collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 526
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 55 mtre pit stop rule?  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Andy B

55 mtre pit stop rule?
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
What is this all about I did not comprehend what the rule is, if a car is with 55 metres of what? It cannot be released from its pit box???

If anyone is aware and understands what is going on please let me know as until the pit stops started I had no idea. :DntKnw: :fool:

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

david1275

Re: 55 mtre pit stop rule?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
Not up to speed with that on either Andy.  :DntKnw:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »
If a car is within 55 metres of your pit box, you may not release a car that is in it.

Each team has a marker along the pit wall.  If there is a car between the marker and your pit box, you must hold your car in place.

In previous seasons there has been debate about some teams getting a penalty for releasing a car into traffic, and others not getting a penalty.  The previous rule was to use the marshall's judgment if it 'dangerous' or not.  Different mashalls judged differently... now there is a hard and fast rule.

I don't know that the rule is good or bad, but I'm glad the FIA made some movement on the issue before someone was severely injured, especially with these 4 second pit times, there might not be enough paying attention to safety.

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »
Got to agree there Jeri, now we're not relying on personal judgement, if there is a car in the zone you can't let your car go. It's definite and thats it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »
Yeah, it is a positive rule to save people coming out dangerously, some pitlanes are narrow and more open to accidents as well. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »

I agree with the rule in principle but 55 metres is too much, the speed is limited so it is an excessive margin, in some of the short pit lanes this year it's bound disadvantage more cars - may even change the outcome more than today.  :crazy:

Can't be right that a safety rule can alter the outcome in the race.   :nono: :nono:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:09 AM »
Thanks guys, I wonder why the BBC never mentioned this in the build up?
I have to agree with John you can have too much safety!!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:05:05 AM »
Maybe after a few races this rule will be moderated a little to make the distance a little shorter?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
I wish someone had actually bothered to write this into the regulations before implementing it! That might be why the BBC didn't mention it before the race.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
There you go again, Ali. Expecting common sense from the F1 rule makers.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
How on earth did it end up being implemented?!  Crazy stuff!  Thanks Ali!

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
My guess is that it was implemented as a "clarification", which doesn't require any regulation re-writing provided that Charlie Whiting officially tells all the teams of the change in a pre-weekend briefing. Note that there is no requirement to officially tell us, or even the drivers unless compliance with the "clarification" requires a change in driving.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
So my first thought is that if the car right behind your pit area is released before you are, say by only mere fractions of a second, do you get a penalty for being released? The pit areas are closer than 55m together right?
Personally, I think all these regulations and rules changes are going to lead to a very boring spectacle. Motor racing is dangerous, stuff is gonna happen. Refueling is dangerous? BAN IT! Cars trying to gain positions in the pit area? BAN THEM FROM MOVING IF WE CAN SEE ANOTHER CAR COMING!
You're worried about fires in the pit area? Anyone ever seen a youtube video of what happens at a gas station in the event of a fire? A huge cloud of dry chemical extinguisher is released and puts the fire out via an overhead system. It works really well.
During a pit stop with fueling there was WAY too many people over the wall. Watch a Nascar race, or IRL race...One gas man and a possible helper for the rig. Two tire changers with a catcher for each. That makes 6 people maximum. Heck, Nascar refueling has this huge gorilla carrying  :o the fuel can which is gravity fed into the tank, along with a guy to catch the overflow. You get your typical F1 pitstop last year and you've basically got an entire soccer team and its accompanying fans all crowded around a 200mph, overheated ballistic missile that doesn't like to stand still! Of course something is gonna go wrong. Make 6 people max the limit and make them do all the work. Slow down the pitstops! I don't find 7 second or less pit stops exciting at all.
The way things are heading, this time next year there will be no stops at all and with the current aero packages, they're be no passing either (except of course the backfield, but we don't get to see them anyways!) . One long 1:45 fight for advertising TV time.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
Absolutely!  100% with you Darrell.  I've never understood why F1 needs 20 guys surrounding the car.  Send the boys to the gym and use 6-7 of them to do the same thing.  Nothing wrong with the gravity fed fuel either...I'd be happy with 20sec pit stops.  It would shake the field up even more until they are all sorted out.  Think of the strategies they'd have to come up with to calculate where everyone will be at the end of the pit stops.
 :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
So my first thought is that if the car right behind your pit area is released before you are, say by only mere fractions of a second, do you get a penalty for being released? The pit areas are closer than 55m together right? {Canada Darrell - 2 posts ago}

I think they usually are closer than 55m (the amount varies by track, and China's may well be above 55m) I think it only applies to cars that are in the "fast lane" at the time of release (as opposed to the "slow lane", where the cars are worked on), but I can't be sure because of the secretive nature of this regulation's arrival.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle