIAMS (GB)
10 Nico HÜLKENBERG (D)        AT&T WILLIAMS (GB)

11 Robert KUBICA (POL)        RENAULT F1 TEAM (FRA)
12 Vitaly PETROV (RUS)        RENAULT F1 TEAM (FRA)

14 Adrian SUTIL (D)           FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM (IND)
15 Vitantonio LIUZZI (I)      FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM (IND)

16 Sébastien BUEMI (CH)       SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO (I)
17 Jaime ALGUERSUARI (ESP)    SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO (I)

18 Jarno TRULLI (I)           LOTUS RACING (MAL)
19 Heikki KOVALAINEN (FIN)    LOTUS RACING (MAL)

20 TBA                        HRT F1 TEAM (ESP)
21 Bruno SENNA (BRA)          HRT F1 TEAM (ESP)

22 Pedro DE LA ROSA (ESP)     BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM (CH)
23 Kamui KOBAYASHI (J)        BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM (CH)

24 Timo GLOCK (DEU)           VIRGIN RACING (GB)
25 Luca DI GRASSI (BRA)       VIRGIN RACING (GB)

Note: The USF1 Team have indicated that they will not be in a position to participate in 2010.

FW14B

Re: Stefan GP not given 2010 Grid Slot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
More on this from the autosport website:

Stefan Grand Prix's hopes of getting on the grid in 2010 as Team US F1's replacement suffered a blow on Wednesday night, when the FIA announced only 12 teams on its 2010 entry list.

Following weeks of speculation about the fate of the final slots of the grid, following US F1's uncertain future, the sport's governing body finally released the list of competitors for 2010.

Team US F1 was absent - with a note at the bottom stating the team had: "indicated that they will not be in a position to participate in 2010".

The FIA said no replacement could be considered so close to the start of the season.

"Having considered the various options, the FIA confirms that it is not possible for a replacement team to be entered for the Championship at this late stage," the FIA said.

"In the coming days the FIA will announce details of a new selection process to identify candidates to fill any vacancies existing at the start of the 2011 season."

The entry list also confirmed that Campos has been renamed HRT, and that BMW Sauber will retain the 'BMW' moniker for 2010 despite the German car manufacturer having pulled out of the sport last season.

The FIA also confirmed Sauber's team numbers - which has been uncertain for several months after it temporarily lost its entry. Pedro de la Rosa will be number 22, and Kamui Kobayashi 23.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
Kind of interesting that 'BMW' is slotting in ahead of Virgin, but behind Lotus and Hispania.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:40:46 AM »

Looks like Bernie's predication, last year, about not all the new teams making it to the races has come true once again proving he really does have his finger on the pulse of F1, pity the FIA can't say the same.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:30 AM »
Yeah, in this situation it seems Bernie was right.  Still questions must be raised about the whole selection process and whether Bernie had any say in that. 

Offline littledave

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:58 AM »
Shame that. Waste of the Toyota chassis as well because next year it's all change!

david1275

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
Does seem a terrible shame that they are ready to "Rock 'n' Roll" and they won't get a chance, and we won't get to see a 26 car grid.  :(

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
Does seem a terrible shame that they are ready to "Rock 'n' Roll" and they won't get a chance, and we won't get to see a 26 car grid.  :(

I'd just like to know WHY the FIA has punted them.  Maybe there's a good reason (remember when 'BMW' was dropped in favour of Lotus because their backing turned out to be imaginary?).  However, as long as the FIA simply says 'thanks but no thanks', it smacks of conspiracy.

So far we only have Stefan's word that they're ready, which is equal to what Anderson offered up for USF1.

I want 13 cars out there.  I want to see if Toyota bailed on the sport at the exact wrong time like Honda did.  I want to see if Jacques Villeneuve has remembered how to race.  Most of all, I want to see the 'New FIA' Todt promised.

FW14B

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
I agree Jeri, it would be great to know why this decision was reached.  They say it was too late to bring in another team, but why when that team was allegedly ready to race and had it's gear in Bahrain.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
Honda didn't leave at just the wrong time. If last year's car would have been run in its usual corporate method, and if it would have had a Honda lump in place of the Mercedes engine, they would have still been back markers.

Stefan bought a junk car & engine from last season, thumbed their nose at the entire system and said, "We're going to show up anyway, so you have to let us in." I'm just as glad that they won't be in. They have no supply or tech support for their car or engine, so they would be gone after the first few races, anyway. Better off without them from the start.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »
Honda didn't leave at just the wrong time. If last year's car would have been run in its usual corporate method, and if it would have had a Honda lump in place of the Mercedes engine, they would have still been back markers.

Not sure you are seeing straight about the Brawn designed car last year, with it's superior design advantage in the first half of the season it would still have won the races with the Honda power - it would even have done it with the cosworth lump in it! :P

I grant you the second half would have been more tricky but I'm certain they would have won the constructors title and pretty sure the WDC as well. Honda deserves credit for putting together the package that produced the car, Oh! and bank rolling it of course.
At least they left F1 with some dignity unlike the other Japanese team.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
I agree John with your Honda comments.On
certain tracks the Toyota wasn't a bad car and
don't forget they did win a pole last year.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »
I agree John with your Honda comments.On
certain tracks the Toyota wasn't a bad car and
don't forget they did win a pole last year.

How many of the current teams on the grid were built using the bones of an old team?

RBR can trace themselves back to Stewart.
STR goes back to Minardi.
Mercedes goes back to Tyrell.
FIF1 goes back to Jordan.
Even Ferrari got their start by using old Alfa Romeos when Enzo's old team quit racing.
(And lets not forget that Sauber was once known as Sauber...)

An F1 team has got to start somewhere.  So what if Stefan comes in last place this year?  VJ Mallya is quite open that he knew the Spyker was a POS, but the only way he could race F1.  Ferrari, for a team that brags about their long history in F1, missed the first ever race... they didn't have their supplies lined up yet.

So, if the FIA comes forward and says that Stefan doesn't have a great business model, I'll accept that.  (No need to slag the owners, but on the other hand that's exactly what they did to BMW.)  But if the only thing I hear is a competing team that missed THEIR first race complaining about Stefan's organisation, that's not really much to go on.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Its been said that Stefan cannot race as they have missed all the testing but HRT have just announced that their first running will be in Friday practice!! :crazy: :tease:
Its all a bit smelly to me! :DntKnw:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
Stefan NEVER had an entry. Toyota returned their entry to the FIA.

All of the teams you mentioned had engine suppliers. Stefan doesn't. They have left over engines that no one even makes spare parts for any more. As soon as an engine goes ker-blammo, it's game over. Ditto the trans, suspension, etc.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle