collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 530
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Not what I expected!  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Not what I expected!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
Ok, if refuelling is gone due to safety, make every car stop for 2 10second stop-and-go's at each race...only thing is they can choose whenever they are to take place (but no tire changing allowed).  It's more than a bit artificial, but something's got to get things going.  Either that, or only make tire compounds last 20 laps or so (I think someone's already mentioned something like that). 

Seriously, I hope everyone (Bernie, FIA, Teams) figure out that this has to change and they only have a race or two to do it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
Definitely a dull race, it's hard work watching race cars laden with fuel driving round with drivers concerned with conserving their tyres, engines and gearboxes. This is not what F1 should be all about, but unfortunately this is what it is becoming. The rule makers are trying to make the sport run with smaller budgets, wrong IMO. I know with potential lower budgets it attracts new blood to the sport, but at what cost to the sport. I would rather watch 16cars light as possible racing flat out and burning out 3 or 4 sets of tyres per race, than watch 24 on a economy run. It won't stop me watching F1 as it would seem I am genetically programed to watch it no matter what. :DntKnw:

PS Didn't Ferrari do well?  :yahoo:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
If hard core F1 fans like us found the race dull, I sure many new or casual fans just tuned out.

Autosport has an article where Fry, Horner & Whitmarsh all call for change.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82162
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »
If hard core F1 fans like us found the race dull, I sure many new or casual fans just tuned out.

Autosport has an article where Fry, Horner & Whitmarsh all call for change.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82162

Sounds like a bunch of solicitors to me!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
Well, I got through 1/3 of my Jenson Button book that I've been meaning to read since Christmas... ...but I don't think that was the intention of the new regulations.

However, I think the lack of imagination from the strategists and the ridiculous new circuit design were responsible for the problems in the race, so I don't think mandatory pit stops will help. There needs to be more options for flexibility and overtaking, not fewer.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:57 AM »

IMO the only real shot term awnser is through the tyres and the choices of pit stops for teams. If they bring in 2 mandatory stops the teams will simply cover each other, so stalemate again. The answer I think is for one set of a much stickier short lived super super soft tyre to be available as well as the 2 other choices, it should be green striped just like the normal soft so no one will know when they are deploying it.

There is no need to use the super sticky set, but they are there should teams choose to gamble on them. the teams would still need to use the other 2 compounds so gamblers must make at least 2 stops.

Come on- lets see just how fast an F1 car can lap. :yahoo:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »
Yup...boring (sorry about that!)

Mandatory pit stops? It's been already said..if everyone has to do it, then its just "even steven"

Tires that degredate after 20 or so laps? No way one manufacturer would agree to that, let alone the mess if another one steps up to enter the fray.

Fueling and the resulting weight differential have, to me, obviously shown that that was the primary reason for position changes and exiting lap times and on-track battles.

So if they wanna put skirts on (no offence ladies!) to safen up the sport (right, like going 200mph isn't dangerous you can't figure out how to put fuel in a car?) I would propose these EASY ways to try and bring some ecitement to future races because if you ask me, its gonna be one long parade for the rest of the year under this current system:

1 - Take a page out of North American racing on tire stops..4 men only over the wall to change tires.  2 to do the actual work, and the other two as mere tire jockies. Tire changers would have to switch sides. Get down and dirty!

2 - Fer gosh sakes, bring back fueling, but instead of trying to stuff 1000 litles of fuel into a tank in x number of seconds, use a standard fuel rig that us chumps have to use!

3 - Automatic disqualification if a car is let go early during a fueling stop. I think we would not see any more crew members bowled over if that were the case.

just my uninformed 2 cents
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »

1 - Take a page out of North American racing on tire stops..4 men only over the wall to change tires.  2 to do the actual work, and the other two as mere tire jockies. Tire changers would have to switch sides. Get down and dirty!

2 - Fer gosh sakes, bring back fueling, but instead of trying to stuff 1000 litles of fuel into a tank in x number of seconds, use a standard fuel rig that us chumps have to use!

3 - Automatic disqualification if a car is let go early during a fueling stop. I think we would not see any more crew members bowled over if that were the case.

just my uninformed 2 cents

1 - I like the idea of a limited pit crew.  That would cut costs in terms of safety equipment and insurance.

2 - I don't mind the non-refueling.  The problem I have is that the engine designs are frozen from an era of refueling.  Why not open the engines back up, and let them choose between power and efficiency when designing them?

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »

2 - I don't mind the non-refueling.  The problem I have is that the engine designs are frozen from an era of refueling.  Why not open the engines back up, and let them choose between power and efficiency when designing them?

The only problem I see there is that inevitably (you know engineers!) you are going to have engines producing about the same amount of power, give or take a few horsepower. I still think the combination of tire wear combined with a possible 40-60 kg (or whatever) difference in weight between race cars will make for more exciting racing situations in the long run.
I also like the idea of backmarkers not getting blue flagged. They're still in the race and if you're so fast, go ahead and pass...when you can! If they block outside the governing rules, then black flag them.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
1 - I like the idea of a limited pit crew.  That would cut costs in terms of safety equipment and insurance. {Jericoke - 2 comments ago}

It may interest you to know that in qualifying, the pit crew is already limited to four (it didn't make it into the regulations, but Force India tweeted that this change had come in during the pre-season testing, so at least with that regulation there was notice!)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »

IMO the only real shot term awnser is through the tyres and the choices of pit stops for teams. If they bring in 2 mandatory stops the teams will simply cover each other, so stalemate again. The answer I think is for one set of a much stickier short lived super super soft tyre to be available as well as the 2 other choices, it should be green striped just like the normal soft so no one will know when they are deploying it.

There is no need to use the super sticky set, but they are there should teams choose to gamble on them. the teams would still need to use the other 2 compounds so gamblers must make at least 2 stops.

Come on- lets see just how fast an F1 car can lap. :yahoo:

How about removing the stripe entirely?  Sure, after a couple of laps it's obvious which tire a team is using, but for quali, and off the start, you don't know.  As a fan, I don't know that the sport is better for knowing the team's strategy.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
As a fan, I don't know that the sport is better for knowing the team's strategy.

Couldn't agree more! Bad enough we now know everyone has to start on a full tank of fuel! There's just no suprises anymore.

Offline Dare

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 03:59:25 AM »
Everyone talks how great and exciting last years
racing was but I think it was more the fact that
different cars performed better I different tracks.Even
Toyota won a pole.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 06:01:57 AM »
It really has nothing to do with tires or refueling or any of that. Many years ago, if you pitted at all you lost any hope of winning, and there were plenty of exciting races. It's power and aero. Too little power and too much aero. All diffusers should be banned. They cause the turbulence that prevent the cars from following too closely. Front wings should be reduced so the loss of downforce behind another car is lessened. And lets crank up the power. If you can light up the tires any time you stomp the gas the drivers will have to drive, not just be foot to the floor all the time. Watch a Rolex Grand-Am race, they have severely limited aero and though they could also use more power, the cars slip and slide around, use all kinds of strategy and pass each other. F1 drivers are spoiled by too much grip and the only possible way to reduce that is less downforce and/or more power.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle