collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 335
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Not what I expected!  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Andy B

Not what I expected!
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
After sleeping on this I have decided that if this race was what the season is to be it is going to be a quite uninteresting.
All the effort into making the cars run closer to aid overtaking has dissapeared and there is little overtaking unless someone makes a mistake.
Rosberg could not even get past Vettell with a wounded car.
Something needs to change but I do not know what. :DntKnw:

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

FW14B

Re: Not what I expected!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:04:18 AM »
I agree Andy, I am really worried based on yesterday about the state of F1 in 2010.  The new teams are going to take a while to gain reliability and performance which doesn't exactly make for great viewing.  But more frightening is how dull the racing was.  Cars seemed unable to follow each other and I thought that was supposed to have gone with the removal of all the aero devices.  Having top-heavy cars certainly will never help things.  Added to that, seeing them all lap what was it, 6 seconds behind qualifying times, is just wrong.  These cars should be going flat out all the time, not having to be nursed home as was the case yesterday. 

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:36:02 AM »
The tyres were also too good I expected  to see them sliding around because they had gone off but if they were not forced into using the two types they could have gone the whole race on a single set.
This just gives ammunition to the "its boring" brigade. :(

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
You three have said it all. I made a cup of coffee, came back and it was the same, went into garden for a smoke, came back, just the same, and to think we've looked forward to this for months.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
Quick fix, an old idea but as we've already regressed to no refuelling why not tell back markers don't have to let the front runners pass! They can bunch the field up and hopefully increase chances of overtaking for the short term.

The only way they will stop this dullness is by somehow allowing teams to develop cars that are able to run in clean air but then can be altered to run in dirty air when out on track. The front wing is not the answer on its own, we need movable devices really. Never happen though as it costs too much and is ungovernable.

Offline F1 Florence

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
 :-*I couldn't agree more. What a boring race and for the third year, I have bought tickets to see a race. What a stupid idea to make everyone drive on full tanks. Part of the challenge of F1 is to psyche the other teams out by going low on fuel at the right time. I cannot believe that Bernie has done this and expects us to watch without complaining. Poor show, I'm afraid. Guess I'm too late to get a refund.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
I'm holding out hope that the first race was just a matter of everyone playing it safe, seeing how the new rules and regulations play out.

Now that everyone knows how it feels, they'll start playing with strategy, and learning where to take risks.  I have a feeling there is more to come from the mind of Brawn, and the hands of Schumacher.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
I'm holding out hope that the first race was just a matter of everyone playing it safe, seeing how the new rules and regulations play out.

Now that everyone knows how it feels, they'll start playing with strategy, and learning where to take risks.  I have a feeling there is more to come from the mind of Brawn, and the hands of Schumacher.

yeah, me too Jeri; it will be fascinating to see how the managers and the drivers learn the ropes
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
I agree with just about all the comments here. My excitement and anticipation for the first race of the season was rewarded with a dull and uneventful race. To make matters worse the cars were lapping slower than ever and boy, didn't it show?

In my office I have a 'mixed bag' of sporting fans but it always amazes me how even the ones who don't follow F1 always manage to watch some of the race and have an opinion on it. I have never seen them all agree on a race - until this morning.

Bahrain probably had one of the highest viewing figures for F1 for a long time, mainly due to the fact that it was the first race of the season added to the welcome return of Mr Schumacher. So what did the world see? The most boring spectacle F1 has put on in years.

What has happened to F1? My only saving grace is to tell myself that things can only get better. This is still all new to the teams and you can practice until you are blue in the face but this will never simulate full race conditions. Lets hope the teams/drivers/organisers were all as surprised as us by the lack of events and are now making plans to rectify the problem.

Despite many people saying to me 'I won't bother watching the next one', I of course will be there, as will many of you. Lets just all keep our fingers crossed that the 2010 F1 season does not finish how it started.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »
I think (or to be more accurate, I hope) that the problems relate to it being the first race under these regulations, a terrible track and un-tested high temperatures.
Lotus and Virgin proved it is possible to overtake. Hamilton and Alonso (who was completely disregarding team instructions) proved it was possible to drive fast.
The teams now have a better understanding of what the tyres will do, so we now we need a track where fuel consumption isn't such a worry and perhaps we will actually get some racing.

FW14B

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
Well put Wizzo.  I am definitely not writing off the regulations yet but based on the first race you cannot be too excited about what is to come.  I'm sure by the Friday of the Melbourne GP I'll be back to being full of excitement though.  Just I hope the teams can come to an agreement on making more of a spectacle, maybe by adding more pitstops as has been suggesting or by pushing Bridgestone into making 'worse' tyres that degrade quickly and cause drivers to have to alter their styles and perhaps make mistakes leading to more overtaking and fighting on track. 

Bring on Australia and hopefully a better second Grand Prix.  However I think for many the swords will be out if that race is as dull as Bahrain. 

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »
I know part of it was the boring track. Melbourne is much better. This does make the case for having the first race of the season at a good track. Still, the overweight, full fuel cars will be with us all season. Like you, Wizzo, I will continue to watch and hope for better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
To show how predictable this race was look at
how many people had all 8 drivers correct in
the GG.That surely wasn't the case last year.

I agree the Bahrain track made for a boring race
but  I'm afraid with Tilke we have more not less
boring races in store for us.I too will be there for
Australia with high hopes.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
Bridgestone could make tyres that are competative and give more grip but with less durability this means those running on old rubber will be hunted down by those on fresh.
I believe Nigel did just that once by accident he had a new set because of a puncture.
Now theres a thought issure the marshals with "Stingers"!!!! >:D

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Bridgestone could make tyres that are competative and give more grip but with less durability this means those running on old rubber will be hunted down by those on fresh.
I believe Nigel did just that once by accident he had a new set because of a puncture.
Now theres a thought issure the marshals with "Stingers"!!!! >:D

A great idea, and the reason why Bridgestone wants out.  How can they possibly enhance their reputation by designing a tire to degrade?  There's a million great ideas for tire, but I don't see how an established rubber company could get behind any of them.

For my crazy tire suggestions:
  • Force teams to use 3 compounds, not two.  More strategy, more stops, more variety.
  • Force teams to start their drivers on opposite tires.  This will certainly be trickier with the 'start on your Q3 tires', but maybe this would superced that rule.  It'll make it pretty clear who teams think their B driver is.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle