collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 284
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sao Paulo Street Circuit  (Read 1590 times)

Offline PG_Gabriel

Sao Paulo Street Circuit
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »
Now this is impressive!! I read that in the Sao Paulo Indy 300 there were 95 total passes over 61 laps!!! Now Thats Impressive!! watching the race i felt that on every lap there was a challenge for the lead... Do you guys think it was the circuit or the cars? obviously some was the circuit but do you think if F1 raced there there would be a good amount of passing?

Offline Dare

Re: Sao Paulo Street Circuit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:53:10 AM »
I think it was the cars.Indy car now is
a more exciting race series to watch,and
they evven have Sato now and a first
lap crash
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:17:04 AM »
Indy cars can certainly follow each other more closely than F1 cars.  Maybe F1 should swallow some pride and look over the pond for some inspiration for a change?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »
Indy cars can certainly follow each other more closely than F1 cars.  Maybe F1 should swallow some pride and look over the pond for some inspiration for a change?

I know a few years ago they put in a lot of effort to creating a rear wing that encourages passing - when their first effort failed, they went back to the drawing board and kept trying.  That's why I know that F1 can do such a thing if they were to try.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
There were also 5 different leaders, with 3 lead changes in the last 10 laps alone.

The IRL now uses three different rear wings set-ups, with 1, 2 or 3 elements, depending on the track. This was down to find a compromise between performance and passing.

http://www.indycar.com/tech/content/34098-wing-configurations/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:13:36 AM »
In addition you will not find a large diffuser under the back of an Indy car. Unfortunately they are all the same and since Ganassi and Penske have the bucks, they have the best of the Equal Cars.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
In addition you will not find a large diffuser under the back of an Indy car. Unfortunately they are all the same and since Ganassi and Penske have the bucks, they have the best of the Equal Cars.

Lonny

The 'spec' aspect of IRL is a turn off for me, that's for sure.

Many years ago I read about the ground effects of an Indycar, and was surprised to learn that F1 doesn't use ground effects.

Do current IRL use ground effects?  If so, perhaps F1 would be better served by ground effects?  (My fluid dynamics is a little rusty, but are ground effects as senstive to turbulance as aero effects?)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Ground effects were used in F1 many years ago. Colin Chapman built the first ground effects car for Lotus. Ground effects have been banned in both F1 and Indy for many years.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle