collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Dull Season-opener prompts call for further change.  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Chris Borg

Dull Season-opener prompts call for further change.
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:50:43 PM »
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100316/sport/dull-season-opener-prompts-call-for-further-change :sick:

Let`s hope that Jean Todt stamps his Authority, and convinces Bernie to instigate the necessary changes!!!! :good:

You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline Jericoke

Re: Dull Season-opener prompts call for further change.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
The best a mandatory 2 pit stops can accomplish is having the passing occur in the pits via strategy, rather than on track action.  One of the reason why refueling was banned to stop this from happening.  Is the solution really to just bring back something we were complaining about?

The rules need to change to make the cars leave no wake... or even better, produce an aerodynamic effect that actually aids following/passing cars.  I understand this would be difficult to police, but a low tech portable wind tunnel should be sufficient for post race scrutineering.  It won't rescue this season, but it's a way forward.  (I guess in the mean time, 3 sets of tires per race it is.  At least the drivers won't be worried about protecting tires as much.  In theory.)

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
I think there has been an over-reaction.
We do not know that the cars cannot overtake. In the first race it is clear that the Ferraris were overheating when they got in the slip-stream so they backed off.
It is also clear that nothing went round corners like Vettels Red Bull so he held people off even with a down-on-power car. Other than that, quite simply nobody tried to overtake (except for the Lotus / Virgin battle).

Button had downforce problems with his car so he didn't attack Schumi.
Webber just didn't show any aggression so he didn't attack Button.
I think we need to see a few more races before we condemn the new regulations.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
The rules need to change to make the cars leave no wake... or even better, produce an aerodynamic effect that actually aids following/passing cars.  I understand this would be difficult to police, but a low tech portable wind tunnel should be sufficient for post race scrutineering.  It won't rescue this season, but it's a way forward.  (I guess in the mean time, 3 sets of tires per race it is.  At least the drivers won't be worried about protecting tires as much.  In theory.)

I don't think it would be as hard to police as you think.  One problem is the front wing, which could be mandated with one or two elements, with no endplates (ok, with two you'd need an endplate, but it could be a simple rectangle) and half as wide as they are now.  Rear wings could also be mandated, but the design would have to be more carefully thought out to, like you say, aid following or passing cars.  Certainly a lot smaller and lower.  Bodywork outside of mirrors should be completely banned - no winglets of any kind and get rid of diffusers completely.  Template points along the bodywork would stop any outrageous designs (a la IRL), but even with that, a clever design could probably make one car dominant over another (keeping people like Newey employed in the sport - which I'm in favour of). 

Is it do-able?  I doubt it.  Too simple for the FIA and a bit less advertising space for the teams...nobody would agree.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
You talk a lot of sense there Scott, it all makes perfect sense, so in true F1 form, I must say 'Burn the heretic  >:D'

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
I gave up on F1 last year after repeated dull waste-of-time parades of mobile advertising.
I challenge anyone to prove that Bahrain was actually a motor race.
If it is not possible to pass another car on the circuit, it is not a race, even in normal rush hour traffic I can pass other cars.
And don't get me going on qualifying... if every team gets to start in the race, they all qualify.... so what is the point except to set up the grid with the fastest cars at the front and the slowest at the back, and if nobody can pass during the race the entire excercise is an insult to our intelligence.
The effects of "dirty air" affecting following cars is well known, and obviously the solution is to eliminate that factor. The reason that there is a problem for the following car is because his wings lose effectiveness, and the cause of this is the turbulence from the wings of the leading car. Ergo get rid of the wings.
The purpose of the wings (and other aerodynamic stick-ons) is to generate downforce, which artificially increases the traction of the tires. If the FIA want to fiddle with rules, all they have to do is limit the amount of downforce generated by the bodywork/chassis. Preferably to zero.
If you want to argue that this would diminish the "pinnacle of motorsport engineering", I would suggest that the word "pinnacle" does not mean quite what you think.

No doubt that reducing aerodynamic downforce will reduce cornering speed, but the only person who would notice this is the driver... the people in the stands do not care if the cars are going around a curve at 160 mph or 140 mph, they want racing not parades!
Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this subject, because I am tired of wasting time watching this stuff.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 03:19:53 PM »
There were 29 successful overtaking moves in Bahrain, not counting anything that happened on lap 1, pit-lane changes of position or passes resulting from someone retiring. That's above average for a Grand Prix.

The trouble was that the camera missed lots of moves and most of them proved completely meaningless as one or both parties to the overtake retired with technical problems.

We need meaningful racing that we can actually see...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle